Author Topic: Facial recognition fails! Wrong man arrested, jailed for days  (Read 445 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Facial recognition fails! Wrong man arrested, jailed for days
« on: January 08, 2023, 02:17:19 am »
WND 1/6/2022

An online report from Reclaim the Net is illustrating the problems with facial recognition software.

"Another story about low accuracy from the privacy-invasive tech," the report said. "Facial recognition technology is under scrutiny again after the technology led to the mistaken arrest of a man in Georgia on a fugitive warrant out of a state he has never been to."

Oops.

The report said it was in November that Randall Reid, 28, was taken into custody by police in DeKalb County, Georgia, when officials in Louisiana used facial recognition to claim he was linked to the theft of costly purses.

Reid explained, "They told me I had a warrant out of Jefferson Parish. I said, 'What is Jefferson Parish?' I have never been to Louisiana a day in my life. Then they told me it was for theft. So not only have I not been to Louisiana, I also don’t steal."

It took authorities five days to figure out their mistake and release him.

More: https://www.wnd.com/2023/01/facial-recognition-fails-wrong-man-arrested-jailed-days/

Offline Kamaji

Re: Facial recognition fails! Wrong man arrested, jailed for days
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 03:53:15 pm »
Current so-called “AI” is just a matter of big data pattern mining, and is therefore a matter of GIGO.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 05:50:47 pm »
The problem with facial recognition is that it is a return to the sort of criminal ID that led to fingerprinting and eventually, DNA as identifying methods.

Faces that resembled wanted posters were worn to the gallows more than once, only to find the wrong guy had been hanged.

But we are in an age where guilt is not the greatest concern (take the deal), convictions and cleared cases are, and 'collateral damage' is acceptable.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 01:07:13 pm »
 :bkmk:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.