Author Topic: The Equity Paradox  (Read 489 times)

Online Kamaji

The Equity Paradox
« on: January 04, 2023, 07:49:34 pm »
The Equity Paradox

Equal opportunity rewards excellence. Equal outcomes require tyranny and are indifferent to excellence.

By Edward Ring
January 3, 2023

If a society strives to achieve “equity” for every citizen merely by providing equal opportunity, it would need to accept unequal outcomes. If a society does not accept unequal outcomes, it would need to provide unequal opportunities. That is a circle that cannot be squared. Societies must choose one or the other.

Every major institution in America denies this paradox. Implicit in that denial is the fantasy that designing a society to favor certain groups in order to achieve equality of outcome will not fatally undermine the cohesion and vitality of the overall society. Theoretically, it might have worked several decades ago when “disadvantaged” groups constituted a minute percentage of the American population. Offering special benefits and privileges to a small fraction of the population might have been a manageable burden. But today, the vast majority of Americans belong to a “protected status group.”

The magnitude of this shift in just six decades bears enumeration. In 1960, at the dawn of the modern civil rights movement, the population of the United States was 89 percent white. The social justice programs that were launched at that time, affirmative action and the war on poverty, had a limited impact. If affirmative action released unqualified students into elite universities or unqualified engineers and executives into upper management, it only represented at most a 10 percent displacement. If welfare and other programs initiated by the war on poverty destroyed the work ethic and broke up the families of the so-called beneficiaries, at least only 10 percent of the U.S. population was so victimized.

Today, almost everyone belongs to a protected status group. Social justice advocates now demand proportional representation be extended to include not only blacks but all nonwhites, as well as all women. They demand this “equity” be applied to all university admissions, all hiring and promotions, all government contracts, and even in the number of criminal prosecutions and prison populations.

For America’s black population, social justice advocates are demanding, via direct “reparations” payments, a leveling of individual net worth. The only people left in the American population who are not protected and offered special privileges are non-Hispanic white males. These men now constitute less than 30 percent of all Americans. Among minors, the percentage of non-Hispanic white males in America is less than 25 percent.

How America moved from extending civil rights to a disenfranchised tenth of the population to extending special privileges to 75 percent of the population is a tale for the ages. It represents a shift from something noble and mildly disruptive into a movement today that is nefarious and catastrophically destructive.

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2023/01/03/the-equity-paradox/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Equity Paradox
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 11:00:46 pm »
Thomas Jefferson unwittingly condemned the Colonists and their descendants along with the new country he envisioned to eventual doom and dismemberment with the words:
"All men are created equal".

Another quote (that came along later):
"We can evade reality. What we cannot evade are the CONSEQUENCES of evading reality" ...

Online goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 04:34:02 am »
Thomas Jefferson unwittingly condemned the Colonists and their descendants along with the new country he envisioned to eventual doom and dismemberment with the words:
"All men are created equal".

Another quote (that came along later):
"We can evade reality. What we cannot evade are the CONSEQUENCES of evading reality" ...
Not really. That was one of the greatest statements in the history of mankind as regards human rights.
I'm pretty sure Jefferson knew, as did everyone else at the time, that everybody is not equal as regards attributes/intelligence.
What the statement meant is that we all have equal worth as human beings. Which is still true.
What is twisted is the idea is that after starting out on the journey of life, everybody should end up equally.
The people who run things will not publicly acknowledge that different ethnicities are not equally endowed with intelligence and ambition.
Until the population in general understands that some ethnicities have more of what counts than some other groups, we will have problems.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 07:32:38 am »
This isn't racial, so much as a war on the successful, waged by people who would rather howl for a piece of someone else's pie than bake their own.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 01:59:27 am »
"This isn't racial, so much as a war on the successful, waged by people who would rather howl for a piece of someone else's pie than bake their own."

I don't see any other groups but blacks demanding somebody give them something they didn't or couldn't earn on their own.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 01:27:55 pm »
"This isn't racial, so much as a war on the successful, waged by people who would rather howl for a piece of someone else's pie than bake their own."

I don't see any other groups but blacks demanding somebody give them something they didn't or couldn't earn on their own.

How about politicians?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 02:31:56 pm »
How about politicians?

Democrats are always demanding free stuff.  Medical care, housing, education, food, and a pass on crimes and criminals.
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "Wow, beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist