Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 85315 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #500 on: May 26, 2023, 05:54:44 pm »
She went through hell with the abusive Ike, and I'm glad she eventually found love with a decent man and was able to live her last few decades with him (he even donated one of his kidneys to her!).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2023, 06:29:24 pm »
George Maharis, TV Heartthrob of ‘Route 66,’ Is Dead at 94
May 28, 2023
George Maharis, the ruggedly handsome New York-born stage actor who went on to become a 1960s television heartthrob as a star of the series “Route 66,” died on Wednesday at at his home in Beverly Hills, Calif. He was 94.

His friend Marc Bahan announced his death on Facebook.

Mr. Maharis’s greatest fame arose from the role of Buz Murdock, one of two young men who traveled the country in a Corvette convertible, finding a new adventure and drama (and usually a new young woman) each week on CBS’s “Route 66.” ...

Herbert B. Leonard, the show’s executive producer, “thought he’d hired a young hunk for the show, a hip, sexy man and good actor that all the girls would go for,” Ms. Blocher wrote. “This was all true of Maharis, but not the whole story, as Leonard discovered to his anger and dismay. George was gay, it turned out.”

Ms. Blocher attributed Mr. Maharis’s departure to a number of factors. “The producers felt betrayed and duped when they learned of Maharis’s sexual orientation, and never trusted him again,” she wrote, adding, “Maharis, for his part, started to feel that he was carrying the show and going unappreciated.”

Mr. Maharis was arrested in 1967 on charges of “lewd conduct” and in 1974 on charges of “sex perversion” for cruising in men’s bathrooms. ...
More

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2023, 06:31:53 pm »
Oh well, AIDS didn't arrive in Hollywood in a Corvette, it got there in the back of a Hudson... :whistle:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2023, 06:35:53 pm »
Ed Ames, Singer and ‘Daniel Boone’ Sidekick, Dies at 95
He's also known for landing a tomahawk in an uncomfortable place on 'The Tonight Show.'
By Mike Barnes, Duane Byrge   
May 26, 2023 7:03am
Ed Ames, the deep-toned baritone pop singer and actor who portrayed the faithful Cherokee sidekick Mingo on the 1960s NBC series Daniel Boone, has died. He was 95.

Ames died Sunday at his home in Los Angeles after a battle with Alzheimer’s, his wife, Jeanne, told The Hollywood Reporter.

A native of Massachusetts and a son of Jewish immigrants from Ukraine, Ames starred as the Oxford-educated Mingo opposite Fess Parker as Daniel Boone on the first four seasons (1964-68) of the TV Western.

His most memorable night on television, however, came in April 1965 during an appearance on NBC’s The Tonight Show. Demonstrating to host Johnny Carson how Mingo would expertly handle a tomahawk, he hurled the weapon at an outline of a cowboy drawn on a wooden board — and it stuck right in the crotch.  ...

After “Rag Mop,” “Sentimental Me,” “Undecided” and another top-10 hit, the 1954 novelty song “The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane,” the brothers began to perform regularly on Arthur Godfrey’s show and were one of the first acts to appear on Ed Sullivan’s Toast of the Town.

In 1955, they had their own 15-minute syndicated TV program, The Ames Brothers Show, and performed the title song for Man on Fire (1957), starring Bing Crosby. At their peak, the foursome could command $20,000 a week on tour, and they were named Billboard‘s best vocal group of 1958, when they had eight singles on the charts.  ...
Hollywood Reporter

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2023, 06:39:05 pm »
He's also known for landing a tomahawk in an uncomfortable place on 'The Tonight Show.'
May 26, 2023 7:03am Hollywood Reporter
I thought he was already gone. I enjoyed his portrayal of Mingo, and his singing was good, too. RIP Sir, and thanks!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2023, 06:46:05 pm »
Oh well, AIDS didn't arrive in Hollywood in a Corvette, it got there in the back of a Hudson... :whistle:

@Smokin Joe

LOL!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2023, 06:49:02 pm »

At their peak, the foursome could command $20,000 a week on tour, ...

@mountaineer

That was a serious amount of money back then!

And a decent down payment on a new Toyota today.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #507 on: May 28, 2023, 06:50:44 pm »
@mountaineer

That was a serious amount of money back then!

And a decent down payment on a new Toyota today.
Yep. $20K would buy a nice three bedroom house.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2023, 12:07:03 am »
@Smokin Joe

There can be no question about Tina being special in this world. If there was ever anyone who ended up doing EXACTLY what they were born to do,it was Tina. She was always great,but when she came out with "Proud Mary",she just blew the world away. If you haven't seen the video of her performing it,you have truly missed something you needed to see and hear.

And she didn't slow down after that one. It was almost like she was nuclear powered. How anyone could have THAT much energy and not explode has always been a mystery to me.

The entire world suffered a great loss when she died,despite the fact that she quit performing years ago. It was a great comfort to me to just know that she was still living,and it brought a smile to my face when I thought about it.
She had a LOT of health problems toward the end of her life and it's amazing to me that she lasted as long as she did.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #509 on: May 29, 2023, 12:08:41 am »
Wow. Again, I forgot he was even alive. But then again, he was an old-style bass boomer even at his peak in the 1960s.

My personal favorite of Ed's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u752L2hJg-c

Offline berdie

« Reply #510 on: May 29, 2023, 10:36:44 pm »
Wow. Again, I forgot he was even alive. But then again, he was an old-style bass boomer even at his peak in the 1960s.

Ed Ames had an awesome voice.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #511 on: May 29, 2023, 11:27:53 pm »

Once upon a time there were The Ames Brothers and while I agree that the My Cup Runneth Over by Ed is one of my favorites too, when it comes to the Ames Brothers I have always enjoyed this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HxB7lxbTnI

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #512 on: May 29, 2023, 11:37:52 pm »
Once upon a time there were The Ames Brothers and while I agree that the My Cup Runneth Over by Ed is one of my favorites too, when it comes to the Ames Brothers I have always enjoyed this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HxB7lxbTnI

@GtHawk

"The Naughty Lady  of Shady Lane" is PROBABLY the first non-church song I ever heard that I can remember. Since the song was a big "nothing" musically,I suspect the reason I remember it is that we were living in a house on a street named "Shadow Lawn".

I can only  guess there weren't very many songs being written and produced back then,or it would have never gotten any air time.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #513 on: May 30, 2023, 12:53:59 am »
@GtHawk

"The Naughty Lady  of Shady Lane" is PROBABLY the first non-church song I ever heard that I can remember. Since the song was a big "nothing" musically,I suspect the reason I remember it is that we were living in a house on a street named "Shadow Lawn".

I can only  guess there weren't very many songs being written and produced back then,or it would have never gotten any air time.
It was a novelty song and back then and into the sixties they were very popular, I think the king of novelty songs was The Singing Barber, Perry Como. You may recall he was so low key that SCTV did a parody of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HtaciCUrr0

Okay I'm done hijacking.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #514 on: May 30, 2023, 02:28:22 am »

Ed took an axe to the balls on the JC show right?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #515 on: May 30, 2023, 03:54:46 am »
Ed took an axe to the balls on the JC show right?
Ed through an axe, as his Mingo character would at a man shaped target and the axe struck right at the crotch on live TV...hilarity ensued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5QC9ZJkM8
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 03:55:48 am by GtHawk »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #516 on: June 02, 2023, 06:20:28 pm »
‘You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling’ legend dead: Cynthia Weil was 82

By Ben Cost
June 2, 2023

Fans haven’t lost that lovin’ feeling for her.

Legendary songwriter Cynthia Weil, the muse behind “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” and countless other hits, passed away Thursday evening at 82.

Weil’s daughter Dr. Jenn Mann confirmed the icon’s death in a statement to TMZ.

“My mother, Cynthia Weil, was the greatest mother, grandmother and wife our family could ever ask for,” she wrote. “She was my best friend, confidant and my partner in crime and an idol and trailblazer for women in music.”

As of yet, the cause of death has yet to be revealed.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/02/youve-lost-that-lovin-feeling-legend-dead-cynthia-weil-was-82/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #517 on: June 02, 2023, 09:44:29 pm »
She and Barry Mann managed to stay married for over 60 years. I mean, it's not the most surprising thing in the world (I mean, the Brill Building had its fair share of long marriages, at least among the straight people who worked there) but still, for the entertainment industry, that's impressive.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #518 on: June 02, 2023, 10:03:39 pm »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #519 on: June 02, 2023, 10:15:23 pm »
I admit I didn't who Cynthia is. I went to Wikipedia to find out more. Here is a fun fact.

"You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" co-written with Phil Spector[4] – The Righteous Brothers; later numerous other artists including Dionne Warwick, Hall & Oates, and a Roberta Flack-Donny Hathaway duet. As of 2010, the Righteous Brothers' rendition was radio's most-played song of all time, with 14 million airplays to date.[4
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #520 on: June 03, 2023, 01:34:15 am »
‘You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling’ legend dead: Cynthia Weil was 82

By Ben Cost
June 2, 2023

Fans haven’t lost that lovin’ feeling for her.

Legendary songwriter Cynthia Weil, the muse behind “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” and countless other hits, passed away Thursday evening at 82.

Weil’s daughter Dr. Jenn Mann confirmed the icon’s death in a statement to TMZ.

“My mother, Cynthia Weil, was the greatest mother, grandmother and wife our family could ever ask for,” she wrote. “She was my best friend, confidant and my partner in crime and an idol and trailblazer for women in music.”

As of yet, the cause of death has yet to be revealed.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/02/youve-lost-that-lovin-feeling-legend-dead-cynthia-weil-was-82/

@Kamaji

How is it even possible for someone with a "gift" THAT huge and go unnoticed?

I have spent the majority of my life thinking "The Righteous Brothers" wrote that song. There can be NO doubt it sure helped make them famous.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #521 on: June 05, 2023, 11:24:15 am »
Roger Craig, Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher and original Met, dead at 93

By Joseph Staszewski
June 5, 2023

Roger Craig, who had the distinction of winning the last game in Brooklyn Dodgers history and the first game in Mets history and who was also a longtime major league manager, died Sunday.

He was 93.

The Giants, whom Craig managed for eight seasons, announced his passing.

“We have lost a legendary member of our Giants family.” Larry Baer, Giants president and chief executive officer, said in a statement. “Roger was beloved by players, coaches, front office staff and fans. He was a father figure to many and his optimism and wisdom resulted in some of the most memorable seasons in our history.”

Craig, played 12 seasons in the majors from 1955-66, posting a 74-98 record and 3.83 ERA in 186 starts and 368 career appearances for the Dodgers, Mets, Cardinals, Reds and Phillies.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/05/roger-craig-dodgers-pitcher-and-original-met-dead-at-93/

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #522 on: June 05, 2023, 08:47:21 pm »
Robert Hanssen, FBI Agent Who Spied for Russia, Found Dead in Prison
Monday, 05 June 2023 04:20 PM EDT

Robert Hanssen, the former FBI agent turned spy whom the bureau describes as the most damaging in its history, was found dead in his prison cell on Monday, U.S. authorities said.

Hanssen, 79, was sentenced in 2002 to life in prison after pleading guilty to spying for the Soviet Union and later Russia for over 20 years.

Prison staff initiated life-saving measures after finding Hanssen unresponsive on Monday morning but were not successful, the Bureau of Prisons said in a statement. It did not provide a cause of death. ... Newsmax

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #523 on: June 05, 2023, 08:56:30 pm »
Meh.  Good riddance.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #524 on: June 05, 2023, 10:26:31 pm »
Robert Hanssen, FBI Agent Who Spied for Russia, Found Dead in Prison
Monday, 05 June 2023 04:20 PM EDT

Robert Hanssen, the former FBI agent turned spy whom the bureau describes as the most damaging in its history, was found dead in his prison cell on Monday, U.S. authorities said.

Hanssen, 79, was sentenced in 2002 to life in prison after pleading guilty to spying for the Soviet Union and later Russia for over 20 years.

Prison staff initiated life-saving measures after finding Hanssen unresponsive on Monday morning but were not successful, the Bureau of Prisons said in a statement. It did not provide a cause of death. ... Newsmax

@mountaineer

Damn shame he didn't live to be 120 so  he could suffer more.