Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 87797 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #575 on: June 26, 2023, 11:13:08 pm »
Burns Cameron, the original Jeopardy! super-champion, dies at 85

Cameron was a contestant on the original Jeopardy! in 1965, hosted by Art Fleming. His $7,070 total (when clues only offered values of $10-$100; i.e. he would have won $141,400 under 21st-century scoring) was a record up to that time, and though Cameron's total was eventually surpassed by two contestants in 1969, Cameron also won his Tournament of Champions, something the other two contestants failed to do.

He was eventually invited back twice for invitational tournaments, including a 1972 one-off game in which he faced off against the two contestants who outscored him (he finished second) and a 1990 special tournament during Alex Trebek's hosting run, during which Cameron was the only contestant from before 1980 (by then, the rules had changed drastically, and Cameron was bounced from the tournament in the first round).

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/06/25/obituaryburns-elliott-cameron-2/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 02:10:18 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #576 on: June 27, 2023, 12:38:11 am »
Jesse McReynolds, Grand Ole Opry regular, dies at 93

https://bluegrasstoday.com/jesse-mcreynolds-passes/

Online mountaineer

« Reply #577 on: June 27, 2023, 01:48:11 am »
Whew! Thanks for the insights into NY politics, @jmyrlefuller
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Kamaji

« Reply #578 on: June 27, 2023, 11:36:52 am »
‘Titanic’ actor Lew Palter dead at 94

By David Russell
June 27, 2023

Lew Palter, the actor best known to audiences as Macy’s co-owner Isidor Straus in the 1997 classic “Titanic,” died last month, it was revealed Monday. He was 94.

Palter succumbed to lung cancer on May 21, his daughter Catherine told The Hollywood Reporter.

He was a familiar face on TV, appearing on “The Flying Nun,” “Columbo,” “The Brady Bunch,” Hill Street Blues” and “LA Law,” among other shows.

Palter played a Supreme Court Justice in the 1981 comedy-drama “First Monday In October,” starring Walter Matthau and Jill Clayburgh.

He was also a faculty member at CalArts School of Theater.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/27/titanic-actor-lew-palter-dead-at-94/

Online mountaineer

« Reply #579 on: June 27, 2023, 03:51:33 pm »
John Goodenough, The Scientist Who Helped Revolutionize Lithium-Ion Batteries, Dies at 100
By Akshat Rathi / Bloomberg
June 27, 2023 9:40 AM EDT

John Goodenough, a pioneering researcher who helped transform lithium-ion batteries, died at the age of 100 on Sunday.

His inventions that helped develop modern computers and commercialize lithium-ion batteries touched every person’s life on the planet. Yet few knew him and his work didn’t bring him riches, though it did earn him a Nobel Prize very late in life. None of that bothered Goodenough, as he kept developing better batteries almost until the end of his life. His decades of work and innovation are now a cornerstone in the race to decarbonize the world’s vehicles and energy system. ...

After earning a PhD, Goodenough spent 24 years at the US Defense Department-funded Lincoln Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His work in the 1950s and 1960s on compounds made of metals and oxygen helped progress the development of random access memory, or RAM, that serves as the center for a computer’s short-term data access....

It’s at Oxford that he turned his attention to batteries, after the oil crisis of 1973 sparked his interest in alternative forms of energy.

All batteries, from the very first one invented in 1799 by Alessandro Volta, are made up of three components: two electrodes — referred to as an anode and a cathode — with an electrolyte that allows the flow of charged atomic particles called ions between them. Lithium is the lightest metal in the universe, and a battery that can use lithium ions would be able to store the maximum amount of energy in the smallest amount of space.

An Exxon scientist named Stanley Whittingham had developed a battery that used lithium in the early 1970s. However, that very desire to make batteries energy dense caused Whittingham’s battery — which used lithium metal as anode and titanium sulfide as cathode — to catch fire.

With safety in mind, Goodenough turned to compounds that he had studied during his days developing random access memory: oxides. Working with two graduate students, he found that cobalt oxide served as a superior and safer cathode.

However, Oxford never patented Goodenough’s invention and he gave it away to a British nuclear research agency in the hope that it may be commercialized.  ... More at TIME

Online mountaineer

« Reply #580 on: June 27, 2023, 08:28:01 pm »
Julian Sands: British actor's body identified after long search on mountain

Human remains found in mountains in California have been confirmed to be those of British actor Julian Sands, who went missing on a hike in January.

Walkers found the remains on Saturday, police said, and they have now been formally identified.

Sands, 65, was best known for his roles in the Oscar-winning film A Room With A View and TV dramas 24 and Smallville.

His other credits included 2011's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, in which he appeared opposite Daniel Craig. ... BBC

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #581 on: June 27, 2023, 08:57:24 pm »
Jesse McReynolds, Grand Ole Opry regular, dies at 93

https://bluegrasstoday.com/jesse-mcreynolds-passes/

@jmyrlefuller

I don't think  I ever knew his name,but I recognized the photo of him instantly. If the Grand Old Operey  was on tv,the tv in my house was showing the Grand Old Operey.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #582 on: June 27, 2023, 10:15:32 pm »
j myrle posted:
"Jesse McReynolds, Grand Ole Opry regular, dies at 93"

And Bobby Osborne (mandolin player and tenor in the Osborne Brothers with Sonny) has just passed, as well:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2023/06/27/bluegrass-legend-osborne-brothers-bobby-osborne-rocky-top-dies-at-91/70361336007/

Both were of the last "brother duets", and both of the Opry...

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #583 on: June 28, 2023, 01:42:12 am »
Former NFL starting quarterback Ryan Mallett dies at 35 in a drowning incident.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2023/06/27/ryan-mallett-dies-drowning-accident-arkansas-michigan

Online mountaineer

« Reply #584 on: June 29, 2023, 12:52:17 am »
The Washington Post (via MSN)
Lowell Weicker, GOP senator who became bold Nixon adversary, dies at 92
Story by Laurence I. Barrett • 6h ago

Lowell P. Weicker Jr., a three-term senator from Connecticut who became one of President Richard M. Nixon’s boldest Republican adversaries during the Watergate affair and who engineered dramatic increases in medical research funding despite President Ronald Reagan’s efforts to slash domestic spending, died June 28 at a hospital in Middletown, Conn. He was 92.  ...

Mr. Weicker, who had family ties to the E.R. Squibb pharmaceutical fortune, was educated at preparatory schools and elite colleges. But in politics, a profession often driven by polls, Mr. Weicker was a self-described “maverick” — the title he also gave his memoir. His caustic tongue and bearlike, 6-foot-6 build lent an imposing aura.

A liberal Republican for much of his career, Mr. Weicker was unable to retain his party’s support during its rightward lurch under Reagan. He was unseated in 1988 by a Democratic challenger, Joseph I. Lieberman, then the Connecticut attorney general. The race marked Mr. Weicker’s sole electoral defeat in a political career spanning more than three decades. ...

Mr. Weicker first gained national attention when, as a freshman U.S. senator in 1973, he became one of only three Senate Republicans willing to join the Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities. The committee’s mandate was to investigate the June 1972 burglary of Democratic Party headquarters at the Watergate office complex in Washington.  ...

Online Kamaji

« Reply #585 on: June 30, 2023, 11:33:05 am »
Christine King Farris, sister of Martin Luther King Jr, dies aged 95

By Reuters
June 30, 2023

Christine King Farris, the sister of slain US civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr and a prominent activist herself, died on Thursday at the age of 95.

Farris died peacefully in Atlanta, Georgia, with her family by her side, according to the King Center for Nonviolent Social Change in Atlanta, of which she was a founding board member.

Farris participated in historic events of the civil rights movement, including the 1965 march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, and the “March Against Fear” in Mississippi in 1966.

“Shaping the history of the journey of America in the 20th and 21st centuries, she stood for peace, freedom, and justice—virtues that reflect the best of our nation,” US President Joe Biden said in a written statement.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/30/christine-king-farris-sister-of-martin-luther-king-jr-dies-aged-95/

Online Kamaji

« Reply #586 on: June 30, 2023, 03:44:28 pm »
Alan Arkin dead at 89: Oscar winner was ‘a talented force of nature’

By Richard Pollina
June 30, 2023

Actor Alan Arkin, who earned an Oscar for his performance in 2007’s “Little Miss Sunshine” among dozens of other accolades, has died.

The acclaimed stage and screen veteran was 89.

Fellow actor Jason Alexander first shared the news on Twitter, calling the actor a “wonderful, original voice for comedy.”

“On the few occasions I was in his presence, a kind and generous soul,” the “Seinfeld” star tweeted. “I learned so much from watching him. And the laughs I got from his glorious work seem endless. May he rest well.”

The Brooklyn-born actor’s cause of death has not been revealed, but his sons Adam, Matthew and Anthony confirmed his passing to People.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/30/oscar-winning-actor-alan-arkin-dead-at-89-report/

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #587 on: June 30, 2023, 03:55:38 pm »
Alan Arkin dead at 89: Oscar winner was ‘a talented force of nature’

By Richard Pollina
June 30, 2023

Actor Alan Arkin, who earned an Oscar for his performance in 2007’s “Little Miss Sunshine” among dozens of other accolades, has died.

The acclaimed stage and screen veteran was 89.

Fellow actor Jason Alexander first shared the news on Twitter, calling the actor a “wonderful, original voice for comedy.”

“On the few occasions I was in his presence, a kind and generous soul,” the “Seinfeld” star tweeted. “I learned so much from watching him. And the laughs I got from his glorious work seem endless. May he rest well.”

The Brooklyn-born actor’s cause of death has not been revealed, but his sons Adam, Matthew and Anthony confirmed his passing to People.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/30/oscar-winning-actor-alan-arkin-dead-at-89-report/

I remember him best from Catch-22. Good movie.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #588 on: June 30, 2023, 08:02:53 pm »
I remember Arkin from 1979's "The Inlaws" as the nervous dentist "Sheldon Kornpett", along with the CIA agent "Vince Ricardo", played by Peter Falk.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online berdie

« Reply #589 on: June 30, 2023, 10:53:22 pm »
I remember Arkin from Wail Until Dark. He was creepy.

Offline verga

« Reply #590 on: July 02, 2023, 05:05:16 pm »
I remember Arkin from 1979's "The Inlaws" as the nervous dentist "Sheldon Kornpett", along with the CIA agent "Vince Ricardo", played by Peter Falk.
One of the funniest movies ever.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #591 on: July 02, 2023, 05:19:55 pm »
The In-Laws was aired just last week if I recall and thoroughly enjoyed it again. Sadly we are at a time where have lost/are losing the most real comedians able to make people laugh without resorting to vulgarity.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #592 on: July 03, 2023, 08:58:19 pm »
Vince Tobin, former Arizona Cardinals head coach, dead at 79

By Ryan Glasspiegel   
July 3, 2023

Former Arizona Cardinals head coach Vince Tobin, who led the team to its first playoff victory in 51 years, died Monday at the age of 79.

A cause of death was not immediately revealed.

In a statement, Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill expressed his condolences to Tobin’s family.

“Our deepest condolences go out to everyone who knew and loved Vince Tobin, and in particular his wife Kathy and their family,” the statement read.

“As head coach of the Cardinals, his steady leadership was a constant and a big part of the success the team enjoyed during his tenure. His football legacy with us is highlighted by the thrilling 1998 season, return to the postseason, and upset playoff win at Dallas. He will also be remembered for his instrumental role in key decisions like drafting Jake Plummer and Pat Tillman.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/03/vince-tobin-former-arizona-cardinals-head-coach-dead-at-79/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #593 on: July 03, 2023, 11:25:22 pm »
Vince Tobin, former Arizona Cardinals head coach, dead at 79

Too bad Bidwell decided one spot in a Super Bowl was enough and quit paying for top notch players.  But a hearty thanks to Vince Tobin!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #594 on: July 03, 2023, 11:42:26 pm »
If you grew up in the era of AM 50K plus radio clear channels you might have heard this guy broadcasting from WLS 890 on your Radio dial.

Hall of fame rock disc jockey Dick Biondi dead at 90
By Shanzeh Ahmad
Chicago Tribune

Jul 02, 2023 at 8:10 am

Legendary Chicago rock disc jockey and personality Richard “Dick” Biondi died earlier this week, WLS-AM 890 announced on Facebook Saturday night. He was 90.

Biondi “died peacefully at home on Monday, June 26,” according to the radio station. A cause of death wasn’t given, but in April 2017, Biondi left WLS-AM when hospitalized for what was described as a leg ailment.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-richard-biondi-wls-radio-dies-20230702-v6k7qw5njvaezaxojsplwn2gpe-story.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2023, 12:02:52 pm »
Journey co-founder George Tickner dead: Band’s guitarist was 76

By Nika Shakhnazarova
July 6, 2023

George Tickner, the co-founder and original guitarist for Journey, has died at the age of 76.

News of Tickner’s death was confirmed by co-founding member Neal Schon on social media. No cause of death has been given at this time.

“Journey Junkies, I have some very sad news. George Tickner, Journey’s original rhythm guitarist and songwriting contributor on their first three albums, has passed away. He was 76 years old,” Schon, 69, wrote on Facebook Thursday.

“Godspeed, George… thank you for the music. We will be paying tribute to you on this page indefinitely.”

He continued, “Our condolences to his family and friends, and to all past and present band members. So heartbreaking.. I think we need to do a group hug, JJ’s.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/06/journeys-original-guitarist-george-tickner-dead-at-76/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2023, 12:09:14 pm »

By Nika Shakhnazarova
July 6, 2023

George Tickner, the co-founder and original guitarist for Journey, has died at the age of 76.

News of Tickner’s death was confirmed by co-founding member Neal Schon on social media. No cause of death has been given at this time.

@Kamaji

Yes,it was. Cause of death was he was 76  years old.  It is not surprising when someone dies at 76. The only surprise is they lived that long.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #597 on: July 06, 2023, 03:43:14 pm »
@Kamaji

Yes,it was. Cause of death was he was 76  years old.  It is not surprising when someone dies at 76. The only surprise is they lived that long.

Not sure studies of longevity of rock stars has been done, but I'd bet a bunch that it is less than the general population.

Keef is an anomolus exception.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #598 on: July 06, 2023, 07:15:39 pm »
Not sure studies of longevity of rock stars has been done, but I'd bet a bunch that it is less than the general population.

Keef is an anomolus exception.

@catfish1957

Keef is eternal.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #599 on: July 06, 2023, 07:28:52 pm »

By Nika Shakhnazarova
July 6, 2023

“Journey Junkies, I have some very sad news. George Tickner, Journey’s original rhythm guitarist and songwriting contributor on their first three albums, has passed away. He was 76 years old,” Schon, 69, wrote on Facebook Thursday.

“Godspeed, George… thank you for the music. We will be paying tribute to you on this page indefinitely.”

He continued, “Our condolences to his family and friends, and to all past and present band members. So heartbreaking.. I think we need to do a group hug, JJ’s.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/07/06/journeys-original-guitarist-george-tickner-dead-at-76/

Rest in peace sir, thank you for all the music
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️