Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 88799 times)

Offline verga

Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2023, 11:07:49 am »
Aw man, he was one of my all-time favorites. Loved him in Fringe and everything else he did. Just watched a reaction to Wick a few weeks ago.

So much talent gone too soon.
That's where I knew him from (Smacks forehead) I just couldn't place him. Loved him in that show and the Wick movies.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2023, 01:15:21 pm »
@sneakypete

You told me about “The Wire” a few months ago and I binged it around Thanksgiving. So grateful you told me about this show, it was one of the bes5 TV dramas I’ve ever seen

@Gefn

Thank you.

Good things should be passed on to others.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2023, 08:07:21 pm »
Willis Reed, legendary Knicks Hall of Famer, dead at 80

By Don Burke
March 21, 2023

Willis Reed, the heart and soul of the Knicks’ most recent NBA championship teams, and the man who gave New York City sports one of its most iconic moments, died Tuesday, The Post has confirmed. He was 80.

Known simply as “The Captain” years before Derek Jeter was born, Reed played 10 seasons in the NBA, all with the Knicks, for whom he also served as coach and general manager after his playing career ended in 1974. He also coached and was an executive with the Nets when they played their games in New Jersey and was an executive with the New Orleans Hornets from 2004-07.

The first member of the Knicks to have his number retired, Reed was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1982 and was named among the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history during the 1996-97 season.

But it was during Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals that Reed carved his name in the hardwood history of Madison Square Garden and the league.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/21/willis-reed-legendary-knicks-hall-of-famer-dead-at-80/

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2023, 08:17:58 pm »
Willis Reed, legendary Knicks Hall of Famer, dead at 80

By Don Burke
March 21, 2023

Willis Reed, the heart and soul of the Knicks’ most recent NBA championship teams, and the man who gave New York City sports one of its most iconic moments, died Tuesday, The Post has confirmed. He was 80.

Known simply as “The Captain” years before Derek Jeter was born, Reed played 10 seasons in the NBA, all with the Knicks, for whom he also served as coach and general manager after his playing career ended in 1974. He also coached and was an executive with the Nets when they played their games in New Jersey and was an executive with the New Orleans Hornets from 2004-07.

The first member of the Knicks to have his number retired, Reed was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1982 and was named among the 50 Greatest Players in NBA history during the 1996-97 season.

But it was during Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals that Reed carved his name in the hardwood history of Madison Square Garden and the league.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/03/21/willis-reed-legendary-knicks-hall-of-famer-dead-at-80/

One of the most iconic moments in sports history, Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2023, 07:14:04 pm »
Jim Gordon, Eric Clapton drummer and convicted murderer, dead at 77
From Facebook:

The 2nd Chapter of Acts - Official
44m  ·
Jim Gordon was considered one of the best rock drummers in the '70's. He was gifted by God and played on early 2nd Chapter of Acts recordings. Annie sensed trouble in his soul and became burdened for him. Eventually she would write "Jimmy's Song" as a prayer for Jim which was included on the live double album recording "To The Bride". This week Jim died in prison a sad end to a gifted man. When situations like this arise, its comforting to understand that God is a righteous judge.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2023, 12:41:12 am »
Gloria Dea, the first magician to perform on the Las Vegas Strip, dies at age 100.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/gloria-dea-1st-magician-las-vegas-strip-dies-97974614
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2023, 02:09:37 pm »
Gordon Moore, the founder of Intel most famous for his observation that computer chip capabilities grow exponentially ("Moore's law"), dies at 94.

https://apnews.com/article/intel-founder-gordon-moore-dies-computer-chips-57af0798bf02491a95fce0c97c347dc3
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2023, 02:18:58 pm »
Gordon Moore, the founder of Intel most famous for his observation that computer chip capabilities grow exponentially ("Moore's law"), dies at 94.

https://apnews.com/article/intel-founder-gordon-moore-dies-computer-chips-57af0798bf02491a95fce0c97c347dc3

Built a great company that has since fell into the hands of idiots.  Recently INTC was at 10 year low on market cap, and right now it's only a speculative chip play in case the Chicoms invade Taiwan.  Right now it is worth about 40% of its all time highs.

Pretty amazing he made it to 93, losing that much capital and market share.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #308 on: March 30, 2023, 11:47:37 pm »
Mark Russell, political satirist with a star-spangled piano, dies at 90

Mark Russell, Washington’s social-political satirist and stand-up comic who spoofed, teased and laughed at celebrities, politicians, politics and popular culture for more than 50 years from behind his star-spangled piano, died March 30 at his home in the District. He was 90.

The cause was complications from prostate cancer, said his wife, Alison Russell.

From the waning years of Dwight D. Eisenhower’s administration through the presidencies of 10 succeeding chief executives, Mr. Russell poked fun at the foibles and flaws of the well-known, the pompous and the powerful in monologues replete with pithy one-liners and musical ditties. He called himself “a political cartoonist for the blind.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2023/03/30/mark-russell-satirist-pianist-dead/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #309 on: March 30, 2023, 11:53:45 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2023/03/30/mark-russell-satirist-pianist-dead/

@Gefn

I always enjoyed his tv appearances.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #310 on: March 31, 2023, 12:20:22 am »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #311 on: March 31, 2023, 12:22:19 am »
@Gefn

I always enjoyed his tv appearances.

Me too, @sneakypete

90 is a good long run. Rest In Peace, Mr Russell

Online mountaineer

« Reply #312 on: March 31, 2023, 12:38:00 am »
He was very entertaining. I always enjoyed his ditties.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2023, 10:30:42 am »

Ninety is a good, long life. Rest in peace, sir.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2023, 02:46:27 pm »
Craig Breedlove, First to Drive 500, 600 MPH, Dies at 86

Fearless All-American land-speed racer thrived when Bonneville was the land of speed dreams.

BY MARK VAUGHN
APR 5, 2023

Craig Breedlove, the Southern California hot rodder who assembled a team of engineers and street racers to bolt rocket engines onto wheels, has died. He was 86.

Breedlove set records at more than 400, 500, and 600 mph in jet-powered cars running surplus fighter jet engines. For a three-year period from 1962 to 1965, Breedlove battled two other great land speed racers for glory on the Bonneville Salt Flats—Art Arfons and his brother Walt. Between the three of them the records were made, broken and set again.

Breedlove's final top speed record was a blistering 606.6 mph.

Source:  https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a43521840/craig-breedlove-first-to-drive-500-600-mph-dies-at-86/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #315 on: April 06, 2023, 02:49:32 pm »

Fearless All-American land-speed racer thrived when Bonneville was the land of speed dreams.

BY MARK VAUGHN
APR 5, 2023

Craig Breedlove, the Southern California hot rodder who assembled a team of engineers and street racers to bolt rocket engines onto wheels, has died. He was 86.

Breedlove set records at more than 400, 500, and 600 mph in jet-powered cars running surplus fighter jet engines. For a three-year period from 1962 to 1965, Breedlove battled two other great land speed racers for glory on the Bonneville Salt Flats—Art Arfons and his brother Walt. Between the three of them the records were made, broken and set again.

Source:  https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a43521840/craig-breedlove-first-to-drive-500-600-mph-dies-at-86/

Wow. What an interesting life! Rest in Peace sir

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #316 on: April 06, 2023, 02:53:43 pm »

BY MARK VAUGHN
APR 5, 2023

I remember watching every year as records were broken. Not all attempts were successful, and some disastrous, but the thoughts of going even 300 MPH fascinated me, and he did double that and more. RIP, sir.

With The Spirit of America , 1964
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 02:55:55 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #317 on: April 06, 2023, 03:01:01 pm »
These are the kind of old guys I love to mention to cocky teenagers who think we all lived Amish till the day they were born. 'You may be cool son, but you ain't Craig Breedlove 606 MPH on the Bonneville Salt Flats cool.'
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2023, 07:35:29 am »
William Charles delivered on April 7, 2023 at 2:46 am

Elijah John delivered at 2:58 am April 7, 2023 is now with God and his brother.

"Truly I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise" Luke 23:43
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2023, 11:18:09 am »
Sex Pistols frontman Johnny Rotten’s wife dead at 80 after Alzheimer’s battle

By Richard Pollina
April 7, 2023

Nora Forster, the wife of Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon, has died at 80 after a years-long battle with Alzheimer’s.

Lydon’s official social media account announced the death of his wife of nearly five decades on Thursday in a heartfelt tweet.

“It is with a heavy heart that we share the sad news that Nora Forster – John Lydon’s wife of nearly five decades – has passed away,” the tweet somberly read.

Forster had lived with Alzheimer’s for the past seven years, with Lydon being her “full-time carer” throughout her battle with the disease.

Source: https://pagesix.com/2023/04/07/sex-pistols-singer-johnny-rottens-wife-nora-forster-dead-at-80/

Offline verga

« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2023, 11:32:25 am »

Condolences, and praying for all involved.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #321 on: April 07, 2023, 12:05:17 pm »

My deepest sympathy, and prayers for all.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #322 on: April 07, 2023, 12:14:23 pm »

I’m so sorry.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #323 on: April 07, 2023, 12:20:59 pm »
Sex Pistols frontman Johnny Rotten’s wife dead at 80 after Alzheimer’s battle

By Richard Pollina
April 7, 2023

“It is with a heavy heart that we share the sad news that Nora Forster – John Lydon’s wife of nearly five decades – has passed away,” the tweet somberly read.

Forster had lived with Alzheimer’s for the past seven years, with Lydon being her “full-time carer” throughout her battle with the disease.

Source: https://pagesix.com/2023/04/07/sex-pistols-singer-johnny-rottens-wife-nora-forster-dead-at-80/

Johnny was not rotten after all. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #324 on: April 07, 2023, 12:23:03 pm »

I’m so sorry for your loss. Praying for comfort that only He can provide.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell