Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 85893 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #1025 on: December 31, 2023, 05:40:33 pm »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1026 on: December 31, 2023, 06:18:16 pm »
Catfish's list above (reply 1025) leaves off perhaps the show's most memorable performance of all -- the return of Pete Seeger to commercial media, after years on the blacklist.

Seeger had been on the show a year earlier, but that particular episode had been (cough) "cancelled". The brothers persisted and finally got him back.

A little background on the Seeger appearance.

https://prospect.org/culture/recalling-pete-seeger-s-controversial-performance-smothers-brothers-show-50-years-ago/
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1027 on: December 31, 2023, 06:51:28 pm »
Catfish's list above (reply 1025) leaves off perhaps the show's most memorable performance of all -- the return of Pete Seeger to commercial media, after years on the blacklist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ZXZqIF73M

@Fishrrman

No intention of dissing by omitting Seeger, but I was listing rock legends.  If the list I gave was comprehensive and included folk genre legends too, I'd included Peter, Paul and Mary.  Of course, some crossover argument could be made about Simon and Garfunkle.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1028 on: December 31, 2023, 07:31:11 pm »
@Fishrrman

No intention of dissing by omitting Seeger, but I was listing rock legends.  If the list I gave was comprehensive and included folk genre legends too, I'd included Peter, Paul and Mary.  Of course, some crossover argument could be made about Simon and Garfunkle.

I don't get too upset about Communists like Seeger.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1029 on: December 31, 2023, 09:23:45 pm »
Las Vegas standup comic Shecky Greene dies at 97

Dec 31 (Reuters) - Shecky Greene, a comic legend of the old-school Las Vegas lounge acts who rubbed elbows with yesteryear entertainment greats, died on Sunday, his widow told the media.

His wife of 41 years, Marie Musso Greene, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that her husband, born Fred Sheldon Greenfield in Chicago, died of natural causes at their home in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Greene, who served in the U.S. Navy in World War II, headlined Vegas acts in the 1950s and 1960s where he was famous for foregoing his planned comedic routines and improvising jokes while walking through the audience with a microphone in hand.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/las-vegas-standup-comic-shecky-greene-dies-97-2023-12-31/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1030 on: December 31, 2023, 09:24:47 pm »
I think this is going to be the last obit of the year.

Rest In Peace Mr. Greene
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1031 on: January 01, 2024, 05:20:48 pm »
Las Vegas standup comic Shecky Greene dies at 97

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/las-vegas-standup-comic-shecky-greene-dies-97-2023-12-31/

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who was surprised he was still with us. I hadn't even thought about him until I heard an interview with Keely Smith a couple of days ago.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1032 on: January 01, 2024, 05:23:00 pm »

I'm guessing I'm not the only one who was surprised he was still with us. I hadn't even thought about him until I heard an interview with Keely Smith a couple of days ago.

@AllThatJazzZ

I would have never even known he existed if it hadn't been for the Johnny Carson Show. Johnny really liked him,and talked about him a lot.

Back then,you pretty much  had to live in or visit NYC,LA,or Las Vegas to see him live.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 05:23:59 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1033 on: January 01, 2024, 06:00:42 pm »
@AllThatJazzZ

I would have never even known he existed if it hadn't been for the Johnny Carson Show. Johnny really liked him,and talked about him a lot.

Back then,you pretty much  had to live in or visit NYC,LA,or Las Vegas to see him live.

@sneakypete

I only saw him on TV too. Mostly on Johnny Carson, but appearances on variety shows and maybe a game show or two. Fun days of TV.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #1034 on: January 01, 2024, 06:18:43 pm »
Tom Wilkinson, who played Lord Cornwallis in The Patriot, Carmine Falcone in Batman Begins, and Ben Franklin in John Adams died over the weekend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65823240

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVB57DyI9ww
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1035 on: January 01, 2024, 06:26:27 pm »
Tom Wilkinson  -  The Full Monty

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Timber Rattler

« Reply #1036 on: January 01, 2024, 07:25:42 pm »
The Full Monty is awesome!  There's a new follow-on series out on Hulu that reunited the original cast, including Wilkinson.  But it was obvious that he was very ill, possibly with cancer considering his frailty.

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/full-monty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RVxpp4zzpY
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1037 on: January 01, 2024, 10:57:39 pm »
This is from the last day of 2023, so I put it in this thread:
'Compared to What' performer Les McCann, a wellspring for hip-hop samples, dies at 88
The Kentucky native joined the West Coast jazz scene, but his performance of "Compared to What" at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1968 transcended geography.
Dec. 31, 2023, 11:03 PM EST
By Dennis Romero and Valeriya Antonshchuk

Les McCann, a jazz titan best known for his performance with musical partner Eddie Harris of the protest song "Compared to What," has died at age 88, his manager said Sunday.

The cause and manner of death were unavailable. Manager Alan Abrahams said McCann, a piano player and singer, died Friday at a Los Angeles-area hospital after he developed pneumonia roughly one week ago.

McCann was an architect of the soul-jazz sound, helped jazz connect with the counterculture's protest music and provided a wellspring of material for sample-crazed hip-hop stars, including Notorious B.I.G., Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth, Warren G., Slick Rick, Dr. Dre and A Tribe Called Quest. ...
NBC News

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1038 on: January 01, 2024, 11:02:11 pm »
The Full Monty is awesome!  There's a new follow-on series out on Hulu that reunited the original cast, including Wilkinson.  But it was obvious that he was very ill, possibly with cancer considering his frailty.

Robert Carlyle was awesome in Trainspotting.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Timber Rattler

« Reply #1039 on: January 01, 2024, 11:09:55 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:12:15 pm by Timber Rattler »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1040 on: March 30, 2024, 11:11:22 pm »
Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters dead at 74

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/anita-pointer-pointer-sisters-dead-74-2023-01-01/

@Gefn

This is a loss for everyone. She was special talent.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!