Author Topic: Obituaries for 2023  (Read 88952 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: Obituaries for 2023
« Reply #1000 on: December 08, 2023, 11:43:55 pm »
8888crybaby **nononono*

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZ2ibWOgkM

Movie was released 2 days after my husband died. BFF and I went to see it in January. Mass quantities of tears.

Prayers for Ryan's family and friends.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1001 on: December 08, 2023, 11:54:43 pm »
Movie was released 2 days after my husband died. BFF and I went to see it in January. Mass quantities of tears.

Prayers for Ryan's family and friends.

Comforting prayers for you.  So sad indeed.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1002 on: December 10, 2023, 07:37:40 pm »
Anna 'Chickadee' Cardwell, Oldest Daughter of Mama June Shannon, Dead at 29: 'She Is No Longer with Us'

Anna “Chickadee” Cardwell, the oldest daughter of reality TV star Mama June Shannon, has died. She was 29.

Shannon, 44, announced the news of Cardwell's death through a post shared on Instagram Sunday.

"With the breaking heart, we are announcing that @annamarie35 is no longer with us," she began the caption of her post alongside a family photograph. "She passed away in my home last night peacefully at 11:12 PM."

https://people.com/anna-chickadee-cardwell-dead-at-29-8413924
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1003 on: December 10, 2023, 08:03:14 pm »
Anna 'Chickadee' Cardwell, Oldest Daughter of Mama June Shannon, Dead at 29: 'She Is No Longer with Us'

https://people.com/anna-chickadee-cardwell-dead-at-29-8413924

Wow.  That's so young.  Sad.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1004 on: December 13, 2023, 03:37:10 am »
Andre Braugher dies at 61

Braugher's career as a character actor, in which he usually played police officers, included prominent roles in the drama Homicide: Life on the Street and the sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine. His cause of death was identified only as a "brief illness."

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/andre-braugher-dead-brooklyn-nine-nine-1235835771/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1005 on: December 13, 2023, 12:25:28 pm »
We enjoyed his acting in Homicide. Too young.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1006 on: December 13, 2023, 01:44:51 pm »
Andre Braugher dies at 61

Braugher's career as a character actor, in which he usually played police officers, included prominent roles in the drama Homicide: Life on the Street and the sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine. His cause of death was identified only as a "brief illness."

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/andre-braugher-dead-brooklyn-nine-nine-1235835771/

@jmyrlefuller

I don't remember ever watching any of  those shows,but I DO remember seeing him on tv and being impressed with his presence/acting ability.

For some odd reason that is probably wrong,I associate his face with comedies more than dramas.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1007 on: December 13, 2023, 04:25:55 pm »
Rest In Peace Andre Braugher. So good in Homicide and Brooklyn Nine Nine.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 04:44:01 pm by Gefn »

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: December 14, 2023, 05:44:04 pm »
Norman Lear, World War II veteran, mogul TV producer dies at 101
By
Joel Searls
Dec 7, 2023
Reviewed by
Tessa Robinson

Norman Lear, most known for his TV producing as the creator of such shows as All in the Family and The Jeffersons, also lived a life of service.
Norman Lear, most known for his TV producing as the creator of such shows as All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Maude, Sanford and Son, Diff'rent Strokes, Mary Hartman, Mary, One Day at a Time and Good Times has passed at the age of 101. Lear worked as a tireless activist as well. He received many awards, including six Primetime Emmys, two Peabody Awards, the National Medal of the Arts, Kennedy Central Honors and the Golden Globe Carol Burnett Award.

Lear left this earth on December 5, 2023, surrounded by his loving family. They are quoted with saying, “Thank you for the moving outpouring of love and support in honor of our wonderful husband, father, and grandfather.” The family further stated, “Norman lived a life of creativity, tenacity, and empathy. He deeply loved our country and spent a lifetime helping to preserve its founding ideals of justice and equality for all. Knowing and loving him has been the greatest of gifts. We ask for your understanding as we mourn privately in celebration of this remarkable human being.” Even at 101, Lear was in the middle of producing multiple TV shows and a movie when he passed.

Lear was born in New Haven, Connecticut, and moved to Chelsea, Massachusetts, at the age of nine. He was taking classes at Emerson College when World War II started, so Lear dropped out to enlist in the service. He served as a radioman and gunner onboard a B-17 during the war. He served in the Mediterranean Theater with the 772nd Bomb Squadron, 463rd Bomb Group of the Fifteenth Air Force. He flew 52 combat missions and was awarded the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters. He transitioned out of the service and into public relations following the war.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/entertainment/norman-lear-world-war-ii-veteran-mogul-tv-producer-dies-at-101/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1009 on: December 16, 2023, 04:42:36 pm »
AC/DC Drummer Colin Burgess Dead at 77

Colin Burgess -- the original drummer for AC/DC -- has died, this according to the heavy metal band's Facebook page.

In a statement posted Friday night, the iconic group wrote, "Very sad to hear of the passing of Colin Burgess. He was our first drummer and a very respected musician. Happy memories, rock in peace Colin." His cause of death was not disclosed.

In 1973, Burgess became a member of AC/DC with sibling guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young, singer Dave Evans and bassist Larry Van Kriedt.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/16/acdc-colin-burgess-drummer-dead-dies-77/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1010 on: December 16, 2023, 04:43:25 pm »
AC/DC Drummer Colin Burgess Dead at 77

https://www.tmz.com/2023/12/16/acdc-colin-burgess-drummer-dead-dies-77/

It's been a bad year for musicians. Rest In Peace Sir

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1011 on: December 16, 2023, 05:32:51 pm »
Followed the band (AC-DC)  a good bit of most of my life, and was puzzled why the name didn't ring a bell.

He actually did not appear on any of the band's LP's.  But was a staple in their early garage band days.  Pre- '75.

RIP anyway, and thanks for helping give rise to one of the essential "Party" bands of all time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1012 on: December 16, 2023, 08:03:15 pm »
Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Sabah, ruler of oil-rich Kuwait, dead at 86

The ruling emir of the oil-rich nation Kuwait, Sheikh Nawaf Al Ahmad Al Sabah, has died at the age of 86, just over three years after assuming power, Kuwaiti state TV announced.

His cause of death has not been revealed although the ruling emir was hospitalized last month "due to an emergency health problem" but was later reported to be in stable condition.

The small Mideast nation, which is the holder of the world's seventh-largest oil reserve, borders Iraq to the north and Saudi Arabia to the south, has seen internal power struggles behind palace doors..............

https://www.foxnews.com/world/sheikh-nawaf-al-ahmad-al-sabah-ruler-oil-rich-kuwait-dead-86

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1013 on: December 23, 2023, 09:48:12 pm »
Laura Lynch, founding member of The Dixie Chicks, dies in car crash in Texas

Laura Lynch, a founding member of The Dixie Chicks, was killed in a head-on crash Saturday in El Paso, Texas, according to TMZ.

The band, which changed its name in 2020 to The Chicks, said it was "shocked and saddened" by her death.

"We hold a special place in our hearts for the time we spent playing music, laughing and traveling together," the band wrote in a statement.

"Laura was a bright light…her infectious energy and humor gave a spark to the early days of our band," it said. "Laura had a gift for design, a love of all things Texas and was instrumental in the early success of the band. Her undeniable talents helped propel us beyond busking on street corners to stages all across Texas and the mid-West."

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/laura-lynch-founding-member-dixie-chicks-dies-car-crash-texas-rcna131039

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1014 on: December 23, 2023, 10:33:53 pm »
Laura Lynch, founding member of The Dixie Chicks, dies in car crash in Texas

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/laura-lynch-founding-member-dixie-chicks-dies-car-crash-texas-rcna131039

No seat belt. I don't know how she was killed, but I do know that your chances of surviving are something like 5 times greater if you're wearing a seat belt. And still people don't do it.

Prayers for her friends and family.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #1015 on: December 24, 2023, 12:09:06 am »
No seat belt. I don't know how she was killed, but I do know that your chances of surviving are something like 5 times greater if you're wearing a seat belt. And still people don't do it.

Prayers for her friends and family.

To bad it wasn't Natalie Maines.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1016 on: December 24, 2023, 05:45:47 pm »
To bad it wasn't Natalie Maines.

Here's why I had to stop ragging on the left for taking the low road. We all get painted with this brush when one from our side of the aisle does it. No point in complaining about leftists, unless being called out as a hypocrite isn't important to us.  22222frying pan

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1017 on: December 27, 2023, 04:54:22 pm »
Tom Smothers, Comic Half of the Smothers Brothers, Dies at 86

Tom Smothers, the older half of the comic folk duo the Smothers Brothers, whose skits and songs on “The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour” in the late 1960s brought political satire and a spirit of youthful irreverence to network television, paving the way for shows like “Saturday Night Live” and “The Daily Show,” died on Tuesday at his home in Santa Rosa, Calif., a city in Sonoma County. He was 86.

He died “following a recent battle with cancer,” a spokesman for the National Comedy Center announced on behalf of the family.

The Smothers Brothers made their way to network television as a folk act with a difference. With Tom playing guitar and Dick playing stand-up bass, they spent as much time bickering as singing.

With an innocent expression and a stammering delivery, Tom would try to introduce their songs with a story, only to be picked at by his skeptical brother. As frustration mounted, he would turn, seething, and often deliver a trademark non sequitur: “Mom always liked you best.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/27/arts/television/tom-smothers-dead.html

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1018 on: December 27, 2023, 05:22:31 pm »
Tom Smothers, Comic Half of the Smothers Brothers, Dies at 86

RIP.....

To the Smo's bro's....  A lot of my being introduced to rock music in the 1960's, and to the horror of my parents happened on your show.  From wiki...  check out this list of legends who appeared:

1. George Harrison
2.  Ringo Starr
3.  Buffalo Springfield
4.  Cream
5. Donovan
6. The Doors
7. Jefferson Airplane
8. Steppenwolf
9  Simon and Garfunkel
10.The Hollies
11. The Who

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1019 on: December 27, 2023, 06:19:43 pm »
A man of many talents...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oghxf-HS6go

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/YTR9356twWM

I want to thank Tommy Smothers for advancing the career of Glen Campbell. Glen always credited Tommy for giving him the opportunity to gain nation-wide exposure and to advance his career by approaching him to host their summer replacement show in 1968. The next year, Glen had his own CBS show.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1020 on: December 27, 2023, 09:34:08 pm »
A pretty good write up here by The Hollywood Reporter on Tom and the duos history.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/tom-smothers-dead-smothers-brothers-comedy-duo-1235775301/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1021 on: December 27, 2023, 09:40:45 pm »
Bsck when I was in college, I was taking a child psychology class. The professor showed a skit from a VHS tape of the Smothers Brothers - the one of course where "Mom likes you best"

Prof said that's everything you need to know about sibling rivalry in a nutshell.

Thank you for the laughs.

(I would hope it is still getting laughs from younger generations)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #1022 on: December 27, 2023, 11:02:56 pm »
A pretty good write up here by The Hollywood Reporter on Tom and the duos history.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/tom-smothers-dead-smothers-brothers-comedy-duo-1235775301/

Thanks for posting that. I had no idea that their daddy died in a Japanese POW camp. Just awful.

“When we tried something and were told ‘no,’ I wanted to know why,” Tom said. “Why is content controversial, putting in something real, something with meaning? I couldn’t understand why that would be an issue. And when it became one, I became extra stubborn.” .... “Dickie and I always get pissed off when people say we were canceled,” Tom said. “We were fired. Death can come in two ways, natural causes and murder. We were murdered.”

I can't help but wonder if they were in a position of power in this age, would they allow voices from the right to be included in their shows? Or would they censor POVs they didn't agree with. It's funny that the tables are completely flipped now, with conservative views being shut out in almost every entertainment venue. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1023 on: December 27, 2023, 11:13:21 pm »
Catfish's list above (reply 1025) leaves off perhaps the show's most memorable performance of all -- the return of Pete Seeger to commercial media, after years on the blacklist.

Seeger had been on the show a year earlier, but that particular episode had been (cough) "cancelled". The brothers persisted and finally got him back.

He sang "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3ZXZqIF73M

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1024 on: December 28, 2023, 12:18:01 am »
A yo-yo instructional video Tom did 30 years ago.

"Make me a yo-yo man! But the Yo Master didn't answer. He just kept on yo-ing!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rusqc41h8Hk
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024