Author Topic: Labor Market Defies Fed as Unemployment Falls to 3.5% and Economy Adds 223,000 Jobs  (Read 644 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Labor Market Defies Fed as Unemployment Falls to 3.5% and Economy Adds 223,000 Jobs

John Carney 6 Jan 2023

The U.S. economy added 223,000 jobs in December and the unemployment rate plunged to 3.5 percent, the Labor Department said Friday.

Economists had expected the economy to add 200,000 jobs and the unemployment rate to remain unchanged at 3.7 percent. The range of forecasts by economists surveyed by Econoday was between a gain on payrolls of 150,000 to 230,000. On unemployment, the range of forecasts was 3.7 percent to 3.8 percent.

The Labor Department’s Job Opening and Labor Turnover Survey, knowns as Jolts, showed that there were 10.5 million job openings at the end of November and October, around 1.7 vacancies for every unemployed person. Federal Reserve officials frequently cite the vacancy ratio as evidence that the labor market is so tight that it risks fueling inflation.

Fed officials have said that softening demand for labor is the key to bringing inflation down to their two percent target. They fear that high demand for labor is fueling wage increases that, in turn, drive prices of goods and services up.

Despite the strong gains in employment, average hourly earnings rose by less than expected. The Department of Labor said average hourly earnings rose 9 cents, or 0.3 percent, to $32.82. Over the past 12 months, average hourly earnings have increased by 4.6 percent. Economists had expected a 0.4 percent gain for the month and a five percent gain compared with a year ago. The prior month’s wage gain was revised down to 0.4 percent month-to-month from 0.6 percent and 4.8 percent annually from 5.1 percent.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/economy/2023/01/06/labor-market-tightens-as-u-s-added-223000-jobs-in-december-unemployment-fell-to-3-5/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Still putting lipstick on the pig, I see.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Still putting lipstick on the pig, I see.

:yowsa: pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
My dartboard here at home has more accuracy than BLR reporting.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What will January numbers show when all the new hires in Dec are fired....I just don't believe these numbers...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
What will January numbers show when all the new hires in Dec are fired....I just don't believe these numbers...

And what is sad wall street believes most of this.  The house of cards gets more brittle by the day.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien