Author Topic: A better plan for the Marine Corps and the nation: Vision 2035  (Read 156 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A better plan for the Marine Corps and the nation: Vision 2035
« on: January 05, 2023, 01:19:15 pm »
By Lt. Gen. Martin Steele (retired)
 Jan 4, 01:24 PM

The Marine Corps’ current plan, Force Design 2030, eliminates critical ­war-fighting capabilities and radically restructures the Marine Corps as a force to support sea denial operations in a ­Pacific war with China.

But, a new proposal for the Marine Corps, created by retired Marine generals and available online, offers an alternative approach.

Vision 2035 seeks to restore and ­enhance the Marine Corps’ principal role as the nation’s premier expeditionary force-in-readiness — organized, trained and equipped for forward presence and global response in support of the combatant commanders and their regional campaigns to compete and win against adversaries across the spectrum of conflict.

At the core of Vision 2035 is the Marine air-ground task force. Each MAGTF has unique and incomparable war-fighting capabilities, which are flexible and ­scalable. They contain organic aviation, ground and logistic units under a single command element, making them ­i­ntegrated and self-sustaining.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/2023/01/04/a-new-plan-for-the-marine-corps-and-the-nation-vision-2035/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: A better plan for the Marine Corps and the nation: Vision 2035
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 01:20:16 pm »
By 2025 it should be Force Design 2040. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: A better plan for the Marine Corps and the nation: Vision 2035
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 02:25:44 pm »
By Lt. Gen. Martin Steele (retired)
 Jan 4, 01:24 PM

The Marine Corps’ current plan, Force Design 2030, eliminates critical ­war-fighting capabilities and radically restructures the Marine Corps as a force to support sea denial operations in a ­Pacific war with China.

But, a new proposal for the Marine Corps, created by retired Marine generals and available online, offers an alternative approach.

Vision 2035 seeks to restore and ­enhance the Marine Corps’ principal role as the nation’s premier expeditionary force-in-readiness — organized, trained and equipped for forward presence and global response in support of the combatant commanders and their regional campaigns to compete and win against adversaries across the spectrum of conflict.

At the core of Vision 2035 is the Marine air-ground task force. Each MAGTF has unique and incomparable war-fighting capabilities, which are flexible and ­scalable. They contain organic aviation, ground and logistic units under a single command element, making them ­i­ntegrated and self-sustaining.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/2023/01/04/a-new-plan-for-the-marine-corps-and-the-nation-vision-2035/

Force Design 2030 was very controversial both within the Marine Corps and outside it.  I agree with these other guys -- Force Design 2030 basically pigeonoled the Marine Corps into a very limited set of missions, while making it largely useless in others.  The country can't afford to have division-sized units incapable of participation in sustained ground operations.