Author Topic: The U.S. Is Making the Same Mistakes With EVs That It Made With Gas-Powered Cars  (Read 160 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The U.S. Is Making the Same Mistakes With EVs That It Made With Gas-Powered Cars
Story by José Rodríguez Jr. • Yesterday 7:30 PM

The auto industry is in the middle of a big shift to EVs, so now would be a good time for it to hunch down, hands on knees, and catch its breath. Or if the auto industry won’t, then we, the buyers, should because U.S. automakers may be rushing us down the wrong way with bigger, faster but not better EVs.

That’s what the Atlantic claims in a report outlining the downsides of the EV transition in America, which I encourage you to go read since it lays out how automakers are repeating the same cycle of excess that got us into trouble in the first place.

The gist of it is that electric cars are better for the environment but they come with their own unique problems that we’re not trying to fix, including size and weight, speed and safety, and the relative waste of resources (battery metals) that comes with big fast EVs.

Some of those problems are hand-me-downs from combustion cars, which went from once-popular sedans to large trucks and SUVs, as the Atlantic explains:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/the-u-s-is-making-the-same-mistakes-with-evs-that-it-made-with-gas-powered-cars/ar-AA15YLVr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=8f01062c11004878abbd7d9dea33dba7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
(I-94 during a recent blizzard, much nicer than most secondary roads).

This is why we don't piss around with little, light, low clearance vehicles in North Dakota in the winter.

It has nothing to do with ego, it isn't compensating for anatomy or the lack thereof, it's just basic survival.

Golf carts are for summer...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 11:20:38 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis