Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 44416 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #1525 on: January 09, 2023, 11:10:05 pm »
"@RepMikeRogersAL and I have a six-year productive, working relationship. We're going to work together wonderfully going forward.  Idon't think there should be any punishment or reprisal just because he had an animated moment.  He has my forgiveness."  (Video)

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepMattGaetz/status/1612164184388833281

« Reply #1526 on: January 09, 2023, 11:14:34 pm »
Matt Gaetz
@mattgaetz

We are all eager to move forward as a unified Republican team.

@SpeakerMcCarthy must be his best self. We must work with him to provide the oversight, spending reforms and transformational change America requires.

I’ve never been more encouraged.

8:56 AM · Jan 9, 2023

« Reply #1527 on: January 09, 2023, 11:20:51 pm »

Online corbe

« Reply #1528 on: January 10, 2023, 12:25:30 am »
   He well knew the Turtle was a Bi1ch 2 years ago, yet still endorsed him.   :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1529 on: January 10, 2023, 12:29:35 am »

Where the heck was Trump on this when he was in the White House?  Sure could have used his support on this back then.  We could have used his support during the first 14 votes, too.  But he wanted to fast track McCarthy, keeping the rules as they are.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1530 on: January 10, 2023, 12:32:00 am »
   He well knew the Turtle was a Bi1ch 2 years ago, yet still endorsed him.   :shrug:

Yup.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #1532 on: January 10, 2023, 01:21:40 am »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

House adopts GOP rules pkg for 118th Congress. The vote: 220-213. 1 GOPer voted nay.

7:09 PM · Jan 9, 2023

Offline DB

« Reply #1533 on: January 10, 2023, 01:24:24 am »
Where the heck was Trump on this when he was in the White House?  Sure could have used his support on this back then.  We could have used his support during the first 14 votes, too.  But he wanted to fast track McCarthy, keeping the rules as they are were.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1534 on: January 10, 2023, 01:30:20 am »

« Reply #1535 on: January 10, 2023, 01:31:36 am »

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1536 on: January 10, 2023, 01:41:04 am »
Thank you for pointing that out.  My life is changed forever.

:thumbsup:  Always glad to help!
Let it burn.

Offline DB

« Reply #1537 on: January 10, 2023, 01:42:44 am »
:thumbsup:  Always glad to help!

It could be concrete...

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1538 on: January 10, 2023, 01:48:04 am »
It could be concrete...

Ironically, that shifts the ground I'm standing on.
Let it burn.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #1539 on: January 10, 2023, 02:14:34 am »

"Coco Chow"

What an embarrassment. Offend a bunch of Asian-American voters just because it amuses him.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #1540 on: January 10, 2023, 02:17:48 am »
"Coco Chow"

What an embarrassment. Offend a bunch of Asian-American voters just because it amuses him.

If Trump were still in office, Elaine Chao would still be his Secretary of Transportation.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #1541 on: January 10, 2023, 02:20:04 am »

Online corbe

« Reply #1542 on: January 10, 2023, 02:21:44 am »
    OR Ambassador to China and through the State Dept (we know how deep state they are) she could do even more Damage.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1543 on: January 10, 2023, 03:46:59 am »
"Coco Chow"

@Maj.Bill Martin

I don't give a rabid rats ass WHO is offended by that. Frankly,I wouldn't give a damn if all of China caught some sort of disease and died from it.

The end result  would be the world would be a safer place.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1544 on: January 10, 2023, 04:52:54 am »
@Maj.Bill Martin

I don't give a rabid rats ass WHO is offended by that. Frankly,I wouldn't give a damn if all of China caught some sort of disease and died from it.

The end result  would be the world would be a safer place.

I care if Asian-American voters who vote in our elections are offended by it.  I mean, the goal is to expand the voter base and win elections, not to piss off an entire ethnic group - and anyone else who may be offended by it -- with needless insults.

I'll give you an example.  My brother and sister in law are lifelong Republicans.  Her only child, her son, married a Chinese-American girl a couple of years ago.  Last Thanksgiving we were all hanging out at their house, talking about their baby that was due the second week in January.  The next day, the son and his wife were driving back home, hit a deer, and when he got out to check on the car, he was hit and killed.  So my sister in law lost her son, and all they have left is their daughter in law and a grandson who is half-Chinese.  Needless to say, they are both very important to my brother and his wife.

I can't really describe how furious they were the first time Trump played the "Coco Chow" card.  Suffice it to say that both of them voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020, and both would sooner eat glass than vote for him in 2024.  Obviously, that is an extreme case, but that comment did not go over well among a lot of potential Republican voters.  Now, maybe people shouldn't make their voting decisions based on things like that, but as you've pointed out, not everyone is a policy-obsessed political nerd.  And their votes count just as much as yours and mine.

We don't have the luxury of needlessly offending potential Republican voters.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1545 on: January 10, 2023, 05:15:57 am »
I care if Asian-American voters who vote in our elections are offended by it

@Maj. Bill Martin

I don't. If they identify themselves as Chinese,bleep them. If being an American isn't good enough for them,they can take their asses back to China.

I mean, the goal is to expand the voter base and win elections, not to piss off an entire ethnic group - and anyone else who may be offended by it -- with needless insults.

Do you REALLY think someone of Chinese ethnicity that immigrated to America and became a citizen,or someone of Chinese ethnicity that was born here and STILL refers to themselves as "Chinese" are going to vote conservative?

I'll give you an example.  My brother and sister in law are lifelong Republicans.  Her only child, her son, married a Chinese-American girl a couple of years ago.  Last Thanksgiving we were all hanging out at their house, talking about their baby that was due the second week in January.  The next day, the son and his wife were driving back home, hit a deer, and when he got out to check on the car, he was hit and killed.  So my sister in law lost her son, and all they have left is their daughter in law and a grandson who is half-Chinese.  Needless to say, they are both very important to my brother and his wife.

I get your point,but I suspect the daughter in law and the grandson were important to them before the son was killed.

I also suspect they identify as Americans,not Chinese.

I can't really describe how furious they were the first time Trump played the "Coco Chow" card.  Suffice it to say that both of them voted for Trump in 2016 and 2020, and both would sooner eat glass than vote for him in 2024.  Obviously, that is an extreme case, but that comment did not go over well among a lot of potential Republican voters.  Now, maybe people shouldn't make their voting decisions based on things like that, but as you've pointed out, not everyone is a policy-obsessed political nerd.  And their votes count just as much as yours and mine.

We don't have the luxury of needlessly offending potential Republican voters.

I do "get" your points,but I am going to stand by my "If you don't consider yourself to be an America,get your asses out of MY country" stance.

And to state the obvious,which I know you see and understand,being an America is NOT a ethnic identifier. Many people see it in different ways,but I see it as a identifier that states you put America,and what you think is good for America first over all other nations.

Ethnicity doesn't have a single damn thing to do with it.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #1546 on: January 10, 2023, 05:51:47 am »

I also suspect they identify as Americans,not Chinese.

Well, the daughter in law identifies as an American in terms of nationality, but she's of Chinese ethnicity.  Elaine Chao has been living in the U.S. since she was 8, and would at least appear to identify as American as well.  So the problem with the comment is that it gets interpreted as "if you're of Chinese ancestry, you're not a real American."  And that is what is deemed offensive.

Trump's obviously free to say it if he wishes.  It's just going to lose him some votes he might otherwise get.

Ethnicity doesn't have a single damn thing to do with it.

You may see it that way, and maybe Trump does as well.  But many others don't, and it is their perceptions that matter when it comes to voting.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1547 on: January 10, 2023, 02:33:17 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin There is no such thing as a hyphenated-American".  They are either Americans or they are not. You can thank me later.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 02:34:24 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #1548 on: January 10, 2023, 02:47:10 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin There is no such thing as a hyphenated-American".  They are either Americans or they are not. You can thank me later.

:thumbsup:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1549 on: January 10, 2023, 03:10:28 pm »

You may see it that way, and maybe Trump does as well.  But many others don't, and it is their perceptions that matter when it comes to voting.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I understand your point and agree that this is the way many people think.

We need to educate those people. Saying you are an "American" means you  are a citizen of America. Race is not a factor.

What we need to do is educate those Americans who identify by race.

AFAIAC,if you tell me you are an "African-American,Philipino-American,African-American,etc,etc,etc,that means you are a foreigner living in America.

We are ONE people,regardless of skin color,original birthplace,original language,or any other factor. The fact that so many people identify as foreigners because their ancestors were foreign to America is,in MY alleged mind,one of the factors that divides us and causes problems.

I have no problem whatsoever with some American citizen proudly proclaiming "My ancestors came here from Scotland in the 1800's",etc,etc,etc. That doesn't make THEM Scottish,it makes THEM Americans. They SHOULD be proud of that because it takes an incredible amount of courage to pack up your family and move to another country where the language,the customs,and everything else is foreign to you and your country.

Hell,these are the people that made America great because they were born with courage and ambition and willing to work hard and take chances to succeed in life.

If you are not proud of being an American or even happy with being an America,get your ass OUT of MY  country!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 03:12:23 pm by sneakypete »