Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 44784 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2023, 03:27:01 pm »

https://twitter.com/BoSnerdley/status/1610668939633098758

No, just hand it to the guy who has the most votes.  I mean, isn't that the way we usually run things?

Acting like royalty is when you have the fewest votes but believe everyone else should cater to you anyway.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2023, 03:29:22 pm »
Instead you give Hannity credibility.   :silly:

I haven't given Hannity even an hour's worth of my time in forever.
A RINO mouthpiece bobblehead.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2023, 03:31:13 pm »
No, just hand it to the guy who has the most votes.  I mean, isn't that the way we usually run things?

Acting like royalty is when you have the fewest votes but believe everyone else should cater to you anyway.

This is why Conservatives should stop supporting Republicans.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2023, 03:32:36 pm »
   These 20 Conservative renegades are not afraid of lack of committee assignments and/or campaign money for their next cycle unlike the 200 other pu$$ys who are hedging their bets for McCarthy.

Yep, more worried about their political futures than the future of the country.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2023, 03:33:44 pm »
Then what is the point of electing him if he's going to just screw us all and have to be removed? Because Trump endorsed him?

No, because it gets you past this impasse.  You don't actually know that the screwing is going to happen, especially with the leverage of the motion to vacate the chair.  So you hold his feat to the fire, and see what happens.  If he goes back on his word, move to vacate the chair.  At that point, someone like Jordan or Scalise may be more willing to step forward.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2023, 03:33:58 pm »
This is why Conservatives should stop supporting Republicans.

I am getting close.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2023, 03:34:21 pm »
Gaetz fights back tsunami of critics after tense day, brutally guts Trey Gowdy
January 5, 2023 | Chris Donaldson

The coronation of Kevin McCarthy as the next Speaker of the House continues to drag on after a the embattled Californian came out on the short end of the sixth vote on Wednesday night, leading to increased sniping at his conservative opponents.

One vocal lawmaker who is dug in against the “Speaker Designate” is Rep. Matt Gaetz and the Florida Republican discussed the stalemate with Fox News as the voting will enter a third day with McCarthy’s supporters in Congress and the media fuming over his humiliation.

Gaetz talked with anchor Trace Gallagher on “Fox News at Night” where he said that the only way that the resistance ends is with McCarthy either stepping aside or accepting the holdouts’ proposals.

Responding to Gallagher’s statement that McCarthy didn’t want another vote on Wednesday out of the belief that he’s getting closer to the magic number and whether it’s a fair assessment, Gaetz dismissed the idea.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/01/05/gaetz-fights-back-tsunami-of-critics-after-tense-day-brutally-guts-trey-gowdy-1322378/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2023, 03:35:28 pm »
This is who folks are betting the farm on.  In this rambling, incoherent diatribe Boebert not only proves there is no plan . . ..

John Hancock didn't have a plan either.  But he sure made sure his voice was heard.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2023, 03:35:43 pm »
   These 20 Conservative renegades are not afraid of lack of committee assignments and/or campaign money for their next cycle unlike the 200 other pu$$ys who are hedging their bets for McCarthy.

Actually, specific committee assignments appear to be part of their demands.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2023, 03:36:16 pm »

You act like royalty when you tell people to make you boss because you said so, and offer nothing, or crumbs.

Majority plus 1 is the rules. If you don't like it, don't play. Refer all moral pontification to the worship center of your choice.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2023, 03:37:00 pm »
I am getting close.

There has been little profit in them in the 30+ years I have been politically active. And PLENTY of deficit. Sooner or later you come to the realization that you can't get from here to there with this equipment. Time to find another vehicle for Conservatives.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2023, 03:37:14 pm »

Trey Gowdy lost any moral authority to say anything about anything after he let the bitch Hillary off the hook.

Stick it up your rectum Gowdy.....

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2023, 03:38:49 pm »
It looks like the serious negotiations have been going on with the Freedom Caucus, sans Gaetz and Boebert ---- which could explain why Boebert can't talk specifics and Gaetz is so angry.

Jake Sherman
@JakeSherman

2) after days of stalemate, negotiations between McCarthy and opponents have turned slightly positive. he is trying to drive a wedge between
@laurenboebert/@mattgaetz and the rest of the conservatives.

7:33 AM · Jan 5, 2023

Jake Sherman
@JakeSherman

As we reported throughout yesterday, here are the items under discussion in the KM/HFC talks. We'll see how some of these turn out.

7:33 AM · Jan 5, 2023

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2023, 03:40:40 pm »
You act like royalty when you tell people to make you boss because you said so, and offer nothing, or crumbs.

Majority plus 1 is the rules. If you don't like it, don't play. Refer all moral pontification to the worship center of your choice.

Consensus building of dims and RINOs  to appease the swamp sucks.  It's what got us here in the first place.

I applaud the 20 for at least throwing rocks at the proverbial sleazy establisment cabal's window.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2023, 03:41:03 pm »
January 5, 2023 | Chris Donaldson

The coronation of Kevin McCarthy as the next Speaker of the House continues to drag on after a the embattled Californian came out on the short end of the sixth vote on Wednesday night, leading to increased sniping at his conservative opponents.

One vocal lawmaker who is dug in against the “Speaker Designate” is Rep. Matt Gaetz and the Florida Republican discussed the stalemate with Fox News as the voting will enter a third day with McCarthy’s supporters in Congress and the media fuming over his humiliation.

Gaetz talked with anchor Trace Gallagher on “Fox News at Night” where he said that the only way that the resistance ends is with McCarthy either stepping aside or accepting the holdouts’ proposals.

Responding to Gallagher’s statement that McCarthy didn’t want another vote on Wednesday out of the belief that he’s getting closer to the magic number and whether it’s a fair assessment, Gaetz dismissed the idea.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/01/05/gaetz-fights-back-tsunami-of-critics-after-tense-day-brutally-guts-trey-gowdy-1322378/

“There’s a reason Kevin McCarthy doesn’t want to continue having votes and it’s because with each vote, he seems to be decreasing in his vote share and we’ve only increased with votes in our vote share in opposition to Kevin McCarthy,” Gaetz said. “We suspect that trend is likely to continue.”

“And  I think this ends one of two ways, Trace, either Kevin bows out, realizing there’s no path for him to become speaker of the House even if he picks up one, two or three or five of the twenty who have opposed him a half dozen times on the floor, or he essentially has to wake up, bring the House into session, and put on a straitjacket with a rules package that we presented to him that doesn’t allow a lot of discretion for the Speaker of the House,” he continued.

That's conservatism, looking beyond 'let's get a win so we can beat our chest.'

Full steam Gaetz.
The Republic is lost.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2023, 03:41:44 pm »
I agree with this @Maj. Bill Martin  it's pretty much that way with all show hosts (which is why I'm loathe to watch any of them).

But, Boebert knows this, too, and she couldn't or wouldn't answer one question.  I think that's unacceptable when you're holding the Congress hostage ----- itemize your demands and just what you're holding out for "for as long as it takes".

I also think asking her at what point she stands down because she hasn't a candidate or the votes was fair.

Well...except she kind of did answer his question.  He just didn't like the answer.

Her answer was that a lot of McCarthy's support is soft, and would be more than willing to vote for a different speaker.  So, she says McCarthy should step aside so that someone with broader support could take the position.  He wasn't willing to address that point, so he pretended she never made it.

I think there are some pretty good responses to her answer -- specifically, even if 100-150 are willing to support someone else, that still leaves you unable to get to 218.  Maybe it isn't possible to find a Speaker on which 218 agree, so you just agree to resolve it with a majority vote, with everyone supporting the winner.  She obviously won't agree to that, but at least that would have been a response by Hannity.

Instead, he just kept repeating his own talking points right over her.

« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2023, 03:43:06 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

Snerdley probably has the best argument to channel the ghost of Rush Limbaugh than anyone else on earth...   Even Levin.    I mean they were inseparable as radio partners for 40 years.......

Instead you give Hannity credibility.   :silly:

Don't shoot the messenger @catfish1957 ---- me or Hannity.  One doesn't have to like either to acknowledge Boebert came off as a lightweight clown in the interview.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2023, 03:44:16 pm »
Heroes sometimes kill dragons, but why that is such a romantic notion is because most of the time, the dragons kill the heroes. Be happy if they live to fight another day...

If these concessions are all they ever get, be content - because that alone was such a fat finger of rebellion against the 'Man', that it's like is seldom seen.

Agreed.  I fondly remember what Noot did after he became Speaker.  First and foremost, he removed Congress' immunity from the Civil Rights Act.  For the 30 years before the GOP takeover in 1995, Democrats had made themselves immune to the provisions of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Noot changed that because he ran on that.

It would be nice to see McCarthy advocate for the same foundational type changes.  For example, a promise to restore the budgeting process to over a dozen separate appropriation bills.  Or one to restore the one-member-challenge rule for the Speakership - a rule that Pelosi did away with.  But we haven't heard McCarthy advance any of those ideas.  The only thing he has offered is a promise a vote to get rid of the 87,000 IRS agents on Day One - a promise already broken.

These 21 House members are my champions - not Kevin McCarthy.  And I don't give a damn for any GOP Establishment bastards who are upset by it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2023, 03:45:19 pm »
Well...except she kind of did answer his question.  He just didn't like the answer.

Her answer was that a lot of McCarthy's support is soft, and would be more than willing to vote for a different speaker.  So, she says McCarthy should step aside so that someone with broader support could take the position.  He wasn't willing to address that point, so he pretended she never made it.

I think there are some pretty good responses to her answer -- specifically, even if 100-150 are willing to support someone else, that still leaves you unable to get to 218.  Maybe it isn't possible to find a Speaker on which 218 agree, so you just agree to resolve it with a majority vote, with everyone supporting the winner.  She obviously won't agree to that, but at least that would have been a response by Hannity.

Instead, he just kept repeating his own talking points right over her.

Okay, if you insist @Maj. Bill Martin ......  :shrug:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2023, 03:45:23 pm »
Here’s what those concessions look like.

A one-member “motion to vacate”: The GOP leader appears to have finally acquiesced to a demand to lower the threshold needed to force a vote ousting a speaker to just one member. While McCarthy originally indicated that restoring the one-member “motion to vacate” was a red line, his allies now argue that there’s not a huge practical difference between this and his previous offer of requiring five members to trigger the vote.
        Rules Committee seats for the Freedom Caucus: McCarthy is prepared to give the House Freedom Caucus two seats on the powerful House Rules Committee, which oversees the amendment process for the floor. (Some conservatives are still holding out for four seats on the panel.) There are also talks about giving a third seat to a conservative close to the Freedom Caucus but not in it — someone like Reps. THOMAS MASSIE (R-Ky.). Who will pick those members? We’re told there is ongoing haggling. Typically, it’s the speaker’s prerogative, but conservatives want to choose their own members for these jobs.
        A vote on term limits: This is a key demand of Rep. RALPH NORMAN (R-S.C.), who has proposed a constitutional amendment limiting lawmakers to three terms in the House.
        Major changes to the appropriations process: Fears of another trillion-plus-dollar omnibus spending bill have been a major driver of the conservative backlash to McCarthy. The brewing deal includes a promise for standalone votes on each of the 12 yearly appropriations bills, which would be considered under what is known as an “open rule,” allowing floor amendments to be offered by any lawmaker. Conservatives also won a concession to carve out any earmarks included in those packages for separate votes, though it’s unclear if they’d be voted on as one package or separately.

These aren’t small potatoes. Getting the Freedom Caucus onto the rules committee has been a long-time goal and one that could pay dividends in keeping McCarthy in line. Thomas Massie also getting a seat would be huge given he’s perhaps the best Republican in the House regarding government spending, and much of the gamesmanship with rules has to do with spending.

The other big thing here is the changes to the appropriations process. Massive omnibus bills, pioneered by Mitch McConnell, have become the norm, and that’s a terrible way to run a government. Promising stand-alone votes and the allowance of amendments is a big step back toward normal order.

Most importantly, the one-vote motion to vacate puts McCarthy on the hot seat and is another valuable way to keep him from breaking his promises. He’s not going to want another pro-longed fight for Speaker in the middle of his term, especially if those who start it can no longer trust him. As to the vote on term limits, it’s just a meaningless gesture that will fail, but it’s what Ralph Norman wants. Certainly, it can’t hurt to get the House on record.

Will all this be enough to get McCarthy within striking distance again? We’ll find out shortly. It does still appear that there are enough holdouts to make things interesting a bit longer. Even more concessions are probably coming.

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/01/05/kevin-mccarthy-caves-n683774
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2023, 03:45:39 pm »

Her answer was that a lot of McCarthy's support is soft, and would be more than willing to vote for a different speaker. 

The creamy RINO center of the Republican Party IS soft - Step-and-fetch-it for whichever way the wind is blowing. They stand upon sand and are worried only for their position and being in the shadow of power. Were the Conservatives to ascend, you can bet money the lion's share of the middle would immediately go hard right.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2023, 03:46:01 pm »
Don't shoot the messenger @catfish1957 ---- me or Hannity.  One doesn't have to like either to acknowledge Boebert came off as a lightweight clown in the interview.

Hannity came off as one who solidly backs the Swamp Establishment.  And Boebert came off as someone willing to fight against the Swamp Establishment.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2023, 03:46:11 pm »

Acknowlededged.  And the fact she won her last election by dozens, and is one of POTUS Trump's biggest supporters. I'd say politically she is a Dead Chick Walking.

Especially after this, maybe her. most watched interview ever.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:47:38 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2023, 03:48:49 pm »
Hannity came off as one who solidly backs the Swamp Establishment.  And Boebert came off as someone willing to fight against the Swamp Establishment.

Hannity did immeasureable damage by pushing Oz and Walker at the very beginning,

He should be never forgiven for that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2023, 03:52:19 pm »
These 21 House members are my champions - not Kevin McCarthy.  And I don't give a damn for any GOP Establishment bastards who are upset by it.

YEP. No surprise that you and I are in grand agreement.  :beer: