Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 44411 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2023, 02:16:41 pm »
This is who folks are betting the farm on.  In this rambling, incoherent diatribe Boebert not only proves there is no plan, but also admits McCarthy's replacement doesn't have to be a conservative.  . (Video)

https://youtu.be/_hF5aw5K9-Q

Not a fan of the holdouts, but Hannity never lets others finish a sentence unless it advances whatever narrative he supports.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2023, 02:18:44 pm »
A 6 inch leash with one of those dog training collars. You know, the kind that will beep if you’re starting to side with the Dems and will shock you if you passively approve another ridiculous spending bill.

lol....

Yep, put that shock collar on, and put the settings to "10"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2023, 02:18:51 pm »
Fingers crossed.  I'm okay letting   him have it with a 6 inch leash.

Like I said before... The Freedom Caucus is showing they've got the balls... But it is good to remember they ain't got the poop. *JUST* gaining real concessions is a monumental win. If that's all they do, that is way more than has been done in a long time.

One can hope they can depose the king - But even in saying that - While that would be a gargantuan win - It never has been all that realistic. The moderates have had a lock on the levers of power since '95. Overturning that with a determined but ragtag bunch would be marvelous - but gird yourselves with the knowledge of how perilous that is... how impossible.

Heroes sometimes kill dragons, but why that is such a romantic notion is because most of the time, the dragons kill the heroes. Be happy if they live to fight another day...

If these concessions are all they ever get, be content - because that alone was such a fat finger of rebellion against the 'Man', that it's like is seldom seen.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2023, 02:19:53 pm »
Think I'll start posting multi-thread anti-trump pieces too.

Start?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2023, 02:20:24 pm »
McCarthy sweetens his offer to House GOP rebels

Alayna Treene, author of Axios Sneak Peek

4 January, 2023

House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy offered fresh concessions on Wednesday evening in an attempt to keep his speakership bid alive, multiple GOP sources told Axios.

Between the lines: It's unclear whether the 20 House GOP rebels will accept the offer, although one GOP member called the plan "an amazing deal they'd be dumb to turn down."

McCarthy's proposal, according to sources familiar with the plan:

One member motion to vacate, instead of five.
More House Freedom Caucus members on the House Rules Committee.
Promises to hold votes on controversial term limit and border security bills.
What's next: The House resumes at noon eastern time on Thursday.

CNN reported details of the concessions earlier on Wednesday evening.

Source:  https://www.axios.com/2023/01/05/kevin-mccarthy-concessions-speaker-vote

That's a damn fair deal.  If McCarthy doesn't do what he's promised, they have the ability to move to vacate the chair and force a new election.  That seems a very reasonable compromise to end this stuff and move on.

The problem is that the Gaetz faction has let their rhetoric and emotions ratchet up to the point where they've put their personal egos/prestige on the line, and may not be able to back down even if it's a fair deal.  Just a really bad thing to do in any organization.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2023, 02:21:16 pm »
Not a fan of the holdouts, but Hannity never lets others finish a sentence unless it advances whatever narrative he supports.

Hannity is basically Fox's  inverse representive  idiot countering MSNBC.

When I am in the mood for Cable News?  Waters- Carlson- Hannity- Ingram- Gutfeld

Always a welcome hour break.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2023, 02:23:06 pm »
Chad Pergram
@ChadPergram

1) GOP FL Rep-elect Gimenez on Fox on Speaker’s race: I don't get everything that I want, but I'm also part of the team. I'm part of the Republican team and we need to get on with the business of America..

2) Gimenez: Nobody should have any special treatment

7:26 AM · Jan 5, 2023

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2023, 02:34:45 pm »
That's a damn fair deal.  If McCarthy doesn't do what he's promised, they have the ability to move to vacate the chair and force a new election.  That seems a very reasonable compromise to end this stuff and move on.

The problem is that the Gaetz faction has let their rhetoric and emotions ratchet up to the point where they've put their personal egos/prestige on the line, and may not be able to back down even if it's a fair deal.  Just a really bad thing to do in any organization.

Valid points.  But if we see that 20 number evaporate in any substance, Gaetz' effort will come across more like a vendetta than a protest vote. I hope he has more political savvy than that.

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2023, 02:36:12 pm »

I agree with this @Maj. Bill Martin  it's pretty much that way with all show hosts (which is why I'm loathe to watch any of them).

But, Boebert knows this, too, and she couldn't or wouldn't answer one question.  I think that's unacceptable when you're holding the Congress hostage ----- itemize your demands and just what you're holding out for "for as long as it takes".

I also think asking her at what point she stands down because she hasn't a candidate or the votes was fair.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2023, 02:36:17 pm »
Speaker Race Breakthrough: McCarthy PAC Agrees with Conservatives on No Spending in Safe Open-Seat Primaries

Ashley Oliver 4 Jan 2023 Washington, DC

The conservative and influential Club for Growth announced it cut a deal with the super PAC affiliated with House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA), signaling possible movement in the House speaker race after a stalemate had resulted in no speaker through six rounds of voting as of Wednesday afternoon.

The deal with the McCarthy-affiliated super PAC, the Congressional Leadership Fund (CLF), involves CLF agreeing to stay out of open-seat Republican primaries in safely red districts, as well as CLF vowing not to enable other super PACs to do the same.

Club for Growth President Dave McIntosh said in a statement the agreement “fulfills a major concern” that his organization had held and noted that as long as certain “principles” are met, Club for Growth would endorse McCarthy for speaker.

“This agreement on super PAC’s fulfills a major concern we have pressed for,” McIntosh stated. “We understand that Leader McCarthy and Members are working on a rules agreement that will meet the principles we have set out previously. Assuming these principles are met, Club for Growth will support Kevin McCarthy for Speaker.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/04/speaker-race-breakthrough-mccarthy-pac-agrees-conservatives-no-spending-safe-open-seat-primaries/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2023, 02:38:29 pm »
The concessions McCarthy made are significant. Axios and Politico Playbook reported:

One member motion threshold needed to force a vote ousting a speaker, instead of five.
    More House Freedom Caucus members on the House Rules Committee (two seats).
    Pledges to hold votes on lawmaker term limit and border security bills.
    Major changes to the appropriations process to prevent another omnibus bill by allowing floor amendments to be offered by any lawmaker.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/05/kevin-mccarthy-gives-4-more-concessions-before-thursdays-speakership-vote/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2023, 02:39:53 pm »
And then there's this

Elon Musk Backs Kevin McCarthy for House Speaker

Twitter owner and CEO Elon Musk has publicly backed House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy to become Speaker of the House, using social media Thursday morning to offer his support.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/05/elon-musk-backs-kevin-mccarthy-for-house-speaker/
Support the USO

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2023, 02:42:49 pm »
And then there's this

Elon Musk Backs Kevin McCarthy for House Speaker

Twitter owner and CEO Elon Musk has publicly backed House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy to become Speaker of the House, using social media Thursday morning to offer his support.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/05/elon-musk-backs-kevin-mccarthy-for-house-speaker/

9999hair out0000 9999hair out0000

Elon...   Thanks for what you do, but in your shoes you need to be at least at the surface politically impartial.

This is what got Dorsey in hot water in the first place.

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2023, 02:57:10 pm »
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene
@RepMTG

The plan is to stop the Democrats!!!
Wake up to political reality and remember who the enemy is.

Michael J. Morrison
@OfficeOfMike

Replying to @RepMTG

The plan is to stop McCarthy.

1:43 PM · Jan 4, 2023

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2023, 03:00:21 pm »
January 5, 2023 8:53am EST
GOP holdout Dan Bishop says he will resign if bid to stop McCarthy fails
Opposition to Rep.-elect McCarthy from 'never Kevin' Republicans remains steadfast as negotiations continued overnight

By Chris Pandolfo | Fox News

After six votes in two days, House Republicans still do not have a consensus candidate for speaker, and 20 GOP holdouts remain opposed to Rep.-elect Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., for the job. One member of the group, Dan Bishop of North Carolina, went so far as to say he would resign from Congress if they are unsuccessful in their effort to bring about institutional change in the House – which they do not trust McCarthy to deliver. 

"We’re going to either see improvement up here the same way we made remarkable improvements in North Carolina in the state legislature, or I’m out," Bishop told Roll Call in an interview published early Thursday morning. He said that over McCarthy's 14-year tenure in Republican leadership, the would-be speaker has said the same things over and over again about threats facing the country and "every one of them has gotten worse, not better." 

As someone who is "older than the average bear" and "not going to stay up here for decades," Bishop told Roll Call he has no qualms about adopting a "never Kevin" position in the ongoing leadership fight.

Such is the opposition the majority of the Republican conference faces as they struggle to find 218 votes for the next House speaker. McCarthy can only afford to lose four votes in his quest for the speaker's gavel, and not even the urging of former President Trump for Republicans to rally behind him was enough to change minds. 

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gop-holdout-dan-bishop-says-he-will-resign-bid-stop-mccarthy-fails
Support the USO

Online roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2023, 03:01:18 pm »
Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene
@RepMTG

The plan is to stop the Democrats!!!
Wake up to political reality and remember who the enemy is.

1:43 PM · Jan 4, 2023

McCarthy and company provably will not stop the democrats.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2023, 03:02:36 pm »
The concessions McCarthy made are significant. Axios and Politico Playbook reported:

One member motion threshold needed to force a vote ousting a speaker, instead of five.
    Major changes to the appropriations process to prevent another omnibus bill by allowing floor amendments to be offered by any lawmaker.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/01/05/kevin-mccarthy-gives-4-more-concessions-before-thursdays-speakership-vote/

That's my and should be the focus - changing the rules and how the House does business going forward and stopping what happened last session in it's tracks. Keep it on a tight leash.

And I would just give McCarthy his 218 and leave those like Gaetz and Boebert as holdouts, just as a reminder they can shoot down anything at any time.

We have to stop the bloated spending cold.
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2023, 03:03:58 pm »
McCarthy and company provably will not stop the democrats.

Then vote to vacate the Chair.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2023, 03:05:50 pm »

Won't happen.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2023, 03:06:22 pm »

Then what is the point of electing him if he's going to just screw us all and have to be removed? Because Trump endorsed him?
The Republic is lost.

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2023, 03:06:57 pm »

One member motion threshold needed to force a vote ousting a speaker, instead of five.

Okay... Now let's wrap this up ànd get to work.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2023, 03:22:10 pm »

https://twitter.com/BoSnerdley/status/1610668939633098758
@Right_in_Virginia

Snerdley probably has the best argument to channel the ghost of Rush Limbaugh than anyone else on earth...   Even Levin.    I mean they were inseparable as radio partners for 40 years.......

Instead you give Hannity credibility.   :silly:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:23:57 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline corbe

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2023, 03:26:40 pm »
   These 20 Conservative renegades are not afraid of lack of committee assignments and/or campaign money for their next cycle unlike the 200 other pu$$ys who are hedging their bets for McCarthy.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.