Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 44388 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2023, 05:32:59 pm »
No, I'd rather elect more of them, in general.

You do realize that McCarthy/McConnell/McDaniel have been working diligently to prevent that from happening, right?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2023, 05:35:04 pm »
You do realize that McCarthy/McConnell/McDaniel have been working diligently to prevent that from happening, right?

Yes, they have and that is a major part of the problem.

Online corbe

« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2023, 05:35:13 pm »
    With Donalds back up for nomination, apparently the Freedom Caucus is not happy with the concessions granted so far by McCarthy.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2023, 05:40:27 pm »
   McCarthy will go down again.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2023, 05:42:12 pm »
Yes, I believe we are.
If you still prefer electing a Speaker by simple majority--We would Get Hakeem Jeffries as illustrated by all previous 6 votes.
Apparently someone much smarter than me decided simple majority is fine but "only" by the majority party in electing a speaker.
You're much wiser than I so I'm sure I left holes in my analysis you can contend.

We basically do the same thing with primaries.  And I've never had much use for the kind of politician that chooses to belong to a party, participates in primaries, but then won't support the winner if it doesn't happen to be him.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2023, 05:42:38 pm »

Yep.  Stubborn fool.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2023, 05:42:53 pm »

Yep, that's 7 against McCarthy already.  8th vote coming up next.

McCarthy becomes that much more of an embarassment after each subsequent vote.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2023, 05:43:11 pm »

Already has!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2023, 05:43:59 pm »
We basically do the same thing with primaries.  And I've never had much use for the kind of politician that chooses to belong to a party, participates in primaries, but then won't support the winner if it doesn't happen to be him.

What they're not accepting is Establishment-business-as-usual.  And for that they have earned my praise.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2023, 05:44:03 pm »

And I am directly the opposite. Party be damned if it crosses lines that principles will not allow.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2023, 05:44:33 pm »

But, but, but nobody else wants the position. That’s what we are told to believe.
For all you've given Lord, I stand amazed.
Salvation covers me, forever changed!
In all I could not be, You met every need!
My sin, my broken life, Your cross, Your sacrifice
My hopelessness, my shame, Your faithfulness,  Your grace
The greatest mystery, Your awesome love for me.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2023, 05:44:47 pm »
Yep.  Stubborn fool.

Hey Kev....

Need a number?

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2023, 05:45:20 pm »
What they're not accepting is Establishment-business-as-usual.  And for that they have earned my praise.

:yowsa: 888high58888

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2023, 05:46:06 pm »
Kinda wondering at the inside baseball here. Has McCarthy not moved and blew the dissenters off again, or something else?
The Republic is lost.

Online corbe

« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2023, 05:47:08 pm »
   Geatz just voted for Trump

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2023, 05:47:16 pm »

I have a very simple rule for voting, ALWAYS vote for the most conservative candidate available. Primaries or generals. Doesn't matter.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2023, 05:47:31 pm »
Freakin' Gaetz.  What an AH.

Like it wasn't already a clown car circus.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 05:48:35 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2023, 05:48:31 pm »
Guy Benson
@guypbenson
·
11s
John James (R-MI), nominates McCarthy ahead of the 7th ballot, giving the best nominating speech thus far.

The irony here is startling.  John James would be a US Senator right now if not for the GOP Establishment that McCarthy represents.  James won the 2020 Senate election in Michigan, only to have it stolen by Detroit printing presses at 3 am.  And the GOP Establishment didn't do a damn thing about it.

To Congressman James, Kevin McCarthy is not your friend.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2023, 05:49:20 pm »
   Geatz just voted for Trump

If only for a day, I'm on board with that.  Just to make Pelosi hand him the gavel.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2023, 05:49:26 pm »
Freakin' Gaetz.  What an AH.
He has proven himself to me. I'd vote FOR him in a heartbeat.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2023, 05:50:45 pm »
He has proven himself to me. I'd vote FOR him in a heartbeat.

DJT as Speaker?  No thanks.....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2023, 05:52:28 pm »

Offline oldno7

« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2023, 05:54:01 pm »

I think the problem has become one of entitlement, rather than earned respect and loyalty.(regarding speaker)

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2023, 05:54:34 pm »
DJT as Speaker?  No thanks.....

I was speaking of Gaetz. But DJT as speaker would be interesting as well.

Meanwhile, McCarthy appears to be making a little progress this round.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2023, 05:54:41 pm »
Kinda wondering at the inside baseball here. Has McCarthy not moved and blew the dissenters off again, or something else?

McCarthy has chosen vinegar over honey.  If he becomes Speaker, there will be zero Conservatives on the rules committee.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-