Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread  (Read 44850 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: House Speaker Vote Live 2nd Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2023, 04:18:30 pm »
Here's the thing....

Given a Democratic Senate and Democratic President, a GOP House wasn't going to be able to enact any conservative legislation anyway.  We were pretty much going to have an impasse for the next two years no matter what.

My goal isn't to enact Conservative legislation.  My goal is to stop enacting liberal legislation.  Congress doing nothing is a win.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2023, 04:19:21 pm »
I don't even like McCarthy and I'd support him in that.  I just absolutely detest the idea of this 20 trying to dictate to the other 200 members of the caucus.  If the argument is "well, if you can't get to 218 then you really aren't a leader", then that argument applies equally to whomever runs against McCarthy, and can be used by any small faction -- including McCarthy and his 4 supporters -- that doesn't get exactly what they want.  I'd support McCarthy just in principle.

I've said I'd support McCarthy, if he'd accept the FC terms, and govern as a conservative. 

But.....Lots of ancecdotal evidence he'd rather deal with dims.  Prove me otherwise.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2023, 04:19:47 pm »
Here's the thing....

Given a Democratic Senate and Democratic President, a GOP House wasn't going to be able to enact any conservative legislation anyway.  We were pretty much going to have an impasse for the next two years no matter what.

Funny that... Because the liberals advance even when they are out of power.
The RINO problem prevents republican advance even when in power.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2023, 04:21:51 pm »
AGREED. Which is why I am a Republican no more. They give lip service to conservative principles when they need to be elected - but that's the only time... Other than a hardy few --- These among them.

I'm totally fine with that.  My point is that if these 20 aren't willing to abide by what the overwhelming majority of the caucus voted for, and are instead making special demands way out of proportions to their numbers, then perhaps they shouldn't have run as Republicans at all in the first place so there wouldn't be any implied obligation to support the majority choice of the caucus.

Gartz himself has used the word "Uniparty", which essentially means he sees no difference between Republicans and Democrats.  Okay, fine.  Then you shouldn't have run as a Republican.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2023, 04:22:05 pm »
My goal isn't to enact Conservative legislation.  My goal is to stop enacting liberal legislation.  Congress doing nothing is a win.

Exactly instead of obstruction, with McCarthy, we'll be hearing garbage with terms like collaboratipn, bi-partisanship, and cooperation.

Is that what Briefers want?  Let's at least get him in on an iron clad committment to stop Biden.   Because all I've heard from him thus far, is mixed signals.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2023, 04:22:34 pm »
If McCarthy can't agree with these, then he should have the integrity to resign and become a Democrat.

I applaud Gaetz for his strategy. Actual common sense, whodathunk?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 04:24:15 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2023, 04:23:17 pm »
And '94 ended up being  eyewash.  Newt folded to Clinton like a cheap tent when the chips were down

Yeah... But there for a minute... And Clinton gets to claim the only time in my lifetime that the government came close to a balanced budget - Though we both know who that really was...

And the fruit from that movement - many of our solid conservatives started right there.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2023, 04:29:18 pm »
I'm totally fine with that.  My point is that if these 20 aren't willing to abide by what the overwhelming majority of the caucus voted for, and are instead making special demands way out of proportions to their numbers, then perhaps they shouldn't have run as Republicans at all in the first place so there wouldn't be any implied obligation to support the majority choice of the caucus.

Gartz himself has used the word "Uniparty", which essentially means he sees no difference between Republicans and Democrats.  Okay, fine.  Then you shouldn't have run as a Republican.

implied obligation is only implied. And if they got railroaded in conference, and got McCarthy shoved down their throats, then the only rebellion they get is right here right now. And more power to em.

And there is no difference between the parties. Other than these hardy few... Exampled by the passage of the latest omnibus that tore the teeth out of the new Republican House. Sabotage that the RINOs facilitated.

Two legs of a single beast, slouching toward Gomorrah.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2023, 04:34:02 pm »
implied obligation is only implied. And if they got railroaded in conference, and got McCarthy shoved down their throats, then the only rebellion they get is right here right now. And more power to em.

I've found the MTG-MCarthy alliance has been especially fascinating. She's either decided to be 100.000% in lockstep with Trump, or after being stripped of committee assignments desperate to get back into good graces with the powers that be (Swamp).

I know, I have lost a lot of respect for some of the garbage she's Tweeted lately.

25 minutes to Daytime Congressional Drama Part III.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 04:34:52 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2023, 04:36:30 pm »
I've found the MTG-MCarthy alliance has been especially fascinating. She's either decided to be 100.000% in lockstep with Trump, or after being stripped of committee assignments desperate to get back into good graces with the powers that be (Swamp).

I know, I have lost a lot of respect for some of the garbage she's Tweeted lately.

I never got that excited about MTG to start with.  :shrug:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2023, 04:39:05 pm »
I never got that excited about MTG to start with.  :shrug:

I don't know, I sure liked the Heckling she gave Obama at his SOTU address a number of years back.

Man did I ever despise Obama.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2023, 04:40:45 pm »

Yes. create a legislative stalemate. Pass good bills, we know they won't go anywhere but they can say are at least working at it. Block their agenda, stop the spending. It's just getting recycled back to the Rats' campaign coffers. Cut off their money.

Then you can focus on investigations. Expose the Biden crime family completely. Send him over the edge, let the 25 amendment come into play, start a Rat civil war. Expose and impeach his underlings, create total chaos within his admin.

Then use the courts to stop his EO's and the admin's shady practices. Join with the States to frustrate the Rats at every turn.

The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2023, 04:42:24 pm »
I don't know, I sure liked the Heckling she gave Obama at his SOTU address a number of years back.

Man did I ever despise Obama.

I tend not to get caught up in the drama. I look at actions and record.  :shrug:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2023, 04:45:11 pm »
I tend not to get caught up in the drama. I look at actions and record.  :shrug:

Same here, but you got to give red meat to the base.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2023, 04:45:19 pm »

She was on the radio this morning talking about it.  Her claim for supporting McCarthy is because no one else wants the job.  She also claims that McCarthy has learned a lot in the last two years and will move forward with more antagonism towards Democrats.  But if that were really the case, then McCarthy would accept any terms the Conservatives put forth to get his payback.

The one thing that MTG said that made sense was that there was a lot going on behind the scenes and to not listen to the press.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2023, 04:46:42 pm »
Exactly instead of obstruction, with McCarthy, we'll be hearing garbage with terms like collaboratipn, bi-partisanship, and cooperation.

Is that what Briefers want?  Let's at least get him in on an iron clad committment to stop Biden.   Because all I've heard from him thus far, is mixed signals.

The problem is that the counterpart to the 30 or so members of the Freedom Caucus are more squishy GOP types on the other end who are unwilling to do things like shut down the government or not raise the debt ceiling.  So what is inevitably going to happen is that the hardliners are going to demand things that can't get support from the squishies, and those squishies aren't going to want to shut down the government.   And if the hardliners won't budge, the squishies will end up siding with Democrats, and we'll end up with something worse than if we were willing to compromise a bit.

If we want a more conservative Congress, we have to elect a more conservative Congress.

Offline oldno7

« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2023, 04:47:10 pm »

So you favor a Democracy?
Rare poster, constant lurker but I gotta tell ya, I really like how this Constitutional Republic thing works.
I'm enjoying watching a party NOT hijacked by a singular principle of follow the leader and get along to get along.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2023, 04:47:30 pm »
She was on the radio this morning talking about it.  Her claim for supporting McCarthy is because no one else wants the job.  She also claims that McCarthy has learned a lot in the last two years and will move forward with more antagonism towards Democrats.  But if that were really the case, then McCarthy would accept any terms the Conservatives put forth to get his payback.

The one thing that MTG said that made sense was that there was a lot going on behind the scenes and to not listen to the press.

Look up "Snake in the Grass" in Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2023, 04:48:53 pm »

There are 200 other members of that caucus who aren't going to accept all the prime committee slots going to a small group of dissenters.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2023, 04:49:07 pm »
Rare poster, constant lurker but I gotta tell ya, I really like how this Constitutional Republic thing works.
I'm enjoying watching a party NOT hijacked by a singular principle of follow the leader and get along to get along.

Good posting.....

:thumbsup:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2023, 04:51:54 pm »

She has been catching heck with replies to her posts, eaten alive replies, one after another
... she is certainly not reading what her followers think of her pushing McRino.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2023, 04:52:19 pm »
The problem is that the counterpart to the 30 or so members of the Freedom Caucus are more squishy GOP types on the other end who are unwilling to do things like shut down the government or not raise the debt ceiling.  So what is inevitably going to happen is that the hardliners are going to demand things that can't get support from the squishies, and those squishies aren't going to want to shut down the government.   And if the hardliners won't budge, the squishies will end up siding with Democrats, and we'll end up with something worse than if we were willing to compromise a bit.

They side with the democrats anyway.  :shrug:

If we want a more conservative Congress, we have to elect a more conservative Congress.

That's right... And we're right back to TEA Party, and stop getting distracted by shiny sh*t...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2023, 04:53:50 pm »

BUMP THAT!  :beer: :seeya:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2023, 04:53:53 pm »

Gets my nomination for post of the week! @oldno7
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2023, 04:54:54 pm »
Updated the video link on the Utubes for todays festivities.
The Republic is lost.