Author Topic: Scalise enters Speaker’s race  (Read 489 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Scalise enters Speaker’s race
« on: October 04, 2023, 05:51:57 pm »
 Scalise enters Speaker’s race
by Rebecca Beitsch - 10/04/23 1:30 PM ET

House Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.) formally threw his hat into the ring to replace ousted Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), pushing the need for unity in a letter to colleagues.

“Our strength as a Conference comes from our unity, and we have seen when we unite as a Conference, we can deliver wins for the American people. Now we need to take those unified positions and work to extract conservative wins from the Democrat Senate and White House by leveraging upcoming deadlines,” he wrote.

“While we need to be realistic about what can be achieved, if we stay united, we can preserve leverage for the House to secure tangible wins in our impending policy fights.”

Scalise nodded to the dysfunction in the House after eight GOP members backed Rep. Matt Gaetz’s (R-Fla.) move to push McCarthy from his role.

“We all came here to save this country from being taken down a dangerous path of destruction. We don’t sacrifice time with our families to come to Washington to fight over the small things,” Scalise wrote.

DEVELOPING.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4238432-scalise-enters-speakers-race/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Scalise enters Speaker’s race
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 06:18:07 pm »
I like Scalise...I guess he feels he is up to doing this job...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 06:34:21 pm »
If he gets the job, it has to be with no promises or side deals made to anyone to secure their votes.

No promises of 12 separate bills, or no CR, or promises about Ukraine...none of it.  Just a "promise" to do the job to the best of his ability.

Have to cut the puppet strings off the Speaker, or don't elect one at all.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 06:44:46 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 06:50:39 pm »
I like Scalise...I guess he feels he is up to doing this job...

I haven't really followed his career to make a determination yet.  My concerns are the 2A, fiscal responsibility and the border.  I haven't looked up his actual voting record.  Here's his stance on specific issues:

https://www.ontheissues.org/house/Steve_Scalise.htm

https://scalise.house.gov/issues
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 06:55:36 pm »
If he gets the job, it has to be with no promises or side deals made to anyone to secure their votes.

No promises of 12 separate bills, or no CR, or promises about Ukraine...none of it.  Just a "promise" to do the job to the best of his ability.

Have to cut the puppet strings off the Speaker, or don't elect one at all.

So back to business as usual. Hell no!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 07:00:15 pm »
So back to business as usual. Hell no!

What specific promises to you think a prospective Speaker should be required to make to get support from conservatives?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 07:01:28 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 07:03:17 pm »
What specific promises to you think a prospective Speaker should be required to make?

Back to regular order on everything! No more omnibus anything. No more CRs.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 11:26:45 pm »
Health Concerns Cloud Scalise’s Efforts to Ascend Speakership

Multiple House Republicans are concerned about House Majority Leader Steve Scalise’s (R-LA) health status while he runs for speaker, while Scalise’s team contends he is more than ready to meet the challenges of being the leader of the House.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/04/health-concerns-cloud-scalises-efforts-to-ascend-speakership/
Support the USO

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 11:36:06 pm »
Health Concerns Cloud Scalise’s Efforts to Ascend Speakership

Multiple House Republicans are concerned about House Majority Leader Steve Scalise’s (R-LA) health status while he runs for speaker, while Scalise’s team contends he is more than ready to meet the challenges of being the leader of the House.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2023/10/04/health-concerns-cloud-scalises-efforts-to-ascend-speakership/

Heath concerns are only for Republicans.

Feinstein
Biden
Notorious RBG
Festerman
all no problem
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2023, 11:37:23 pm »
This is quite a difference from where we were nine months ago.  We now have two people vying for the Speaker's chair without fear of reprisal.  Contrast that to January where McCarthy as House GOP leader was expected to ascend to Speaker as a rite of passage, and no one in GOP leadership dared stand in his way.  Back in January, there is no way a Jordan or Scalise would challenge McCarthy lest have their political careers ended.  But now they are free to win the hearts and minds of their colleagues and change the direction of government.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2023, 11:37:36 pm »
Back to regular order on everything! No more omnibus anything. No more CRs.

Then say hello to Speaker Jeffries, because there is no way in hell the moderates in the caucus are going to guarantee a long-term shutdown by voting for anyone who promises no CR's.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 11:38:43 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 12:22:43 am »
Then say hello to Speaker Jeffries, because there is no way in hell the moderates in the caucus are going to guarantee a long-term shutdown by voting for anyone who promises no CR's.

We shall see what transpires.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.