Author Topic: A Democrat-turned-independent is now speaker of the Pa. House after a surprise vote  (Read 517 times)

Offline mountaineer

A Democrat-turned-independent is now speaker of the Pa. House after a surprise vote
Pennsylvania House lawmakers elected Rep. Mark Rozzi speaker of the House.
    by Andrew Seidman and Gillian McGoldrick
    Updated an hour ago
HARRISBURG — Democrats and more than a dozen Republicans threw their support behind a consensus candidate for speaker of the Pennsylvania House Tuesday, a move some lawmakers said would help bring unity to the state capital.

House lawmakers elected Rep. Mark Rozzi speaker of the House, elevating a veteran Democratic lawmaker who said Tuesday he would govern as an independent.

The appointment of Rozzi came as a surprise, as the GOP had seemed the odds-on favorite to take the speaker’s gavel. The GOP currently holds a slight majority.

“As many of you know, I’ve never been an ideologue,” Rozzi said on the House floor late Tuesday afternoon. Prior to announcing his party change, he noted that independents are the fastest-growing voting group in the state. He added that he would not caucus with either party. ...
Philadelphia Inquirer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

"Progressive" on twitter is having the predictable meltdown.
Paige Wolf
@paigewolf

The shitshow happening on the U.S. Congressional floor right now honestly pales in comparison to what just happened in #Harrisburg. And the media reports really aren't doing this justice.

I am going to try to break this down for people who don't eat #Pennsylvania politics for breakfast (I have NJ for lunch) - and make sure everyone realizes what a slap in the face this was to the people who WORKED THEIR ASSES OFF to bring home a progressive majority for this state

PA won the House 102-101. However, since three members in safe D districts need to be replaced by special election (one passed away, one moved to Congress, and one moved to LT. Gov), technically Republicans would have the majority opening on the floor today.

Because the will of the people was clear that Democrats would lead the House, Rep. Joanna McClinton was elected Speaker of the House, the first Black woman leader, and sworn in. In addition, Republicans separately swore in their own jar of mayonnaise Bryan Cutler as House Leader.

Both sides argue that the other is invalid and this went to the courts which have not yet deliberated.
In the meantime, Rs were trying to hold off Special Elections to fill these D vacancies for as long as possible. While Democrats were trying to get them scheduled ASAP

The Republican strategy was to hold off the inevitable majority as long as they could so they could try to ram through a veto-proof anti-abortion amendment. Following so far?  ...  But apparently, unbeknownst to anyone, a few Republicans were cutting a back door deal with a moderate D named Mark Rozzi from Berks County. ...

They handed Rep. Rozzi the gavel and he immediately took the stage to say..."SIKE!!!!! I'm Not a Democrat Anymore Bitches - and I Won't Caucus With Them Either!"
And this is how Pennsylvania Democrats were tricked out of their hard-fought and won House Majority in 2023.  ...
:laugh:
Yes, she spelled it, "sike."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org