Author Topic: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote  (Read 11784 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: House Speaker Vote Live Thread #congress #speaker #house #vote
« Reply #325 on: January 04, 2023, 05:56:28 pm »
So far holding service 13 of 13.

Looks like a repeat so far of Round 3.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #326 on: January 04, 2023, 05:56:30 pm »
I believe that all that is required is a majority of those present and voting.  Source:  https://www.kcra.com/article/house-speaker-election-explained/42379373

I posted the current house rules above @Kamaji with a link. A majority of members-elect is 218 by my reckoning.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #327 on: January 04, 2023, 05:58:32 pm »
C-Span has plastered on its screen McCarthy doesn't have the votes. Not sure if the 351 registration was correct.  I sure don't see 80 empty seats.

Me either and roughtly halfway thru the alphabet we had over 200 votes cast, so the 351 count was either preliminary or bogus.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2023, 05:59:48 pm »
I posted the current house rules above @Kamaji with a link. A majority of members-elect is 218 by my reckoning.

The rules appear to require only that there be a majority of the votes cast; not a majority of all the members-elect (i.e., including those who are not present and/or who do not vote).

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2023, 06:04:12 pm »
The rules appear to require only that there be a majority of the votes cast; not a majority of all the members-elect (i.e., including those who are not present and/or who do not vote).

Here is what it says copied directly from the source I cited:

Under the modern practice, the Speaker is elected by a majority of
  Members-elect voting by surname, a quorum being present. Manual
  Sec. 27; 1 Hinds Sec. 216; 6 Cannon Sec. 24. The Clerk appoints
  tellers for this election. However, the House, and not the Clerk,
  decides by what method it shall elect. 1 Hinds Sec. 210. For former
  practices relating to the election of the Speaker, see Manual Sec. 27;
  1 Hinds Sec. Sec. 212, 214, 218; 8 Cannon Sec. 3883.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #330 on: January 04, 2023, 06:04:18 pm »
For those who want to keep tally of vote defection, here are the 20...

Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ)
Rep. Dan Bishop (R-NC)
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO)
Rep. Josh Breechen (R-OK)
Rep. Michael Cloud (R-TX)
Rep. Andrew Clyde (R-GA)
Rep. Eli Crane (R-AZ)
Rep. Byron Donalds (R-FL)
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL)
Rep. Bob Good (R-VA)
Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ)
Rep. Andy Harris (R-MD
Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-FL)
Rep. Mary Miller (R-IL)
Rep. Ralph Norman (R-SC)
Rep. Andy Ogles (R-TN)
Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA)
Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-MT)
Rep. Chip Roy (R-TX)
Rep. Keith Self (R-TX)

18/18 so far holding.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #331 on: January 04, 2023, 06:06:38 pm »
I may have been talking out my butt, we're at the 'P's and only about 300 votes cast. So will find out if it's quorum or total members here pretty quick.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2023, 06:07:44 pm »
Obviously, McCarthy took the arrogance route, and didn't conference leadership and  "20" for resolution of this dumpster fire.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #333 on: January 04, 2023, 06:08:08 pm »
For those who want to keep tally of vote defection, here are the 20...

. . .
Rep. Andrew Clyde (R-GA)
. . .

Wish that guy was my Rep.  I am stuck with an Establishment POS who was already tossed out in 2018 for being an Establishment POS, but convinced the POS State GOP to draw him up a new district that was more heavily Republican, just so he could sit on his ass and do nothing for the rest of the decade.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #334 on: January 04, 2023, 06:09:43 pm »
Obviously, McCarthy took the arrogance route, and didn't conference leadership and  "20" for resolution of this dumpster fire.

Yep.  He'll have no problem cutting deals with the Dems.  But he cannot bring himself to work with Conservatives.  Go figure.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2023, 06:15:22 pm »
Yep.  He'll have no problem cutting deals with the Dems.  But he cannot bring himself to work with Conservatives.  Go figure.

See MTG getting chummy with McCarthy?   Remember that the next time she claims to be a super-conservative.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2023, 06:17:02 pm »
See MTG getting chummy with McCarthy?   Remember that the next time she claims to be a super-conservative.

Duly noted.  She is catching hell right now in her district.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #337 on: January 04, 2023, 06:18:38 pm »
McCarthy down in flames again. The no McCarthy block held. 434 votes total, looks like a full house, wasn't sure for a minute.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #338 on: January 04, 2023, 06:20:16 pm »
One less vote this time for McCarthy...  1 (R) voted Present.  Anyone have details of what this is about?

Victoria Sparks- Indiana
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 06:23:32 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #339 on: January 04, 2023, 06:20:59 pm »
Heard Donalds speak on Fox this a.m. Dude was layin' it down.

Let's see if this breaks McCarthy's back or not.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #340 on: January 04, 2023, 06:21:56 pm »
Wish I could hear what Gaetz is telling his crowd.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #341 on: January 04, 2023, 06:33:59 pm »
and so much for Trump's influence on this matter.

Hope he gets used to being ignored.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 06:45:54 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #342 on: January 04, 2023, 06:38:57 pm »
Wish I could hear what Gaetz is telling his crowd.

I’ve been watching Cspan stream and wishing I could read lips.  I clearly saw one man emphatically say, “This is Bullshit!” Lol
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #343 on: January 04, 2023, 06:39:17 pm »
and so much for Trump's influence on this matter.

Hope gets used to being ignored.

The one positive here is the entertainment value of hearing Trump zealots defend the Swamp.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #346 on: January 04, 2023, 06:44:32 pm »

Bo Snerdley
@BoSnerdley
·
I am not "against" Kevin McCarty.

I am FOR someone who has an unblemished record of walking the conservative walk - all the time. Not when it is just politically expedient.

Exactly.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #347 on: January 04, 2023, 06:44:44 pm »
Seeing dozens of tweets that are saying McCarthy is brokering a deal with the dims.

I guess we are beat if he pulls that off.

Offline BellyAche

« Reply #348 on: January 04, 2023, 06:44:53 pm »
What a circus!

Time for lunch?

A take on "Groundhogs Day" the movie.

Now folks are speaking at the podium again...

*****rollingeyes*****

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #349 on: January 04, 2023, 06:45:00 pm »
Kevin McCarthy was a member of the GOP House leadership when the GOP lost the House in 2018.

Kevin McCarthy was a member of the GOP House leadership that under-performed when GOP had House majority Jan 2017 - Jan 2019.

////00000////

Kevin McCarthy may be the one who made John Bohen cry so much.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.