Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy’s fate on the line, House conservatives warn speaker’s election could take days  (Read 10669 times)

Online Hoodat

Kevin McCarthy lacks the political intelligence, charisma, and savvy to be Speaker.

I bet Pelosi could take him if they put the gloves on.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I bet Pelosi could take him if they put the gloves on.

She's got so much Botox, she wouldn't  feel it he landed a blow.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Mesaclone

McCarthy has now lost FIVE votes. He can't get it done, time to step off.

He'll lose 50. Or a hundred. As many as it takes. No 15-20 people get to control the whole caucus, that's a precedent that can never be allowed.

But this isn't on him, its on the tiny number of morons who want to tell the other 200 members of the caucus who they can't vote for.

We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online Hoodat

He'll lose 50. Or a hundred. As many as it takes. No 15-20 people get to control the whole caucus, that's a precedent that can never be allowed.

But it is OK for 1 person (with ZERO chance of winning) to control the whole caucus by refusing to step aside.

Got it.  15-20 people?  Not OK.  One person?  OK.

But this isn't on him, its on the tiny number of morons who want to tell the other 200 members of the caucus who they can't vote for.

Bullshit.  Not one of the 21 are telling the other 201 who they can't vote for.  Not a single one.  The bottom line here is that McCarthy does not have the votes to become Speaker.  So he can continue his tantrum by demanding more votes.  Or he can step aside, call off his threats, and allow his Party to choose someone else.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Well then maybe McCarthy should end it by withdrawing his name from consideration instead of repeating the same vote over and over without offering anything different.

Good grief, it isn't that difficult.  Just give the Conservatives something here to ensure that this won't be two more years of Paul Ryan.

I'm feeling like this is all just a preview of the inevitable trainwreck when the former President and a bunch of his supporters refuse to support whomever else may win the 2024 GOP primary.  "We may not have had the votes to win, but we have enough to make sure the guy who did regrets it."

Online Hoodat

The former President and a bunch of his supporters are the ones backing McCarthy here.  Just sayin'.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline berdie

I tried to find the answer to my question prior to asking here...to no satisfactory result.

I realize no one is sworn in at this time. But, how many members are there in the Freedom Caucus today, that we know of? I'm curious if the FC has split.

If there are only 20 members it could be they need to grow their caucus to a much longer number. Although this "stand" they are making may/may not be great...they are outnumbered and may need to use different tactics. It seems to me that the other 200 plus members aren't budging either.

Online DB

You do know that the constitution was structured so that the minority doesn't get run over by the majority. They put many roadblocks in place on purpose to slow things down and try to prevent the tyranny of the majority.

Offline EdinVA

You do know that the constitution was structured so that the minority doesn't get run over by the majority. They put many roadblocks in place on purpose to slow things down and try to prevent the tyranny of the majority.
:yowsa:   And it is time these political hacks remember it...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Rep. Ken Buck says 'at some point' McCarthy needs to step aside in speaker race

Rep. Ken Buck (R-CO), who has voted for Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) on every ballot in the House speaker election, said the time is approaching for the Republican conference to make a decision on whom to elect.

Buck told CNN on Wednesday afternoon that tensions are running high among GOP lawmakers and that further conflict is brewing as factions may make good on their threats as the election approaches the sixth ballot. Some centrist Republicans have floated the possibility of working with Democrats to appoint a unifying candidate if McCarthy can't win..

https://www.mediaite.com/news/this-is-insulting-ex-trump-spox-blasts-white-republicans-for-using-black-republicans-as-shields-after-byron-donalds-nom/

What say you, Gaetz?   Don't clam up now, jackass.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:59:52 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Hoodat

If there are only 20 members it could be they need to grow their caucus to a much longer number. Although this "stand" they are making may/may not be great...they are outnumbered and may need to use different tactics. It seems to me that the other 200 plus members aren't budging either.

The other 200 aren't budging because they know there will be severe retaliation against them if they go on record opposing McCarthy with McCarthy eventually winning.  Take McCarthy out of the picture, and you will see who GOP Reps really support.  Some will back Scalise because they are comfortable with the Establishment.  But you will have other supporting someone different because they are sick of living under the current system.  But as for now, they continue to hedge their bets by backing McCarthy even though he has little chance of winning.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

But it is OK for 1 person (with ZERO chance of winning) to control the whole caucus by refusing to step aside.

Got it.  15-20 people?  Not OK.  One person?  OK

Except it really isn't just one.  It's also those among McCarthy's backers who will refuse to vote for anyone but McCarthy - likely significantly more than on the conservative end.

Then you have to consider another faction of those so pissed at the minority holding the Speakership hostage that they'd sooner see someone outside the conference win than knuckle under.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

The requirement for Speakership is half the votes plus 1. If he is not able to provide the leadership to earn those votes, then step aside for someone who can.
The Republic is lost.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
IMO, the political climate is ripe for a breakaway from BOTH parties.

A major Third-party would siphon so much 'blood', they both would bleed out.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I'm guessing the Gang of Five won't see the inside of a committee room during this Congress --- no one, except the Democrats, like what they're orchestrating or the position it's put them in.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

The requirement for Speakership is half the votes plus 1. If he is not able to provide the leadership to earn those votes, then step aside for someone who can.

And what if nobody else can because there are other factions unwilling to switch?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
And what if nobody else can because there are other factions unwilling to switch?

Then I guess McCarthy needs to get some Rat votes.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

Only one way to find out.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

How about we wait and see what happens instead? This has only been going on for two days. Hardly an earth shattering delay.

Online Hoodat

I'm guessing the Gang of Five won't see the inside of a committee room during this Congress ---

This right here is what is wrong with Washington.  This right here is why Kevin McCarthy cannot be allowed to be Speaker.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline berdie

The other 200 aren't budging because they know there will be severe retaliation against them if they go on record opposing McCarthy with McCarthy eventually winning.  Take McCarthy out of the picture, and you will see who GOP Reps really support.  Some will back Scalise because they are comfortable with the Establishment.  But you will have other supporting someone different because they are sick of living under the current system.  But as for now, they continue to hedge their bets by backing McCarthy even though he has little chance of winning.

I admit that I am naive in the ways politics work. But if McCarthy has little chance of winning, maybe it would be wiser for the 200+ to peel off now and support someone else? Or would that increase Jefferies chances?

Offline Mesaclone

The constitution has no bearing on the Party caucus rules...which are quite simple. Majority....especially a massive super majority of 202-20...rules.

Offline Mesaclone

Well...the only other candidates nominated got, at most, 19 votes...so I'd say there IS no other person for him to step aside for.

Offline Mesaclone

Got it.  15-20 people?  Not OK.  One person?  OK.

Bullshit.  Not one of the 21 are telling the other 201 who they can't vote for.  Not a single one.  The bottom line here is that McCarthy does not have the votes to become Speaker.  So he can continue his tantrum by demanding more votes.  Or he can step aside, call off his threats, and allow his Party to choose someone else.

The other 202 Republicans HAVE chosen who they want for Speaker. Why should 19 morons get to override that?

Online Hoodat

I admit that I am naive in the ways politics work. But if McCarthy has little chance of winning, maybe it would be wiser for the 200+ to peel off now and support someone else? Or would that increase Jefferies chances?

No, that would not increase Jeffries' chances.  But the 200 won't peel off as long as there is a possibility that McCarthy becomes Speaker, especially after his Democrat-esque tirades about his willingness to abuse his political power to settle scores against his fellow Republicans.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-