Briefing Room Polls (Guests Welcome!) > The Briefingroom Polls

Will McCarthy be voted in as Majority Leader?

<< < (8/8)

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: Right_in_Virginia on January 03, 2023, 01:29:53 am --- You said you're tired of "milquetoast" leaders---- aka timid or feeble people.   Did you mean something else?

--- End quote ---

Those words describe what we are being served up as "conservative."

corbe:
McCarthy struggles to win support for Speaker with hours until floor showdown

BY EMILY BROOKS - 01/02/23 6:43 PM ET

With less than 24 hours before the House is set to vote on a Speaker, Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has yet to lock up the votes to secure the gavel.

McCarthy has made some late concessions and overtures to the right flank that weaken his own power and aim to address its requests to take a more aggressive stance against Democrats and the Biden administration.

But those who have declared opposition to him are not wavering, and critics who have not declared how they intend to vote are showing signs of stronger resistance to McCarthy rather than support for him.

“The fact that we are now approaching the eleventh hour is not the fault, or is not the responsibility, of his detractors. It’s his responsibility, and the blame lies with him,” House Freedom Caucus Chairman Scott Perry (R-Pa.), who has not said how he plans to vote on the floor, told The Hill on Sunday.

Additionally, the Club for Growth, an influential conservative group, is urging opposition to a Speaker candidate who does not make other concessions — measures that McCarthy is unlikely to support.

With 222 incoming Republicans to 212 Democrats, McCarthy can afford to lose only four GOP votes if every member votes for a Speaker candidate.

Despite the uncertainty, McCarthy has started moving into the Speaker’s office in the Capitol that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) moved out of over the holidays.

But there is no name plate, yet, above the entrance to the Speaker’s suite.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3795829-mccarthy-struggles-to-win-support-for-speaker-with-hours-until-floor-showdown/

catfish1957:
After today, I think we need a weed option.......

Texas Yellow Rose:

--- Quote from: corbe on January 02, 2023, 10:29:47 pm ---   

IMHO, GOP House leadership has been a Failure since even before they ran the Hammer out.

888high58888

--- End quote ---

jafo2010:
Trump endorsing McCarthy, a rat dwelling member of the swamp says what exactly?

Trump keeps digging a deeper hole for himself.  He is done politically.  With all the systems folks I know, they feel betrayed when he INCREASED the H1-b Visa Program to humor the jackals that spent billions to deep six him.  The irony is so think you could cut it with a knife.

FAUCI AND COLLINS HAVE TO ANSWER FOR THE MASS GENOCIDE WITH COVID.  SO TOO DO TRUMP AND BIDEN.

The USA as a nation is finished as a republic.  With fixed elections, the republic is dead.  What we are left with is the carcass, and the bones will be picked soon enough.  Our permanent financial collapse is not that far off.  Congress is utterly clueless, or otherwise they would be listening to the holdouts, and they are pressuring them to capitulate.  The form of gridlock is them not having the ability to do anything.  I love gridlock, and there was a day I thought I would never say that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version