Author Topic: Home Insulation Makes Little Difference To Energy Consumption–New Study  (Read 133 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Home Insulation Makes Little Difference To Energy Consumption–New Study
JANUARY 1, 2023
tags: insulation
By Paul Homewood

h/t Ray Sanders

An unusually frank piece from the Guardian!!

Conservatories and house extensions could be helping to wipe out the reductions in gas use secured by insulating homes, according to a study that found insulation only provides a short-term fall in energy consumption.

In a surprise finding, the study into the long-term effect of loft and cavity wall insulation in England and Wales showed that the fall in gas consumption for each household was small, with all energy savings disappearing by the fourth year after it had been fitted.

Policy experts at the University of Cambridge said the findings suggested a “rebound effect” in energy use, where changing behaviour cancelled out the reductions in gas use. They also suggested that fitting insulation often happened alongside the building of house extensions, which use extra energy. For households with conservatories, any gains in energy efficiency disappeared after the first year.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2023/01/01/home-insulation-makes-little-difference-to-energy-consumption-new-study/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson