Author Topic: Stocks are having their worst year since 2008. Bonds are even worse  (Read 756 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/30/investing/dow-stock-market-2022

<snipit>

New York
CNN
 —
Wall Street is bidding goodbye – and good riddance – to 2022. It has been a year most investors would rather forget.

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a snarled supply chain and another year of Covid turned markets on their head this year. Inflation surged around the globe and central banks hiked rates at a historic pace to keep price hikes from spiraling out of control. China, the world’s second-largest economy, periodically shut down entire cities to contain the pandemic. Energy supplies were cut off, but recession fears send demand falling in the second half of the year anyway. Intense storms and climate change upended markets, too.

That left few safe places for investors to park their money this year.

The Dow fell 152 points, or 0.5% Friday, the last trading day of the year. Over the course of the year, the Dow has fallen over 9%, its worst year since 2008.

The S&P 500 was 0.7% lower Friday, leaving it down 19.9% for the year.

The Nasdaq Composite Index was down 1% Friday, close to its lowest level since July 2020. The tech-heavy index has been battered this year, falling 34%.

Stocks had a miserable year, but bonds fared even worse. Inflation, massive rate hikes and a super-strong dollar left bonds unattractive to investors.

=================================================================================
Even his lackeys at CNN can't hide the fact that Pedo Joe is taking us over the financial cliff.  And just think insider sentiment going into '23 is that '23 will be even more bearish.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Stocks are having their worst year since 2008. Bonds are even worse
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 05:33:55 pm »
And I personally don't think we've seen anything yet!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 05:39:50 pm »
The inevitable consequence of a bubble.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 05:44:31 pm »
And I personally don't think we've seen anything yet!

Agree 100%.  It's not a question of if, but when.  A $32T federal government deficit hole , and rapidly accelerating increases just doesn't sustain a 33K DJIA in any sane world.

I personally think the bottom falls out at and soon after the first major international decoupling of  COMEX from $USD

When the $USD is no longer the reference currency, we'll crash to 3rd world status in no time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 05:45:05 pm »
The inevitable consequence of a bubble.

:yowsa: And the landing will be a hard one!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 08:46:42 pm »
It's odd. The old, usual conventional wisdom said...Have a mix of stocks and bonds. The bonds will increase in value if stocks go down.

Not so in this instance.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 10:12:48 pm »
Would have been a great campaign issue for Republicans to run on.  Oh well.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2022, 03:37:54 pm »
John Hasson
@SonofHas
13 months apart

9:19 AM · Dec 31, 2022
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2022, 06:12:26 pm »
I've tracked year my investments for year end performance since 1982. 

2022 was only the second year I have been down since '82. 

'09 was the only other year, when I was down 6.17% for the Obama crash.

'22 was only the second time...  down 1.12%

Incredbily bad, in light of what I feel was absolute 10+% inflation for the year.  Pedo Joe, this is all on you.