Author Topic: Idaho murders: Suspect in custody in killings of 4 university students, law enforcement source says  (Read 6000 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Pete you say insane, but I'm loath to use that term because it offers an excuse for what he did, No I'm not saying you are making excuses for him, I think this SOB is just flat out EVIL and don't accept any excuses like 'he was bullied' or 'he was insane'. My opinion is that just like a rabid dog this POS needs to be put down, I sincerely hope he hasn't bred **nononono*

@GtHawk

Well,what happens to an insane dog?

Answer: "It gets put down."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
He wasn't insane.  He just lacked morals and a conscience.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Pretty much sounds like a prescription for insanity to me. Sane people are in possession of both.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj. Bill Martin

Pretty much sounds like a prescription for insanity to me. Sane people are in possession of both.

As long as the perpetrator knows that the rest of society considers the act to be morally wrong and illegal, he was aware of the consequences of his actions and did them anyway.  Not insane.  Just a complete a-hole.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As long as the perpetrator knows that the rest of society considers the act to be morally wrong and illegal, he was aware of the consequences of his actions and did them anyway.  Not insane.  Just a complete a-hole.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Even you write in the post above this that he has no conscience.

If not having a conscience doesn't make you insane,neither does barking at passing cars.

Seems to ME that not having a conscience is one of the most basic requirements for being insane.

After all,sane people understand the difference between right and wrong,even if they don't always do what is right. They make a CONSCIOUS decision to do something wrong.

Someone that is insane doesn't even understand the concept of "wrong".

Offline berdie

It is weird to think, hard to comprehend, hard to think about.
It is my opinion that this whole thing was just an 'experiment' in his doctoral thesis.

He wanted to know, to feel, he wanted blood on his own hands, to write what it is like.

I have thought about this post for a couple of days.

I think, sadly, you could be right.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Maj. Bill Martin

Even you write in the post above this that he has no conscience.

If not having a conscience doesn't make you insane,neither does barking at passing cars.

Seems to ME that not having a conscience is one of the most basic requirements for being insane.

After all,sane people understand the difference between right and wrong,even if they don't always do what is right. They make a CONSCIOUS decision to do something wrong.

Someone that is insane doesn't even understand the concept of "wrong".

Actually, most psychopaths/sociopaths understand the concept quite well, at least on an intellectual level.  They just believe they personally are "above" it.

If they didn't understand the difference, they wouldn't bother taking any steps to conceal their commission of the crime.  In fact, that's usually one of the things that kills an attempt at an insanity plea.  If you took steps to hide your identify/not be discovered, then you knew it was wrong/against the law, and insanity is not a defense.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Actually, most psychopaths/sociopaths understand the concept quite well, at least on an intellectual level.  They just believe they personally are "above" it.

@Maj. Bill Martin

I pretty much agree on that one. Being a narcist certainly adds to mental instability even though many (most? all?) narcissists have high IQ's. They just think that the laws don't apply to them,or that they are smart enough to beat any rap in court. 

If they didn't understand the difference, they wouldn't bother taking any steps to conceal their commission of the crime.  In fact, that's usually one of the things that kills an attempt at an insanity plea.  If you took steps to hide your identify/not be discovered, then you knew it was wrong/against the law, and insanity is not a defense.

True dat!

Mostly.  I suspect the majority of them that aren't barking and chasing mail trucks think they are too smart to get caught,and that if they DO get caught,they are smart enough to beat the rap.

Modesty just ain't a part of their makeup.

BTW,the actor that played the loon in "Silence of the Lambs" was maybe just a little bit TOO good in his portrayal. Anyway,that was one HELL of a good movie.

BTW,just remembered his name. It was Anthony Hopkins,and he blew it out of the water.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:51:12 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Kamaji

With psychopaths, I believe it's the case that they understand the concept of a conscience intellectually - that there are things that one should, and should not, do to other persons - they just don't have the underlying mechanism to make them feel the internal compulsion to follow that conscience.

I guess some of them do express it as feeling "above" the dictates of a conscience, but it is more the case that they simply don't have the underlying gut sense that makes it "feel" wrong to do something that one knows is wrong.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Here is an article that discusses psychopaths, sociopaths and the insanity defense.
 https://law.jrank.org/pages/7670/Insanity-Defense-Psychopaths-Sociopaths.html

Offline Kamaji

Here is an article that discusses psychopaths, sociopaths and the insanity defense.
 https://law.jrank.org/pages/7670/Insanity-Defense-Psychopaths-Sociopaths.html

Yup.  That accords with my basic understanding of the matter.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger made ‘every mistake’ a murderer could make, former FBI investigator says
Story by Kayla Bailey • Yesterday 2:35 PM

It's been two months since four college students were brutally murdered in Moscow, Idaho— and, with all eyes on Bryan Kohberger, crime experts are making known the suspect's glaringly obvious missteps.

Mark Fuhrman: We are where we are thanks to this Idaho witness

Fox Nation's Mark Fuhrman was joined by law enforcement experts to unpack the case that shocked the nation in "Moscow Murders: Convicting a Killer," a new Fox Nation special that breaks down the tragic timeline of the Idaho murders while spotlighting the major mistakes made by the murder suspect.

"He made every mistake you could make. He was connected to the vehicle. He left his DNA. He left his murder weapon sheath. A witness saw him. He didn't eliminate the witness. He got in over his head. He killed more victims than he thought. And he stalked them, and it was printed all over his cell phone. And that's just what we know," former FBI investigator Bill Daly argued to crime scene expert Mark Fuhrman.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/idaho-murders-suspect-bryan-kohberger-made-every-mistake-a-murderer-could-make-former-fbi-investigator-says/ar-AA16efAd?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=171082bf02fd48cbbe2196508c23d7aa
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline verga

I guess they don't Ph.D. Candidates like they used to.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I guess they don't Ph.D. Candidates like they used to.
The professors are likely Democrats.

Democrats don't get prosecuted very often, so their skill set for avoiding arrest and conviction may be a mite rusty.

If the professors are Conservatives, would they really teach likely leftist students how to not leave evidence.

Face it, the guy would have been likely better served streaming a season of Dexter.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

The professors are likely Democrats.

Democrats don't get prosecuted very often, so their skill set for avoiding arrest and conviction may be a mite rusty.

If the professors are Conservatives, would they really teach likely leftist students how to not leave evidence.

Face it, the guy would have been likely better served streaming a season of Dexter.
Or the original CSI
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Something was brought to my attention today. A friend showed me how Google tracked him all over the country, and even in town, for the past year, likely using cell phone data. His phone and computer are synched, so that may have something to do with it. It had times and dates and even how long he stopped at places along the way.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

Something was brought to my attention today. A friend showed me how Google tracked him all over the country, and even in town, for the past year, likely using cell phone data. His phone and computer are synched, so that may have something to do with it. It had times and dates and even how long he stopped at places along the way.

Yep.

Law enforcement doesn't like to talk about it much, but most criminals expose their crimes via a smart phone that they just can't live without. Especially crimes that weren't preplanned.

Offline mountaineer

February 2, 2023 4:10pm EST
Inside Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger's unusually long route home to Pennsylvania
The lengthy drive home in December had some questioning whether he was dodging more than snow
By Michael Ruiz | Fox News
EXCLUSIVE: A month after allegedly stabbing four University of Idaho students to death, Bryan Kohberger and his dad set off on a cross-country odyssey in the vehicle of interest, headed home to Pennsylvania from Washington State University.

The 28-year-old criminology Ph.D. student avoided the most direct route, which along Interstates 90 and 94 is a 38-hour drive, according to Google Maps.

Was he trying to confuse authorities, enjoy a "scenic route" or avoid bad weather?

Kohberger and his dad went south down to Loma, Colorado, near I-70, then cut east on a route that took them past Indianapolis along the way, adding at least six hours to a drive that they completed sometime between Dec. 12 and Dec. 16.

Court documents don’t specify exactly when Kohberger left his apartment in Pullman, Washington, about 10 miles from the crime scene. But the documents show his car triggered a license plate reader in Loma on Dec. 13. The route takes the father-and-son duo about 15 hours out of the way. ...

According to that same reporting, however, the Kohbergers were allegedly worried about snow to the north in their 2015 Hyundai Elantra — a small sedan, nearly a decade old, with front-wheel drive. ...

That said, the initial hours of the duo's journey would have been treacherous had they taken the most direct route — with whiteout conditions that covered parts of the Northern Plains and Upper Midwest in feet of snow. ...
Rest of story
If he was going home for the Christmas break, it's kind of curious that he didn't fly. Did his father fly out to eastern Washington to make the drive back to Pa., I wonder.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Accused Idaho murderer Bryan Kohberger may have left knife sheath behind to mislead investigators: expert
By Patrick Reilly   
February 7, 2023 8:01pm Updated

Accused murderer Bryan Kohberger may have deliberately left a knife sheath at the home where four University of Idaho students were found stabbed to death in an attempt to mislead investigators, according to a criminal profiler.

“If you took a pistol out of your holster, wouldn’t you put it back in?” John Kelly, a psychotherapist who has interviewed serial killers, said on Fox News Tuesday. “I don’t know anybody who wouldn’t, and if I went fishing and had to take my knife out, I would put it back in the sheath.”

Kohberger, who was known to be obsessive over his strict vegan diet, likely hid the bloody knife somewhere it could not contaminate his clothes or his car, Kelly said. The murder weapon has still not been found months after the Nov. 13 killings.

“You’re such a clean vegan who’s obsessive-compulsive about what you eat and everything else, just the hygiene of carrying a bloody knife around, wearing it somewhere on your person as you get out of the house,” Kelly said.  ... https://nypost.com/2023/02/07/bryan-kohberger-may-have-left-knife-sheath-to-mislead-investigators-expert/
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I honestly don't care about the details of what this murderer thinks.

I just want to read that he has been put down like the rabid animal he is.