Author Topic: Republicans rethink abortion strategy after bruising midterms  (Read 4235 times)

Online Hoodat

Re: Republicans rethink abortion strategy after bruising midterms
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 07:37:33 pm »
Back to the topic:  Republicans rethink abortion strategy

What exactly is the 'Republican abortion strategy'?  Up until Dobbs, Republicans had advocated that laws regulating abortion should be left to the States per the Constitution.  The Dobbs decision validated the Republican position.  Yet afterwards with Democrats openly advocating for the federalization of abortion laws - a position that they had failed to advance in over half a century even with total control of the Executive and Legislative branches of government - Republicans acted like a scared bunch of bitches, refusing to point out that Democrat States could do whatever they wanted.

There was only one exception.  Some dumbass Senator from South Carolina spoke out in support of the very Federalization that the Democrats supported.

Republicans are cowards and idiots.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 07:37:54 pm »
There are two (2) lives involved here @bilo. The carve out is for three very specific circumstances:  pregnancy through rape, incest or that threatens the physical health of the mother. 

Does not Christian life demand compassion and discernment in all things?  Do not these three specific circumstances qualify under "all things"?

As a Christian who walks by faith I hope and pray that I exhibit fruits of the Spirit. It is why first and foremost I always want to help and support the most innocent and helpless among us. In this case it's obviously the unborn. The phrase "physical health of the mother" is the typical out that pro-abortion advocates use because well intentioned people assume what is meant is the LIFE of the mother. I don't know where you stand on this so until you clarify it I am going to assume you are intending the LIFE of the mother not the other phrase that pro-abortionists use.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 07:41:08 pm »
There is *NO* principle or compassion involved in killing babies. EVER.

Word.

I can understand someone wanting to kill a baby to avoid a financial liability.  But that isn't 'compassion'.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2022, 07:42:18 pm »
@roamer_1

I know you're going back and forth with roamer_1 on this, but he is spot on when he asked "what crime did the baby commit?"

Everyone would agree that it is a very tough situation for the 14 year old girl. In this very rare circumstance we are left with a very hard choice, do we always value life or do we only value life when it's convenient? If it's the latter as you are suggesting shouldn't we just end the life of our relatives when they are struck with dementia and they've become a burden, or how about the child with a painful terminal illness?

No one is advocating for automatic abortion in the case of rape. incest and a threat to the physical health of the mother.  The carve out allows for time ---  time to recover from an attack.  Time to make a decision without the government breathing down the person's neck could usher the one you want ---- and with better outcomes for all involved.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2022, 07:43:10 pm »
How quickly you forget Lindsey Graham's proposal.

That was just part of the play.
The Republic is lost.

Offline bilo

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2022, 07:43:58 pm »
Back to the topic:  Republicans rethink abortion strategy

What exactly is the 'Republican abortion strategy'?  Up until Dobbs, Republicans had advocated that laws regulating abortion should be left to the States per the Constitution.  The Dobbs decision validated the Republican position.  Yet afterwards with Democrats openly advocating for the federalization of abortion laws - a position that they had failed to advance in over half a century even with total control of the Executive and Legislative branches of government - Republicans acted like a scared bunch of bitches, refusing to point out that Democrat States could do whatever they wanted.

There was only one exception.  Some dumbass Senator from South Carolina spoke out in support of the very Federalization that the Democrats supported.

Republicans are cowards and idiots.

They sure did.

Fighting for life is certainly a hill worth dying on.

The flip side to this is the Rats know over time even in States they control people are going to push for limits on abortion. It's why they tried to get amendments passed in various States making abortion legal right up to the moment of birth.

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2022, 07:46:40 pm »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2022, 07:46:46 pm »
You've convinced me you wouldn't know compassion if it bit you in the ass, but what of discernment?  What do you,  oh holy man, say of a 14 year old pregnant through rape?

I will leave it at this: A very good friend of mine was raped as a young girl, and for her the very stars in the sky are hung by the little girl who is the result of that rape.

Her healing came from that child who she loves to the bottom of her soul. Nothing could have possibly healed her more.

So be careful what you call 'compassion'.

It is not compassion to hang the guilt of murder on top of the rape. There is no healing in that. Nor justice. Nor sense.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2022, 07:47:42 pm »
And pregnancies can threaten the physical health and life of the mother.

That word 'mother'.  I think it means something different to you than it does to me.

But if pregnancy is really a threat to "physical health and life", then why is a woman choosing to allow a man to ejaculate inside of her, knowing that it will lead to pregnancy?  Isn't that her deciding to exercise control over her body?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2022, 07:48:43 pm »
No one is advocating for automatic abortion in the case of rape. incest and a threat to the physical health of the mother.  The carve out allows for time ---  time to recover from an attack.  Time to make a decision without the government breathing down the person's neck could usher the one you want ---- and with better outcomes for all involved.

IOW, when it's determined that having the baby would be a burden it's okay to end the innocent life.

We either stand on the principal that life must be protected, or we don't.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2022, 07:52:32 pm »
Does not Christian life demand compassion and discernment in all things?  Do not these three specific circumstances qualify under "all things"?

No.

Thou.Shall.Not.Kill.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2022, 07:57:09 pm »
What law has the victim abused that enables you to judge her to be nothing more than society's incubator?

Victim?  Seriously?  One of the greatest victories of feminism is that women have secured control over their own bodies.  And what decision have women made?  To engage in the very same promiscuous behavior that they criticize men for.

So we aren't talking about victims here.  We are talking about women with full control of their bodies making a fully informed choice to cede access of a part of their body over to a man, allowing that man to ejaculate in side of them.  That is the decision of an empowered and fully informed woman (hear me ROAR), and not some helpless victim.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2022, 07:57:33 pm »
I will leave it at this: A very good friend of mine was raped as a young girl, and for her the very stars in the sky are hung by the little girl who is the result of that rape.

Her healing came from that child who she loves to the bottom of her soul. Nothing could have possibly healed her more.

And THAT, by the way, is worthy of the honor to be called 'mother'.

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2022, 07:59:44 pm »
IOW, when it's determined that having the baby would be a burden it's okay to end the innocent life.

If you advocate that a 14 year old pregnant through rape must give birth by government edict, please don't call it "protecting life".

Online Hoodat

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2022, 08:00:45 pm »
Does not Christian life demand compassion and discernment in all things?

Christian life demands that couples not have sex outside of the marriage covenant.  G-d set up rules for our own wellbeing.  The consequences of breaking one rule are not 'absolved' by breaking a second rule.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2022, 08:02:32 pm »

That's right.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2022, 08:04:55 pm »
If you advocate that a 14 year old pregnant through rape must give birth by government edict, please don't call it "protecting life".

If you advocate that a government edict is needed to allow ALL women to murder their unborn babies as an acceptable form of birth control just because of a 14-year-old rape victim, then don't call it "compassion".

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2022, 08:05:24 pm »
Ever?

EVER.

Now hit me with all the silly exceptions you'd care to throw down... And you will be right back to self defense, defense of others, just cause, and due process... All of which are Biblical. And all of which are also not murder according to our laws.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2022, 08:15:58 pm »
No.

Thou.Shall.Not.Kill.

I am in the Pro-Life Category too.

OTOH, I do also realize that the dims played us like a drum using Dobbs as a wedge issue, and as an explosive GOTV incentive for their side.

Strategically, I have no idea why this landmark judical move couldn't have waited 6 months, and allowed us  to keep he democratic party accountible for there all of their disasters.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2022, 08:21:42 pm »
EVER.

Now hit me with all the silly exceptions you'd care to throw down... And you will be right back to self defense, defense of others, just cause, and due process... All of which are Biblical. And all of which are also not murder according to our laws.

So, not ever.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2022, 08:21:59 pm »
Mark

36 And he took a child and put him in the midst of them, and taking him in his arms, he said to them,

37 “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me, receives not me but him who sent me.”
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2022, 08:22:39 pm »
I am in the Pro-Life Category too.

OTOH, I do also realize that the dims played us like a drum using Dobbs as a wedge issue, and as an explosive GOTV incentive for their side.

Strategically, I have no idea why this landmark judical move couldn't have waited 6 months, and allowed us  to keep he democratic party accountible for there all of their disasters.

Sorry, but I have long ago lost patience with political dynamics... Which are always a disappointment.

Philosophy, fine. Morality, fine. Logic, fine... Political expediencies are always about Lucy and Footballs. Not my thing anymore.  :shrug:

Offline bilo

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2022, 08:24:38 pm »

You may not like it, but that's exactly what it is. The life of the unborn baby is being protected.