Author Topic: Republicans rethink abortion strategy after bruising midterms  (Read 4238 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans rethink abortion strategy after bruising midterms
« on: December 29, 2022, 08:16:54 pm »
 Republicans rethink abortion strategy after bruising midterms
by Julia Manchester - 12/29/22 6:00 AM ET

Republicans are recalibrating their messaging on abortion after Democrats successfully used the issue to galvanize their base and win over swing voters in 2022.

While the GOP largely focused on the three-pronged message of combatting rising inflation, crime, and the flow of migrants over the southern border, exit polls showed that abortion was a top priority for voters at the ballot box.

Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel has attributed some of the party’s losses to candidates ignoring the issue.

“It was probably a bigger factor than a lot of people thought,” McDaniel said in an interview earlier this month with radio talk show host John Catsimatidis. “We’ve got to get conversant on that.”

“We can’t just do an ostrich method and pretend that it doesn’t exist when Democrats are spending $30 million on that message.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3786449-republicans-rethink-abortion-strategy-after-bruising-midterms/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 08:17:51 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Re: Republicans rethink abortion strategy after bruising midterms
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 09:27:26 pm »
While the GOP largely focused on the three-pronged message of combatting rising inflation, crime, and the flow of migrants over the southern border, exit polls showed that abortion was a top priority for voters at the ballot box.

Nonsense on all counts.  Abortion was not a top priority for voters at the ballot box.  And the only message that Republicans offered was that nothing was their fault because the Democrats were in charge.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 09:53:25 pm »
Nonsense on all counts.  Abortion was not a top priority for voters at the ballot box.  And the only message that Republicans offered was that nothing was their fault because the Democrats were in charge.

I'm not so sure that abortion wasn't an issue. I think it may have brought out a lot of the young vote.

The economy, border security, etc. should have been the top issues but didn't seem to be. Ignorance? Thinking it won't affect them? I don't know. The Pubs solutions just weren't popular. We are, sadly headed to a more liberal society. jmho

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 04:09:13 am »
Nonsense on all counts. Abortion was not a top priority for voters at the ballot box.  And the only message that Republicans offered was that nothing was their fault because the Democrats were in charge.

Even if it was I would say it's a safe bet that all the babies that were not aborted because of the SCOTUS ruling are happy to have the chance to live.

If there are any Pubs of real faith, they should be shouting at the top of their lungs that life is a gift from GOD and destruction of the unborn is a selfish cruel act of a narcistic self destructive person. It is not a health care decision. It is an act of a lost soul and has become a sacrament for those who think they are their own gods.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 04:46:55 am »
Shifting to the LEFT again?

Like I said long ago, I didn't leave the GOP, it left me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 05:12:57 am »
Shifting to the LEFT again?

Like I said long ago, I didn't leave the GOP, it left me.

That's right.
They ain't got a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of as far as I am concerned.
But somehow I am supposed to vote for them anyhow because they are not democrats, kinda.  **nononono*

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 06:41:29 am »
If there are any Pubs of real faith, they should be shouting at the top of their lungs that life is a gift from GOD and destruction of the unborn is a selfish cruel act of a narcistic self destructive person. It is not a health care decision. It is an act of a lost soul and has become a sacrament for those who think they are their own gods.

A fetal heartbeat can be detected as early as seven weeks.  Many women aren't sure of pregnancy, especially younger victims of rape and incest who may be afraid to speak of either attack.

And pregnancies can threaten the physical health and life of the mother.  Even Christian theologians give the mother the right to life in these circumstances.

Would an exception to the Fetal Heartbeat laws truly be an abomination in the case of rape, incest and threat to the mother?   Is it justfied to overrule the spirit of Christian life for earthly political principles?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 06:47:11 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 07:39:58 am »
A fetal heartbeat can be detected as early as seven weeks.  Many women aren't sure of pregnancy, especially younger victims of rape and incest who may be afraid to speak of either attack.

And pregnancies can threaten the physical health and life of the mother.  Even Christian theologians give the mother the right to life in these circumstances.

Would an exception to the Fetal Heartbeat laws truly be an abomination in the case of rape, incest and threat to the mother?   Is it justfied to overrule the spirit of Christian life for earthly political principles?

What law has the child of rape abused that enables the state to take his life?

And what's to stop doctors from rubber-stamping 'life of the mother', even as they did under Reagan's law in California?

The bare exception really proves the rule: There is no 'justification' that allows a mother to kill her baby.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 03:17:54 pm »
What law has the child of rape abused that enables the state to take his life?

What law has the victim abused that enables you to judge her to be nothing more than society's incubator? 

And what's to stop doctors from rubber-stamping 'life of the mother', even as they did under Reagan's law in California?           

Nothing.    But, in your worldview it is better to let one mother die than 10 guilty off the hook.  Principled conservatism at its most revealing.

I hope you don't think you have the moral high ground here.  All you have done is chosen to destroy the existing life. 

Maybe it's time to start leveling consequences on the fathers ---- not just in the case of rape or incest  ---- but all unplanned pregnancies.  Executing the sperm donor might just put an end to the whole abortion conundrum for once and for all.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 03:44:08 pm »
What law has the victim abused that enables you to judge her to be nothing more than society's incubator?

Nothing more? That's a bit hysterical. 9 months and an adoption agency is not such a burden when judged against taking the life of an innocent.

But that's a bit beside the point. The point as I have said before, is that the government has no way to sanction death except two:  Just cause (war), or due process. Obviously, the child has no connection to war, so you must have some criminal act to levy against the child, and a method of due process.

Otherwise, this government at every level must protect life as the first of the enumerated rights its establishment defined. There simply is no recourse...

Nothing.    But, in your worldview it is better to let one mother die than 10 guilty off the hook.  Principled conservatism at its most revealing.

I said no such thing.  The point is that there can be no quarter since that quarter, already granted, has been grievously abused. Obvious physical malady that would take both the woman and the child has never been the question - That is specifically what Reagan's law meant to reasonably cure. It is the abuse thereof that is the problem.

I hope you don't think you have the moral high ground here.  All you have done is chosen to destroy the existing life.

I have done no such thing. And BOTH lives are 'existing'.

Maybe it's time to start leveling consequences on the fathers ---- not just in the case of rape or incest

In the case of real, bonafide rape or incest, I will happily pull the trigger myself, as any real man would.

---- but all unplanned pregnancies.  Executing the sperm donor might just put an end to the whole abortion conundrum for once and for all.

Naw. The price for that historically has been marriage... And that's what it should be now.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 03:45:24 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 04:06:29 pm »
Threads like this have a way of bringing out the hidden Choicers.   888mouth
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 04:27:00 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 04:43:43 pm »
The only 'abortion strategy' the GOP had was the media saying they had an abortion strategy. Total MacGuffin.
The Republic is lost.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 04:51:04 pm »
Might not be a popular opinion, but I said Day 1 here that Dobbs would be the best Christmas GOTV gift the dims got during the midterms.

Thnk about it.  99% of all dim campaign ads focused on it, allowing deflection from the Biden disaster.

If SCOTUS had just waited until now, Congress would likely look much different.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 04:53:04 pm »
Might not be a popular opinion, but I said Day 1 here that Dobbs would be the best Christmas GOTV gift the dims got during the midterms.

Thnk about it.  99% of all dim campaign ads focused on it, allowing deflection from the Biden disaster.

If SCOTUS had just waited until now, Congress would likely look much different.

Probably true.  It gave the Rats an opportunity to demagogue the issue, as they always do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2022, 06:41:55 pm »
Threads like this have a way of bringing out the hidden Choicers.   888mouth

Threads like this have a way of exposing those who have had compassion and discernment principled right out of them @Cyber Liberty   Someone without either is often a self-righteous bully.

But, at least these threads have a way of explaining why the majority would rather spit on a Republican than vote for the candidate.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2022, 06:44:00 pm »
The only 'abortion strategy' the GOP had was the media saying they had an abortion strategy. Total MacGuffin.

How quickly you forget Lindsey Graham's proposal.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2022, 06:51:45 pm »
Threads like this have a way of exposing those who have had compassion and discernment principled right out of them @Cyber Liberty   Someone without either is often a self-righteous bully.

But, at least these threads have a way of explaining why the majority would rather spit on a Republican than vote for the candidate.

There is *NO* principle or compassion involved in killing babies. EVER.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2022, 06:53:21 pm »
Utterly INDEFENSIBLE on its face.  **nononono*

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2022, 07:18:49 pm »

Would an exception to the Fetal Heartbeat laws truly be an abomination in the case of rape, incest and threat to the mother?  Is it justfied to overrule the spirit of Christian life for earthly political principles?

How is killing innocent unborn babies the "spirit of Christian life"?

I can see the medical necessity in the rare case where the mother will die if the baby isn't aborted, but in the case of rape or incest I can't help but ask, "what crime did the unborn baby commit that would warrant death"?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2022, 07:18:59 pm »

You've convinced me you wouldn't know compassion if it bit you in the ass, but what of discernment?  What do you,  oh holy man, say of a 14 year old pregnant through rape?

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2022, 07:20:44 pm »

Amen!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2022, 07:28:31 pm »
How is killing innocent unborn babies the "spirit of Christian life"?

There are two (2) lives involved here @bilo. The carve out is for three very specific circumstances:  pregnancy through rape, incest or that threatens the physical health of the mother. 

Does not Christian life demand compassion and discernment in all things?  Do not these three specific circumstances qualify under "all things"?

Offline bilo

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2022, 07:28:56 pm »
You've convinced me you wouldn't know compassion if it bit you in the ass, but what of discernment?  What do you,  oh holy man, say of a 14 year old pregnant through rape?

@roamer_1

I know you're going back and forth with roamer_1 on this, but he is spot on when he asked "what crime did the baby commit?"

Everyone would agree that it is a very tough situation for the 14 year old girl. In this very rare circumstance we are left with a very hard choice, do we always value life or do we only value life when it's convenient? If it's the latter as you are suggesting shouldn't we just end the life of our relatives when they are struck with dementia and they've become a burden, or how about the child with a painful terminal illness?