Author Topic: Air Force to eliminate fleet of planes used to stifle drug smuggling by end of year  (Read 89 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Air Force to eliminate fleet of planes used to stifle drug smuggling by end of year
Story by Cami Mondeaux • Yesterday 9:35 AM
16 Comments

The Air Force is planning to eliminate its small fleet of surveillance planes used to counter drug smuggling at the border by the end of the month — abruptly moving up its original deadline by four months.

National Guard pilots must fly their aircraft to the Boneyard before the end of the month so the planes can be stripped for parts, according to documents circulated to branch members obtained by CNN. The updated plan marks an escalation in the service branch’s efforts to phase out the fleet despite its reliance on the planes to intercept drug smuggling missions at the border.

The Air Force initially told pilots earlier this year it would be scrapping the fleet of RC-26 planes due to a lack of funding from Congress for the aircraft, telling service members they would cease to fly missions beginning in April 2023, according to internal memos obtained by the outlet. The aircraft would then be sold to entities outside the Defense Department.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/air-force-to-eliminate-fleet-of-planes-used-to-stifle-drug-smuggling-by-end-of-year/ar-AA15K4r6?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=64a852278a1044aea81dd2f82ae99b34
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 01:44:37 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson