Author Topic: QUIET, COLD, AND VITAL: ARSOF IN THE ARCTIC  (Read 91 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
QUIET, COLD, AND VITAL: ARSOF IN THE ARCTIC
« on: December 29, 2022, 01:16:44 pm »
QUIET, COLD, AND VITAL: ARSOF IN THE ARCTIC
Posted byDevin Kirkwood
December 8, 2022
4 Commentson QUIET, COLD, AND VITAL: ARSOF IN THE ARCTIC

EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the second of a series of three articles coming from the 2022 Kingston Conference on International Security, “International Competition in the High North,” co-sponsored by the Army War College’s Strategic Studies Institute in conjunction with three Canadian partners.

The current temporary theme we are using only credits a single author. This article was written by Devin Kirkwood, Barrett Martin and Michael Tovo.

To say that SOF spent the last 20 years of the GWOT only focused on CT and DA is reductionist and borders on missing the forest for the trees.

Recent writings advocate refocusing Army Special Operations Force’s (ARSOF) role in large-scale combat operations (LSCO) against near-peer threats. Yet, solely focusing on LSCO dismisses the strategic effects ARSOF can achieve long before armed conflict arises. ARSOF can provide effects by creating complex dilemmas for adversaries in peripheral theaters, such as the Arctic, by using irregular warfare methods they were designed to employ.

https://warroom.armywarcollege.edu/articles/arsof-arctic/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson