Author Topic: This is what happens when Navy pilots land on the wrong aircraft carrier  (Read 328 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
This is what happens when Navy pilots land on the wrong aircraft carrier
Story by David Roza • Yesterday 9:30 AM

The U.S. military knows how to use good old-fashioned shame and physical exercise to teach service members valuable lessons, and the Navy aviation community is no different. An archival photo that surfaced recently on the popular Facebook page Air Force amn/nco/snco shows one lesson that sailors seemed to enjoy teaching their unfortunate colleagues: don’t land on the wrong aircraft carrier!

Though it looks like a bad photoshop job, this image is real. A 2018 tweet from the U.S. Naval Institute shows the same photo of a Navy F2H-2 Banshee fighter assigned to the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea covered in graffiti after landing aboard the USS Wasp in 1952. 

“Navy tradition holds that pilots who make a navigational error and land on the wrong carrier get mocked by the crew who ‘decorate’ the plane with graffiti,” the institute wrote in its tweet. “Adding ‘U.S. Air Force’ markings is the ultimate insult to an already embarrassed naval aviator.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/this-is-what-happens-when-navy-pilots-land-on-the-wrong-aircraft-carrier/ar-AA15Ky6S?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=373f54c6161f4e2d94dcc56196538d04
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 01:11:28 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: This is what happens when Navy pilots land on the wrong aircraft carrier
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 10:31:14 pm »
What happened to...
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"...?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 06:04:55 am »
What happened to...
"Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"...?
Once you have determined you can walk away, some are better than others... :shrug: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 01:49:55 pm »
Same used to happen at USAF bases, until PC/Woke whiny babies complained about "abuse" of gov't property to avoid embarrassment.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.