Author Topic: The faux urgency of the climate crisis is giving us no time or space to build a secure energy future  (Read 149 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The faux urgency of the climate crisis is giving us no time or space to build a secure energy future
Posted on December 27, 2022 by curryja | 63 Comments
by Judith Curry

There is a growing realisation that emissions and temperature targets are now detached from the issues of human well-being and the development of our 21st century world.

JC note:  this is the text of my op-ed for SkyNews that was published several weeks ago

For the past two centuries, fossil fuels have fueled humanity’s progress, improving standards of living and increasing the life span for billions of people. In the 21st century, a rapid transition away from fossil fuels has become an international imperative for climate change mitigation, under the auspices of the UN Paris Agreement.  As a result, the 21st century energy transition is dominated by stringent targets to rapidly eliminate carbon dioxide emissions.  However, the recent COP27 meeting in Egypt highlighted that very few of the world’s countries are on track to meet their emissions reductions commitment.

The desire for cleaner, more abundant, more reliable and less expensive sources of energy is universal.  However, the goal of rapidly eliminating fossil fuels is at odds with the urgency of providing grid electricity to developing countries. Rapid deployment of wind and solar power has invariably increased electricity costs and reduced reliability, particularly with increasing penetration into the grid. Allegations of human rights abuses in China’s Xinjiang region, where global solar voltaic supplies are concentrated, are generating political conflicts that threaten the solar power industry. Global supply chains of materials needed to produce solar and wind energy plus battery storage are spawning new regional conflicts, logistical problems, supply shortages and rising costs.  The large amount of land use required for wind and solar farms plus transmission lines is causing local land use conflicts in many regions.

https://judithcurry.com/2022/12/27/the-faux-urgency-of-the-climate-crisis-is-giving-us-not-time-or-space-to-build-a-secure-energy-future/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:21:00 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson