Author Topic: NASA Sensors to Help Detect Methane Emitted by Landfills  (Read 421 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NASA Sensors to Help Detect Methane Emitted by Landfills
« on: December 28, 2022, 03:31:37 pm »
NASA Sensors to Help Detect Methane Emitted by Landfills
Dec. 14, 2022

Methane from the waste sector makes up about 20% of human-caused methane emissions. A new project from a nonprofit group, Carbon Mapper, will use NASA instruments and data to measure emissions from landfills around the globe. Credit: Daniel Jędzura / Adobe Stock
A nonprofit group, Carbon Mapper, will use data from NASA’s EMIT mission, plus current airborne and future satellite instruments, to survey waste sites for methane emissions.

Observations from the Earth Surface Mineral Dust Source Investigation (EMIT) and other NASA science instruments will be part of a global survey of point-source emissions of methane from solid waste sites such as landfills. The multiyear effort is being developed and conducted by the nonprofit Carbon Mapper organization.

Methane is a potent greenhouse gas, the source of roughly a quarter to a third of global warming caused by humans. The aim of the new initiative is to establish a baseline assessment of global waste sites that emit methane at high rates. This information can support decision-makers as they work to reduce the concentration of the gas in the atmosphere and limit climate change.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasa-sensors-to-help-detect-methane-emitted-by-landfills
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: NASA Sensors to Help Detect Methane Emitted by Landfills
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 03:33:32 pm »
They wouldn't stop by cattle farms by chance, would they? :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 05:41:46 pm »
I think they will find the greatest sources of methane in places like DC, and government capitols around the globe.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 06:04:50 pm »

Nothing would make the enviro-whackos happier than destroying the cattle industry.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 07:36:42 pm »
Nothing the Global Reset vultures would love more than shut down landfills and force people to use less therefore throw away less via strict surveillance and regulation.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 11:38:37 am »
I think they will find the greatest sources of methane in places like DC, and government capitols around the globe.
The greatest concentrations of humans should yield the greatest concentrations of flatulence. I would expect some sort of urban fart island effect...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 04:22:04 pm »
The greatest concentrations of humans should yield the greatest concentrations of flatulence. I would expect some sort of urban fart island effect...

The fart island should be called the Mt. District of Corruption!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 04:23:18 pm by rangerrebew »
Thomas Jefferson