Author Topic: Why the U.S. isn’t ready for a fight in the Indo-Pacific  (Read 180 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why the U.S. isn’t ready for a fight in the Indo-Pacific
« on: December 28, 2022, 01:31:52 pm »

Why the U.S. isn’t ready for a fight in the Indo-Pacific
Pentagon’s promise to shore up its forces in the Pacific in 2023 is meeting skepticism.

By PHELIM KINE and LARA SELIGMAN

12/27/2022 04:30 AM EST

The U.S. has pledged to deploy so much firepower to the Indo-Pacific in 2023 that China won’t even consider invading Taiwan. Lawmakers and allies say it’s already too late.

The promise is a big one: “2023 is likely to stand as the most transformative year in U.S. force posture in the region in a generation,” Ely Ratner, assistant secretary of defense for Indo-Pacific security affairs, said in early December.

But GOP lawmakers say the Pentagon faces a stiff challenge in delivering on that pledge. That’s because Beijing now wields a navy large enough — backed by air power and “carrier killer” ballistic missiles — to challenge longtime U.S. naval dominance in the Indo-Pacific. And deliveries to Taiwan of billions of dollars in U.S. arms are backlogged, due to supply chain issues related to the pandemic and exacerbated by the Ukraine conflict.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/12/27/united-states-china-taiwan-pacific-00075555
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:33:10 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Why the U.S. isn’t ready for a fight in the Indo-Pacific
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 02:29:38 pm »
May not be a popular opinion right now, but Japan needs to arm itself to the teeth.

Need to scare the Chicoms in thinking their biggest threats are at or near their borders.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Re: Why the U.S. isn’t ready for a fight in the Indo-Pacific
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 04:07:18 pm »
May not be a popular opinion right now, but Japan needs to arm itself to the teeth.

Need to scare the Chicoms in thinking their biggest threats are at or near their borders.

:thumbsup: