Author Topic: Bring On The Electricity Cost Crisis!  (Read 122 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bring On The Electricity Cost Crisis!
« on: December 27, 2022, 02:52:08 pm »
Bring On The Electricity Cost Crisis!
December 24, 2022/ Francis Menton

In a post earlier this week, I celebrated the adoption by New York State of its Scoping Plan that tells us how we are going to accomplish the great transition to 70% “renewable” electricity by 2030 and zero-emissions electricity by 2040.  The summary is: “just build a lot of offshore wind turbines and batteries.”  Unfortunately, nobody seems to have done the basic arithmetic to see whether the prospective facilities will suffice to supply enough electricity to meet demand at all times.  But then, this Scoping Plan is the product of the Important People, and why do the Important People need to trouble themselves with such minutiae?  After all, they have a planet to save.

What that prior post did not consider was the likely cost to New York consumers of trying to buy electricity in a future at times when the wind is calm, the sun is dark, and fossil fuels have been suppressed.  How high might the cost go when everybody has to bid at the same time for the small amounts of hydro or nuclear that may remain?

It turns out that three members of the Climate Action Council (propounders of the Scoping Plan) dissented from issuance of the Plan.  One of those, a guy named Gavin Donohue, is at least partially alert to the consumer cost issue.  His statement dissenting from the Scoping Plan can be found here.  Among other things, he had this to say on the cost issue:

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2022-12-24-bring-on-the-electricity-cost-crisis
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson