General Category > Midterm Elections 2022

Incoming GOP Congressman George Santos Admits He Lied About Significant Portions of His Background

(1/12) > >>

mystery-ak:
Incoming GOP Congressman George Santos Admits He Lied About Significant Portions of His Background

Paul Bois 26 Dec 2022

Incoming Republican Congressman George Santos admitted this week that he lied about significant portions of his background, including his work and education histories.

Last week, a New York Times investigation revealed that Santos may have lied about his résumé as well as other alleged unsavory details about his past. On top of claiming that he attended Baruch College, Santos also claimed in his campaign biography that he worked for Citigroup and Goldman Sachs. The investigation from the Times called these claims into question, with both Citigroup and Goldman Sachs claiming they had no record of him working there. Officials with Baruch College also told the Times that the school has no record of Santos graduating from the school in 2010, as he previously claimed. Santos also claims in a biography on the website of the National Republican Congressional Committee that he briefly attended New York University, but N.Y.U officials said they could find no record of his attendance.

At first, Santos called the investigation an attempt to “smear his good name” with defamatory allegations, but in an exclusive interview with the New York Post released on Monday, the freshman congressman admitted that he embellished his résumé.

“My sins here are embellishing my résumé,” Santos said.

Santos further admitted that he “never worked directly” for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup, arguing that his claims were a “poor choice of words.” According to the junior Republican, the company Link Bridge, where he served as vice president, had business ties to those top-level firms, adding that he would make “capital introductions” between clients and investors. Goldman Sachs and Citigroup were both “LPS,  Limited Partnerships,” he said.

“I will be clearer about that. It was stated poorly,” Santos said.

Santos also admitted he never graduated from college. “I didn’t graduate from any institution of higher learning. I’m embarrassed and sorry for having embellished my resume,” he said. “I own up to that … We do stupid things in life.”

Despite the falsehoods, Santos said that they will not derail his congressional tenure.

“I am not a criminal,” Santos said. “This [controversy] will not deter me from having good legislative success. I will be effective. I will be good.”

The New York Times also called into question some claims Santos made about his heritage, such as his saying on his campaign website that his mother was Jewish and that his grandparents escaped the Nazis during World War II. Now, Santos claims he’s “clearly Catholic” and that he never claimed to be Jewish but instead “Jew-ish.”

“I never claimed to be Jewish,” Santos said. “I am Catholic. Because I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish.’”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022/12/26/incoming-gop-congressman-george-santos-admits-he-lied-about-significant-portions-of-his-background/

mystery-ak:
 Democrats call for George Santos to resign over ‘whopping lies’ 
by Julia Mueller - 12/26/22 10:54 PM ET

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3789059-democrats-call-for-george-santos-to-resign-over-whopping-lies/

cato potatoe:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on December 27, 2022, 02:49:02 pm ---Democrats call for George Santos to resign over ‘whopping lies’

--- End quote ---

After the characters they have put forth, I don't think so.  He can be replaced in 2024. 

mountaineer:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on December 27, 2022, 02:49:02 pm --- Democrats call for George Santos to resign over ‘whopping lies’
--- End quote ---
As soon as they call for Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, et al., also to resign over whopping lies. M'kay?

mystery-ak:
George Santos: Okay. I lied about almost everything
Jazz Shaw 10:31 AM on December 27, 2022

When Republican George Santos filed to run for Congress in New York’s 3rd Congressional District on Long Island, his profile seemed like a perfect fit in a city that leans decidedly liberal. He ticked all of the demographic boxes. He was young, gay, and Jewish. His grandmother had escaped the holocaust, moving to America for a new life. He had experience in the corporate world, having worked for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. He was a graduate of Baruch College, an affiliate of CUNY. What’s not to like?

Santos went on to win a nail-biter of an election, riding the red mini-wave that swept over New York State. But as it turned out, pretty much everything I pointed to above from his resume turned out to be a lie. The New York Post finally caught up to him this week and got him to come clean. And Democrats in New York are asking how nobody managed to figure this out during the campaign.

--- Quote ---    Long Island Rep.-elect George Santos came clean to The Post on Monday, admitting that he lied on the campaign trail about his education and work experience — but insisting that the controversy won’t deter him from serving out his two-year term in Congress.

“I am not a criminal,” Santos said at one point during his exclusive interview. “This [controversy] will not deter me from having good legislative success. I will be effective. I will be good.”

Santos’s professional biography was called into question earlier this month after the New York Times reported that he misrepresented a number of claims, including where he attended college and his alleged employment history with high-profile Wall Street firms.
--- End quote ---

more
https://hotair.com/jazz-shaw/2022/12/27/george-santos-okay-i-lied-about-almost-everything-n520147

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version