Author Topic: Congress mandates more oversight on Pentagon plans for defending Guam  (Read 172 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress mandates more oversight on Pentagon plans for defending Guam
By Jen Judson
 Dec 23, 02:13 PM

WASHINGTON — Lawmakers will require the defense secretary to create a federally funded research and development center that can independently assess the Pentagon’s plans to build an integrated air-and-missile defense architecture to defend Guam, according to the Fiscal Year 2023 National Defense Authorization Act.

And Congress is also requiring more oversight from the Pentagon’s Missile Defense Agency and the services on the mission to defend Guam — a top agency priority — by providing quarterly updates to congressional defense committees in the FY23 Appropriations Act passed into law on Dec. 23.

The MDA has been working on an architecture to defend Guam from air and missile threats for several years but has been scant on the details causing lawmakers to continuously hammer the agency during hearings and withheld funding in FY22 for not being forthcoming.

It was not until it released its FY23 budget request that the MDA unveiled details on its plans.

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2022/12/23/congress-mandates-more-oversight-on-pentagon-plans-for-defending-guam/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Congress mandates more oversight on Pentagon plans for defending Guam
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 01:10:22 pm »
So much for Guam's future! :facepalm2: 
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson