Author Topic: Congress set to give another $1 billion for Red Hill  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congress set to give another $1 billion for Red Hill
« on: December 25, 2022, 12:55:29 pm »
Congress set to give another $1 billion for Red Hill
By SOPHIE COCKE
THE HONOLULU STAR-ADVERTISER • December 21, 2022

(Tribune News Service) — Congress is poised to allocate another $1 billion to shutting down the Navy's Red Hill fuel facility.

The funding is expected to cover major repairs to the facility's pipelines and other infrastructure that will facilitate the safe draining of approximately 104 million gallons of fuel from aging underground tanks, as well as remediating the soil and groundwater that's been polluted by past fuel spills.

The funding is included in the annual appropriations bill, which is expected to be signed by Friday by President Joe Biden.

"This is new federal funding to drain and permanently shut down Red Hill," said U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz, a senior member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, in a news release. "We still have more work to do to make sure Red Hill is closed as quickly and safely as possible, and now we have even more resources to help in that effort."

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2022-12-21/congress-billion-red-hill-8499681.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Congress set to give another $1 billion for Red Hill
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 12:57:08 pm »
What will happen to the $900 million left over? 888mouth 
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson