Author Topic: The Case For Climate Justice. It’s not what they would have you believe  (Read 163 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Case For Climate Justice
It’s not what they would have you believe

POSTED ON 16 DEC 22
BY MARK HODGSONIN AFRICA, ALARMISM, CLIMATE CHANGE, POLITICS, PROPAGANDA, 
In a comment on What’s Two Million Years Or So? John Cullen observed that “climate catastrophism is simply a tool for wealth distribution.” That is a conclusion at which I had already arrived by the time I finished Call That A Party?, if not some considerable time before. In the run-up to COP27 the emphasis had been on “loss and damage” and the need for a(nother) fund to be set up, with money to be paid in by developed countries, and doled out to developing countries, it being claimed that developing countries have done least to cause climate change, while suffering the most from its effects. Nobody seemed unduly surprised (or indeed unduly bothered) when the outcome of COP27 was to fail to produce any form of agreement to do anything substantial about the ongoing emission of greenhouse gases. Instead, many seemed pleased to note a commitment to set up a loss and damage fund as the main achievement (if such it can be called), with a few more attentive observers noting that nobody was actually obliged to pay anything into the fund.

Of course, a laser focus remains on climate change in many quarters, and discussion about it is now the constant backdrop to our lives. This is essential if it is to be the hook on which attempts to redistribute wealth from the developed to the developing world are hung. So constant is the focus on the BBC that I now play a game when setting off in the car with the radio tuned to BBC Radio 4, 5 or the World Service – I have to guess how long it will take before climate change is mentioned. Last week set the record, when a programme on the World Service about a cooking challenge announced that the winner would be the competitor who produced the most climate-friendly meal. I hadn’t even reached the end of the street.

However, I digress. Back to “climate justice”. It seems that our local library is keen to display leaflets that push all and any aspects of the agenda relating to climate change, net zero and climate justice. I wrote The Great British Turn Off in part as a response to one such leaflet. It shouldn’t surprise me that I find so much climate-related documentation in the foyer of the library, given that the local Council has resolved “to become a ‘carbon neutral’ county and to mitigate the likely impact of existing climate change” and Councils up and down the country are prioritising climate change and net zero whatever the cost. Perhaps librarians should be careful what they prioritise, however, given that while net zero and climate change projects never seem to be at risk, libraries are often in the front-line for cuts when there are budget shortfalls.

https://cliscep.com/2022/12/16/the-case-for-climate-justice/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson