Author Topic: John Cleese: Wokeness Smothers Creativity (Interview)  (Read 239 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
John Cleese: Wokeness Smothers Creativity (Interview)
« on: December 24, 2022, 02:31:38 pm »
John Cleese: Wokeness Smothers Creativity (Interview)
Heartland Author
December 24, 2022
 t

John Cleese: Wokeness smothers creativity, says the Monty Python alumni in an interview with Reason.

In a career that has spanned seven decades—and included such classic shows and movies as Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Life of Brian, and A Fish Called Wanda—the comedian John Cleese has relentlessly satirized politics and religion while stretching the boundaries of decorum and good taste.

Now 83, Cleese—who studied law at the University of Cambridge—has set his sights on political correctness, which he says is the enemy not only of humor but of creative thinking in all areas of human activity. “There are people sitting there who are deliberately waiting for the thrill of being offended,” he says, emphasizing the importance of paying attention to context, without which irony and sarcasm can’t be properly understood.

Reason‘s Nick Gillespie caught up with Cleese at FreedomFest, an annual July gathering in Las Vegas. Cleese was the keynote speaker, there to discuss creativity, which was the subject of his 2020 book of the same name. It’s a myth “that creativity is something you have to be born with,” he argues, contending that “you can teach people how to create circumstances in which they will become creative.”

https://heartlanddailynews.com/2022/12/john-cleese-wokeness-smothers-creativity-interview/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline goatprairie

Re: John Cleese: Wokeness Smothers Creativity (Interview)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 04:46:10 am »
 "It’s a myth “that creativity is something you have to be born with,” he argues, contending that “you can teach people how to create circumstances in which they will become creative.”

Cleese is wrong....some people are simply born with more aptitude in certain things than others. That extends to all areas of human endeavor. For instance, some people are just better at understanding mechanical problems and solving them than others.
My older brother's one kid can rip out the dashboard on a motor vehicle and rewire everything. Which he did one time.
My brother and I just laughed neither of us much good in the understanding of modern wiring. His kid also took a book about law off the shelf in a Walmart, read it, and passed the bar exam.
Some people just have more of something than others.
Cleese created some of the funniest characters in comedic history. I doubt more than one person in a million had his talent for doing that. He's just trying to be nice.