Author Topic: West Point is removing Confederate symbols from campus  (Read 549 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
West Point is removing Confederate symbols from campus
« on: December 23, 2022, 12:09:29 pm »
West Point is removing Confederate symbols from campus
By Bobby Caina Calvan, The Associated Press
 Dec 22, 01:44 PM

This photo provided by the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in New York shows the three bronze panels at one of the entrances to Bartlett Hall, at West Point, that depicts the history of the United States.

NEW YORK — Before turning against the U.S. military to command the Confederate army, Robert E. Lee served as the superintendent of West Point, the hallowed military academy that produced patriots like Ulysses S. Grant, Douglas MacArthur and Dwight Eisenhower.

But in the coming days, the storied academy will take down a portrait of Lee dressed in his Confederate uniform from its library, where it has been hanging since the 1950s and place it in storage. It will also remove the stone bust of the Civil War’s top southern general at Reconciliation Plaza. And Lee’s quote about honor will be stripped from the academy’s Honor Plaza.

The moves are part of a Department of Defense directive issued in October ordering the academy to address racial injustice and do away with installations that “commemorate or memorialize the Confederacy.”

That includes a trio of bronze panels, measuring 11 feet tall and 5 feet wide, that depict significant events and figures in U.S. history, including Benjamin Franklin and Clara Barton. But the oversized plaques, dedicated in 1965, not only featured Lee and other supporters of the Confederacy but an image of an armed man in a hood, with “Ku Klux Klan” written below.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2022/12/22/west-point-is-removing-confederate-symbols-from-campus/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: West Point is removing Confederate symbols from campus
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2022, 12:15:29 pm »
The military is doing all it can to change history by erasing from the minds of Americans it was democrats who defended and fought for slavery; forget democrats fought against integration; forget southern democrats were known as "Dixiecrats" for their segregationist views.:nono:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 01:51:09 pm »
That Robert E. Lee, who had been offered command of The Army of the Potomac, refused that command, resigned his commission, and went home to Virginia to defend his home state says more about honor than most will ever comprehend. The price he paid was high, but he did what he thought right.

Removing him from the history of West Point only removes that level of understanding.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 02:42:58 pm »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 02:46:37 pm »
We'll just pretend he never was superintendent of USMA. We'll just pretend we can change history.

There, much better!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 03:08:25 pm »
went home to Virginia to defend his home state says more about honor than most will ever comprehend. 

He actually referred to Virginia as his home "country" which is a very different view of patriotism than exists today.  Prior to the Civil War writing about the country would be worded as the United States ARE, after the United States IS.  Lee actually defended states' rights, not slavery.  Today, states' rights are almost gone which is another democrat goal.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 04:40:10 pm »
You know who else destroys history they don't like? Communists and moslems.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 04:42:52 pm »
That Robert E. Lee, who had been offered command of The Army of the Potomac, refused that command, resigned his commission, and went home to Virginia to defend his home state says more about honor than most will ever comprehend. The price he paid was high, but he did what he thought right.

Correctamundo.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2022, 07:20:06 pm »
He actually referred to Virginia as his home "country" which is a very different view of patriotism than exists today.  Prior to the Civil War writing about the country would be worded as the United States ARE, after the United States IS.  Lee actually defended states' rights, not slavery.  Today, states' rights are almost gone which is another democrat goal.
You are correct, but then a "State" was a country. These United States were composed of a group of sovereign States, each with their own Governors, Legislatures, Constitutions, Laws, and Armies (Militias), sharing common standards and measures, currency, and a postal system, united for the purpose of defending their common border and to reduce obstacles to commerce among them.

The Federal Government was there for a few specific purposes, and all else was left to the States to decide, so long as those decisions did not violate the terms of the mutual compact.

Lee, and much of the Confederacy, fought to retain the right of self-determination, within the several states. Slavery was an issue, but despite common reference (because it was a hot button issue), it was not THE issue, else it would have been mentioned by Lincoln well before 1863.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2022, 07:59:33 pm »
In Boston a few years ago, in one of the woke race riots, it was discovered there was a confederate grave of some confederate POWS on an island in Boston, that nobody had see in basically 100 years. The wokies were outraged because this was a "confederate monument in Boston" and they had to remove it of course. Not sure if they dug up the bodies.

These people are garbage.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2017/08/16/boston-confederate-monument

Rest easy, it's gone now.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2022, 08:07:37 pm »
They recently dug up the remains of USMA graduate A.P. Hill in Richmond and tore down a statue in his honor. His body has yet to be given a decent burial, apparently. No telling where he is.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2022, 08:21:31 pm »
They recently dug up the remains of USMA graduate A.P. Hill in Richmond and tore down a statue in his honor. His body has yet to be given a decent burial, apparently. No telling where he is.

Ghouls right? Digging up bodies? Too much!