Author Topic: Netflix poised to end password sharing, potentially affecting 100 million users  (Read 576 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Netflix poised to end password sharing, potentially affecting 100 million users

Streaming service has been struggling to compete in crowded entertainment market.

Just the News staff

Updated: December 22, 2022 - 3:47pm

Netflix is reportedly poised to cancel the widespread user practice of "password sharing," limiting accounts to one single household in a move to shore up its struggling bottom line. 

The streaming company several years ago "identified password sharing as a major problem eating into subscriptions," the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday, but did not move to address it until this year due to significant gains in subscribers during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

That boom in subscribers "masked the extent of the password-sharing issue," Co-Chief Executive Reed Hastings reportedly told executives earlier this year, with company sources telling the Journal that Netflix recently decided to act on the problem as the company saw a subsequent downturn in subscribers. 

The new rules will allegedly go into effect early next year. 

more
https://justthenews.com/nation/technology/netflix-poised-end-password-sharing-potentially-affecting-100-million-users
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline roamer_1

If they get rid of family accounts, then they will get rid of me, my mother and my son. I don't mind paying my end of that - around 70 bucks a year - But my interest in netflix has never been worth a full subscription, and is now teetering precariously once a year wrt my continuance. To think I would pay a full subscription is laughable... And I know my kin feel the same way.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If they get rid of family accounts, then they will get rid of me, my mother and my son. I don't mind paying my end of that - around 70 bucks a year - But my interest in netflix has never been worth a full subscription, and is now teetering precariously once a year wrt my continuance. To think I would pay a full subscription is laughable... And I know my kin feel the same way.
Yeah, they'd have even less appeal as a paid service if family accounts didn't cover family...but then, all that woke dreck didn't seem so traditional family friendly, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 06:03:46 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Yeah, they'd have even less appeal as a paid service if family accounts didn't cover family...but then, all that woke dreck didn't seem so traditional family friendly, anyway.

A better reason than any to flip em a finger and be on my way.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Family after a certain age is spread out, they will lose us too.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....