Author Topic: Man ‘facing £7,000 energy bill’ after switching to £25,000 government-backed ‘green’ heat pump  (Read 349 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Man ‘facing £7,000 energy bill’ after switching to £25,000 government-backed ‘green’ heat pump
DECEMBER 20, 2022

By Paul Homewood

h/t Tallbloke

From the Independent:

A man claims he is facing a £7,000 energy bill after replacing his heating system with a £25,000 Government-backed ‘green’ heat pump.

Officials are currently providing grants for up to £5,000 to home owners who remove a gas central heating and hot water system and replace it with a heat pump.

But the new system, backed by many in the green lobby, has apparently left many UK homeowners in the cold.

Steve Mason, 58, spent thousands on the new system and says he has seen his bills rocket despite his thermostat being set at just 17 degrees.

Based on the same technology as refrigerators, the air pump pulls heat out from outside air and into the house, and can be run on renewably generated electricity, making them carbon neutral.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2022/12/20/man-facing-7000-energy-bill-after-switching-to-25000-government-backed-green-heat-pump/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

What happens when there is no "heat outside the house"?

I presume the colder and the drier the outside, the harder the heat pump must work.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Hoodat

What happens when there is no "heat outside the house"?

There's always heat outside the house.  (Think of how it would be if the air was as solid as ice). 

It is the heat differential that matters.  In winter, heat is always escaping from inside the house.  The greater the temperature differential, the harder the heat pump has to work to keep up.  At the same time, that heat pump is now running more inefficiently because of that same temperature differential.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-