Author Topic: 'Disastrous effect': Landmark Supreme case could muzzle internet, experts say  (Read 158 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
'Disastrous effect': Landmark Supreme case could muzzle internet, experts say
'They are recommending things and promoting things that are dangerous'

Published December 21, 2022 at 12:34pm

By Kate Anderson
Daily Caller News Foundation

The Supreme Court is hearing a case regarding Section 230 that has protected internet platforms from liability in the past and could completely change the internet, according to experts.
After the 2015 Paris terror attack that killed 130 people, several relatives of the survivors sued Google for its algorithms that allegedly contributed to the radicalization of the terrorists responsible.

“If the court were to rule in favor of Gonzales you’re going to have this really weird legal situation where technically if you do any type of moderation that signals that you have knowledge that there is bad content on your platform and therefore could be held liable for it,” an expert told DCNF.
A Supreme Court case challenging Section 230, which has unilaterally protected tech companies from legal action in the past, could potentially lead to “disastrous” changes regarding how companies suggest content to their users, according to some experts.

https://www.wnd.com/2022/12/disastrous-effect-landmark-supreme-case-muzzle-internet-experts-say/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline roamer_1

'Disastrous effect': Landmark Supreme case could muzzle internet, experts say
'They are recommending things and promoting things that are dangerous'

Published December 21, 2022 at 12:34pm

By Kate Anderson
Daily Caller News Foundation

The Supreme Court is hearing a case regarding Section 230 that has protected internet platforms from liability in the past and could completely change the internet, according to experts.
After the 2015 Paris terror attack that killed 130 people, several relatives of the survivors sued Google for its algorithms that allegedly contributed to the radicalization of the terrorists responsible.

“If the court were to rule in favor of Gonzales you’re going to have this really weird legal situation where technically if you do any type of moderation that signals that you have knowledge that there is bad content on your platform and therefore could be held liable for it,” an expert told DCNF.
A Supreme Court case challenging Section 230, which has unilaterally protected tech companies from legal action in the past, could potentially lead to “disastrous” changes regarding how companies suggest content to their users, according to some experts.

https://www.wnd.com/2022/12/disastrous-effect-landmark-supreme-case-muzzle-internet-experts-say/

They were warned. When you edit content to sway context, that is no longer an open platform.