Author Topic: Congressional Appropriators Reach $1.7T Omnibus Deal; Defense Bill Funds 11 Battle Force Ships  (Read 95 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Congressional Appropriators Reach $1.7T Omnibus Deal; Defense Bill Funds 11 Battle Force Ships
By: Mallory Shelbourne
December 20, 2022 11:38 AM

Moon over U.S. Capitol on Nov. 13, 2016. NASA Photo

Congressional appropriators early Tuesday announced a deal for a $1.7 trillion omnibus spending package for Fiscal Year 2023 that allots funding for the Navy to buy 11 battle force ships.
The omnibus package allots $858 billion for national defense, matching the FY 2023 authorization bill. It’s a $45 billion increase from the $813 billion the Biden administration sought for national defense in its FY 2023 budget mission.

The defense spending bill appropriates $797.7 billion in funding, which, when including the $19 billion military construction spending bill, adds up to the $816 billion that Congressional authorizers approved for the Pentagon’s base budget in the National Defense Authorization Act that lawmakers passed earlier this month.

The spending legislation appropriates $31.9 billion for the Navy’s shipbuilding account – an increase from the $27.9 billion the Navy asked for in its FY 2023 budget submission – so the service can buy two Virginia-class submarines, three Flight III Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, one Constellation-class frigate, one San Antonio-class transport dock, two Expeditionary Fast Transport ships, one T-ATS 6 Navajo-class towing, salvage and rescue ship and one T-AO-205 John Lewis-class fleet oiler, according to a House Appropriations Committee summary of the bill.

The funding bill matches the 11 battle force ships Congressional authorizers approved in the National Defense Authorization Act, which is awaiting a signature from President Joe Biden.

https://news.usni.org/2022/12/20/congressional-appropriators-reach-1-7t-omnibus-deal-defense-bill-funds-11-battle-force-ships
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 12:44:13 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How many ships could have been funded if we weren't harboring millions of illegals and every war, or potential war, around the world?
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson