Author Topic: 15,000 Built: Why the Old M60 Tank Won’t Go Away  (Read 173 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
15,000 Built: Why the Old M60 Tank Won’t Go Away
« on: December 20, 2022, 12:11:44 pm »
15,000 Built: Why the Old M60 Tank Won’t Go Away
Story by Peter Suciu • Saturday

Across the United States, there are now hundreds of M60 tanks that are on display at parks, National Guard armories, military bases, and museums. The reason so many were able to be used as static displays is that a staggering number were produced – more than 15,000 in all variants.

Though the United States military retired the M60 from front-line combat after 1991’s Operation Desert Storm and the last tanks were retired from National Guard service in 1997. Yet, as of last year, the M60 main battle tank (MBT) remained in active service with some 17 nations around the world – a testament to the robustness of the basic design. In fact, during the Cold War, U.S. M60 MBT served longer and fought on more battlefields than any other. It played a critical role in defending key American allies and provided the U.S. Army in Europe with a solid, dependable tank to fend off the armored hordes of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact. A descendant of Korean War era “Patton” tanks, the M60 was an example of how incremental advances in military technology could progressively better-fighting machines.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/15-000-built-why-the-old-m60-tank-won-t-go-away/ar-AA15oWzK?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e2a2476f86cc44f48c5c213110afd0c9
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: 15,000 Built: Why the Old M60 Tank Won’t Go Away
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 12:22:36 pm »
Well, the M60 is just a good old solid tank that gets the job done without all the fancy gimmicks and technologies that infected defense procurement in the 1960s and 1970s, as lampooned in "The Pentagon Wars."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir0FAa8P2MU
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus