Author Topic: SCOTUS Chief Justice John Roberts Issues Temporary Stay on Order to End Title 42  (Read 930 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by Mary Chastain Monday, December 19, 2022

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/12/scotus-chief-justice-john-roberts-issues-stay-on-order-to-end-title-42/

Roberts also ordered, “a response to the application to be filed on or before Tuesday, December 20, 2022, by 5 p.m. (EST).”

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts issued a stay on order to end Title 42.

“Upon consideration of the application of counsel for the applicants, it is ordered that the November 15, 2022 order of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, case No. 1:21-cv-00100, is hereby stayed pending further order of the undersigned or of the Court,” wrote Roberts.

Roberts also ordered, “a response to the application to be filed on or before Tuesday, December 20, 2022, by 5 p.m. (EST).”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed Title 42 — a Trump-era immigration policy implemented when the pandemic broke out to quickly expel asylum-seekers at the border — to remain in effect for now, putting a judge’s ruling that would have ended it last week on hold.

The court voted 5-4 to grant an emergency request by 19 Republican state attorneys general who sought to intervene in defense of the policy. The decision puts on hold a ruling by Washington-based U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan, who said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s implementation of the policy was “arbitrary and capricious.” Sullivan’s ruling was due to go into effect Dec. 21.

Conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch joined the three liberals on the court in voting against the stay request. The brief court order said that while the administration cannot set aside the Title 42 policy, the decision "does not prevent the federal government from taking any action with respect to that policy."

more
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-keeps-place-trump-era-immigration-policy-allowing-asylum-rcna62560

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
My chemo brain won't process things like this that are foreign to me.

Could someone explain this to me using plain language,possible outcomes,and why they are possible outcomes?

Also,is the outcome a good thing or a bad thing from a conservative POV?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
My chemo brain won't process things like this that are foreign to me.

Could someone explain this to me using plain language,possible outcomes,and why they are possible outcomes?

Also,is the outcome a good thing or a bad thing from a conservative POV?

Obviously not a legal expert, but my POV this was basically a kicking the can down the road exercise by SCOTUS.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Obviously not a legal expert, but my POV this was basically a kicking the can down the road exercise by SCOTUS.

@catfish1957

Ok,thanks.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Pease read before judging Gorsuch....   pointing-down

“Gorsuch acknowledged that the states may have valid concerns, but, he added, “the current border crisis is not a COVID crisis. And courts should not be in the business of perpetuating administrative edicts designed for one emergency only because elected officials has failed to address a different emergency. We are a court of law, not a policymaker of last resort.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-keeps-place-trump-era-immigration-policy-allowing-asylum-rcna62560

« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 12:31:44 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Hoodat

“Gorsuch acknowledged that the states may have valid concerns, but, he added, “the current border crisis is not a COVID crisis. And courts should not be in the business of perpetuating administrative edicts designed for one emergency only because elected officials has failed to address a different emergency. We are a court of law, not a policymaker of last resort.”

Justice Gorsuch is correct.  For a case with more merit, plaintiffs should be suing the Biden regime for willful violation of Article IV, Section 4 of the US Constitution.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
I must say I agree with Gorsuch on this.  Right and wrong is one thing, and the law is another.  Sustaining Title 42 might be the right thing to do, but the action was an emergency executive action to begin with, so it is really up to the POTUS to determine whether to continue it or not.  We may not like it, but as a matter of law, unless congress acts, no emergency provision is going to last beyond the term of the president who initiated it, nor should it.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Agree 100%. They refuse to hear what they are constitutionally compelled to hear and delve into that in which they have no business at all.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:59:51 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Kamaji

Gorsuch is one to watch, long term. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gorsuch is one to watch, long term.

Really?...aside from Thomas I always thought Gorsuch was one of the smartest on the bench.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Really?...aside from Thomas I always thought Gorsuch was one of the smartest on the bench.

I guess I should have been clearer: I think he’s going to be a good justice and make some rulings that will have long term importance.

I meant to watch him in a good sense. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia