Author Topic: Lawmakers rush to find an opening for Army star blocked from NFL  (Read 173 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Lawmakers rush to find an opening for Army star blocked from NFL
« on: December 19, 2022, 06:35:56 pm »
Lawmakers rush to find an opening for Army star blocked from NFL
By Leo Shane III
 Friday, Dec 16

Army linebacker Andre Carter II tackles Georgia State quarterback Cornelious Brown IV during the first quarter of an NCAA football game on Sept. 4, 2021, in Atlanta. (Ben Margot/AP)
Lawmakers are scrambling to tweak rules regarding whether military academy athletes are eligible to play professional sports after graduation following an outcry from legislation which may block an Army football star from a potential multi-million dollar career in the National Football League.

At issue is the future of Army linebacker Andre Carter II, who played his last game of collegiate football in last Saturday’s win over Navy. NFL scouts view Carter as a potential first-round draft pick and likely the highest pick ever from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

But Carter’s plans for a service deferment — a waiver that has been granted to come elite athletes from the military academies in recent years — were thrown into disarray last week when lawmakers included a provision in the annual defense authorization bill requiring two years of active-duty service before any such waiver could be granted.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2022/12/17/lawmakers-rush-to-find-an-opening-for-army-star-blocked-from-nfl/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Lawmakers rush to find an opening for Army star blocked from NFL
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 06:40:17 pm »
What do these *sshole politicians think, this guy didn't know he had a military obligation after his four years of education?  Lots of people, Roger Staubach as an example, played at an academy, did their military obligation, and still played pro ball.  Now this poor baby needs special consideration for some reason? *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson