Author Topic: Why are electric vehicles sales lagging in Texas? Maybe range anxiety, advocates and dealers say  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Hoodat

In North Dakota, especially in winter, and especially with a headwind, you are unlikely to make it from one major town to the next on a single charge, even in the East, where they are closer together.

You could if you don't use your headlights, radio, or heater.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
IMO with removable batteries, EV's would be unstoppable. Think of gas powered equipment vs. battery powered equipment. Battery works with basically as much power (debatable, yes), and you can just throw more batteries at it if you're worried. Keep a few in the trunk. Plus no futzing around with oil changes and maintenance.

Sounds easy.

But its not so simple.

How much does a Tesla battery weigh?

Tesla batteries weigh a surprising amount, especially compared to the battery in an internal combustion engine vehicle. But as the main component of Tesla’s powertrain, perhaps the battery size shouldn’t come as a surprise. Either way, here’s how much Tesla batteries weigh by model:

•   Tesla Model 3: 1,060 pounds
•   Tesla Model X: 1,183 pounds
•   Tesla Model S: 1,200 pounds
•   Tesla Model Y: 1,700 pounds

How Many Batteries Does A Tesla Have? (18650 Cells)

In a Tesla Model S

If you’re wondering how many batteries are in a Tesla Model S, the answer is 7104 cells of type 18650. The Tesla Model S is known for its impressive range and performance, thanks to its large battery pack. With 16 modules, this car has one of the biggest packs on the market. And with 7104 cells, it has plenty of juice to power its electric motors.

In a Tesla Model S Plaid

The Tesla Model S Plaid is one of the most impressive cars today. Thanks to its cutting-edge battery pack, it has an amazing range and performance. The Model S Plaid uses the same 18650 battery cells in 4680 quantities to achieve its incredible range and performance. The Tesla Model S Plaid has 250 kilowatts of battery power thanks to the extra space added to the battery back.

Offline roamer_1

IMO with removable batteries, EV's would be unstoppable. Think of gas powered equipment vs. battery powered equipment. Battery works with basically as much power (debatable, yes), and you can just throw more batteries at it if you're worried. Keep a few in the trunk. Plus no futzing around with oil changes and maintenance.

The hallmark of that thinking is probably construction and mechanic tools.
I've been in batt gear for a long time now... My original 9v Makita was barely functional... but I kept it around for drilling pilot holes in wood so I wouldn't have to change bits. Now, nearly every power tool you can think of I own as battery operated.

Now... I like em. And for the most part, they're good. But if I am screwing off a whole house in sheetrock, I will still be on a cord. I may mount the sheets with a battery...but the big job, the batts just ain't as good, and I don't care how many batteries you use.

Big tools are still corded too... I am a very long way away from a bat powered chop saw or contractor's table saw... even though they are out there.

BUT IN THIS CASE... The market governed demand. The products gained their chops on their own... and proved themselves on their own.

FORCING the product, not to mention the entire industry, is going to be a dire mistake,

Offline Hoodat

A tank of sodium borohydride and a hydrogen fuel cell would be far easier to manage.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

A tank of sodium borohydride and a hydrogen fuel cell would be far easier to manage.

He ain't wrong though. If the 'fuel cell' was a cartridge, you would basically be renting the fuel cell... Turn it in when it is empty and plug in a fully charged one, and on your way..... Sure beats the charge time problem, and eventually distance issues too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I've converted lots of cordless tools to corded. I could get as many cordless tools as I wanted for free as their batteries had died. The first I converted was a cordless screwdriver that ran on 2 C or D? cells. I ran it on a 12v gel cell in a fanny pack to help a coworker put a metal roof on his new barn. It screwed in those self tapping screws lightning fast.

Offline Hoodat

He ain't wrong though. If the 'fuel cell' was a cartridge, you would basically be renting the fuel cell... Turn it in when it is empty and plug in a fully charged one, and on your way..... Sure beats the charge time problem, and eventually distance issues too.

That's how they did it in the Fifth Element.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

I've converted lots of cordless tools to corded. I could get as many cordless tools as I wanted for free as their batteries had died. The first I converted was a cordless screwdriver that ran on 2 C or D? cells. I ran it on a 12v gel cell in a fanny pack to help a coworker put a metal roof on his new barn. It screwed in those self tapping screws lightning fast.

I am still on cords in mechanics... but the batteries are making inroads there too... My pneumatic blip gun (3/8) will likely fall to battery. Trouble lights will certainly go battery.

Though I predict my 1/2", 3/4", and 1" drive stuff will be pneumatic till I die. As will the little 1/4" hex drive Rodac screw driver on a coily hose that lives on my bench.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

It would sure depend on what the high volume price would be for the sodium borohydride and the catalyst would be.

I see that even Amazon currently sells the hydride: 1000g/$145.99
https://www.amazon.com/1000g-Sodium-Borohydride-16940-66-2-NaBH4/dp/B09JVSNT4Q

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I am still on cords in mechanics... but the batteries are making inroads there too... My pneumatic blip gun (3/8) will likely fall to battery. Trouble lights will certainly go battery.

Though I predict my 1/2", 3/4", and 1" drive stuff will be pneumatic till I die. As will the little 1/4" hex drive Rodac screw driver on a coily hose that lives on my bench.

My big tools are all pneumatic too. My favorite air tool is my lil Jet die grinder.

Offline roamer_1

My big tools are all pneumatic too. My favorite air tool is my lil Jet die grinder.

That little Rodac has been rebuilt by my hand (restoration quality) three times. My uncle John had it before me... gave it to me busted, and I fixed it. It is so well worn that I can't imagine another.

That 3/8 blip is hard to get rid of too... It has about a 30 degree head, and a paddle trigger... Even with a hose it gets into spots better than 90 degree stuff. And I don't like that honkin battery hanging off the end either... Not going to get where that one does... But it is coming... Just too easy, 90% of the time, not having to drag a hose around.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'm still pissed that "advocates" are blaming "range anxiety."  I am tired of being told that I have a mental illness if I oppose them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

It would sure depend on what the high volume price would be for the sodium borohydride and the catalyst would be.

I see that even Amazon currently sells the hydride: 1000g/$145.99
https://www.amazon.com/1000g-Sodium-Borohydride-16940-66-2-NaBH4/dp/B09JVSNT4Q

That's lab grade.  Commercial would be much less expensive.  Here it is for less than $6/lb:

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/sodium-borohydride-cas-number-16940-66-2-21853503530.html

And then there is economies of scale.  You will see a considerable cost drop once more manufacturers come online.  There will be a hefty recycle business as sodium metaborate is converted back into sodium borohydride.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
UPS would dehydrate it....
But then you would just have to add water... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You could if you don't use your headlights, radio, or heater.
It's 16 below zero outside (static air, not wind chill).
No heater, and in short order you would not be able to see where you are going (ice buildup from the moisture in your breath on the inside of the windshield).

Defrosters in internal combustion engine powered vehicles use waste heat from the engine and electricity to defrost windows and maintain a livable cabin temperature. I have driven in winter in vehicles whose heaters were insufficient. In the first 50 miles, a liter of tonic water sitting beside me froze solid. By the 100 mile mark, I was getting hypothermic, even though I was dressed fairly well for the weather. If I had had a flat or vehicle trouble, I would have been in a real and possibly life-threatening bind.

It is dark 16 hours per day in mid winter at this latitude (48 degrees+ N), midcontinent climate (about 80 miles west of the geographical center of North America--70 miles south of Saskatchewan).  Headlights not only make you easier to see (white fleet vehicles against a snow covered background), but are needed if you are going far. Eight hours of daylight and your travel options will be very limited.

Here, electric vehicles are just not suitable for winter unless for very limited travel in town. They are not something I would stake my life on.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Sounds easy.

But its not so simple.

Absolutely. But not so simple, IMHO, doesn't necessarily mean impossible. We can designs jacks and things to life way heavier stuff like cars and trucks, so 1000 pound batteries may be conceivable. Hard to imagine sure, but not impossible.

Call me crazy. :D

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Sales are lagging because no one wants the damned things! Even with the incentives!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sales are lagging because no one wants the damned things! Even with the incentives!

Especially in a large place like Texas!

But who are we?   We're mentally ill because we have "range anxiety!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Idiot

The hallmark of that thinking is probably construction and mechanic tools.
I've been in batt gear for a long time now... My original 9v Makita was barely functional... but I kept it around for drilling pilot holes in wood so I wouldn't have to change bits. Now, nearly every power tool you can think of I own as battery operated.

Now... I like em. And for the most part, they're good. But if I am screwing off a whole house in sheetrock, I will still be on a cord. I may mount the sheets with a battery...but the big job, the batts just ain't as good, and I don't care how many batteries you use.

Big tools are still corded too... I am a very long way away from a bat powered chop saw or contractor's table saw... even though they are out there.

BUT IN THIS CASE... The market governed demand. The products gained their chops on their own... and proved themselves on their own.

FORCING the product, not to mention the entire industry, is going to be a dire mistake,
I just replaced my dewalt drill and impact and got a free reciprocating saw.  The reciprocating saw is FANTASTIC!  We still volunteer building tiny houses for families to stay in for free who have relatives in the hospital.  I use that reciprocating saw all of the time and love it.  The one thing you have to remember though is that it always has power...lol.  When I sat it in the backseat of my truck and something hit the trigger it cut a hole in my seat cover protector.  Now I remove the battery before putting it up...lolololol. @roamer_1

Online DefiantMassRINO

Electric vehicles are best for flat, congested areas for short distances ... like last mile delivery fleets.

I assume that Fake Meat sales are also lagging in Texas compared to liberal Dem cities.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Hoodat

It's 16 below zero outside (static air, not wind chill).
No heater, and in short order you would not be able to see where you are going (ice buildup from the moisture in your breath on the inside of the windshield).

Defrosters in internal combustion engine powered vehicles use waste heat from the engine and electricity to defrost windows and maintain a livable cabin temperature.  .  .

Thanks for reminding me.  Can't use your wipers or rear window defroster either.

It is dark 16 hours per day in mid winter at this latitude (48 degrees+ N), midcontinent climate (about 80 miles west of the geographical center of North America--70 miles south of Saskatchewan).  Headlights not only make you easier to see (white fleet vehicles against a snow covered background), but are needed if you are going far. Eight hours of daylight and your travel options will be very limited.

Here, electric vehicles are just not suitable for winter unless for very limited travel in town. They are not something I would stake my life on.

No left-wing bureaucrat living in Bethesda and working in NW is going to have any understanding of life in suburban Minot.  Liberals take their derived solutions for their own unique personal problems (regardless of cost) and force those solutions on everyone else, totally oblivious of the fact that their problems aren't shared by others.  If a heavily subsidized electric vehicle will get them a six mile drive down Georgetown road, then everyone should be forced to get one.

As you so clearly illustrated, an electric vehicle equates to death in North Dakota.  And Beltway liberals don't care.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
One night after work my car heater quit in the parking lot. It was around zero. At that time work was about a 10 mile drive.

Thankfully I was dressed though I still nearly froze. I was breathing into my coat and still had to pull over and scrape the inside and outside of the windows twice.

You'd be surprised how far you don't get without heat.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

I just replaced my dewalt drill and impact and got a free reciprocating saw.  The reciprocating saw is FANTASTIC!  We still volunteer building tiny houses for families to stay in for free who have relatives in the hospital.  I use that reciprocating saw all of the time and love it.  The one thing you have to remember though is that it always has power...lol.  When I sat it in the backseat of my truck and something hit the trigger it cut a hole in my seat cover protector.  Now I remove the battery before putting it up...lolololol. @roamer_1

@mrpotatohead

YEP... I am a Ryobi guy, stem to stern... Though that is mainly construction stuff... I may be going Milwaukee out in the shop - I don't really want to serve two battery platforms, but those Milwaukee rattle guns particularly, and their whole line are sworn by and all others are sworn at. So I have that decision coming soon.  I can justify it - the shop stuff would be entirely separate from the rest - never the twain shall meet...

But Ryobi has been good to me, and true to their promise pretty much that their commitment to form factor and battery would be foremost - Every tool I have will take any battery I have, which is what sold me in that direction ... I had a terrible experience with Makita in that way. So I would not be against giving Ryobi the benefit of the doubt... My but I do wander off...

All that aside, I too have (Ryobi's) reciprocating saw... And It is probably the tool that sold me on batts. Really. I am on my second one, and I use the heck out of em. It was the first tool that was truly better cordless, easier to use and getting into harder places than it's corded contemporary. My drill and impact drill are probably still the most used, but that little sawzall is right up there.

And I too have learned the lesson about always taking the battery out when not in use. Had to replace a tray in my sawbox finding that out... That was the reciprocating saw for me too.  happy77

Offline roamer_1

@mrpotatohead

Another one that might surprise you.... That silly little skilsaw Ryobi makes. It made me giggle when I first saw it... Stupid little tiny thing... But I use it exclusively for bobbing rafter tails (in place), and it is always with me if I am up in the trusses... I could almost cut my own blocking up there... And I DO, quite a bit.