Author Topic: Why are electric vehicles sales lagging in Texas? Maybe range anxiety, advocates and dealers say  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
San Antonio Express by James Osborne, Diego Mendoza-Moyers 12/17/2022

Why are electric vehicles sales lagging in Texas? Maybe range anxiety, advocates and dealers say

Inside the Ancira Kia dealership on the Northwest Side, adorned with giant red and green Christmas bows, a few models of the South Korean automaker’s electric vehicles sat alongside their gas-powered counterparts on a recent afternoon.

But as boxy Kia Souls pulled in and out of the dealership’s parking lot on Bandera Road, customers weren’t looking much at the electric vehicles, such as the EV6 Wind. While car shoppers often ask about EVs, as they’re called, they mostly choose hybrid vehicles instead, said John Paul Rivera, a sales manager at the Kia dealership.

“There’s definitely a lot of hype, a lot of interest” around EVs, Rivera said. “People still love their trucks, SUVs. The other thing too is (EVs) are really expensive. Not everyone can buy a $50,000 car.”

So far this year, electric vehicles represent almost 7 percent of all U.S. car sales, more than double the rate two years ago, as motorists in California and along the East Coast rush to pick up one of the multitude of new electric offerings from automakers such as Ford and Tesla.

But in Texas and other states in the middle of the country, the market isn’t quite so charged. In 2022, just 4.3 percent of cars sold in Texas have been electric models, compared with 19 percent in California, according to data firm Atlas Public Policy.

More: https://www.expressnews.com/sa-inc/article/electric-vehicles-sales-lagging-Texas-17659988.php

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Dealers in Texas already are hearing concerns from electric pickup truck customers that hauling trailers or boats will reduce the distance EVs can travel on a charge, he said.

“The average user buys them because they look cool. They’re not hauling hay,” Whitehurst said. “But people that hear stories, like if you run your AC or heater it’ll deplete your battery, they’ll think twice.”

I don't know about "Average User", but living in the city I do see pickups that I just know the owners would never take their "baby" offroad. Or even scratch-up the bed by hauling anything.

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Might also be the  millions whose livelyhoods depend on energy jobs direct and indirect.

These crappy EV's are a direct threat, and they know it.  Why support shit that might take your job?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

:beer:

Orange, Texas, U.S.A.  Live 30-40 miles from that sign.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, it isn't just Texas...

Electric vehicles now make up about 0.44% of all light-duty vehicle sales in North Dakota, but are forecast to reach 3% by 2030, 7% to 9% by 2035, 12% to 16% by 2040 and 18% to 25% by 2045, according to state estimates.

And those would likely be all city folks who would use them around town, with something else for intercity travel and winter driving.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

What the heck good is a car that can get you only 100 miles from where you were?  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Even in Iowa, going corner to corner is beyond the range of EV's in one charge.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
It surprises me that it's as high as 4.3%. Can you imagine a trip from The Woodlands (North Houston) to Galveston in the summer??  80 miles 1 way! Hmm ... how many charging stations does Galveston have?  :shrug:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
And remember that 1 full charge isn’t necessarily cheaper than 1 full tank.

Offline berdie

They might be ok in an urban area where there isn't a lot of mileage involved. But, of course, the first time the folks can't drive due to being unable to charge their cars...Katy bar the door!

Rural areas...fuggetabout it.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
What the heck good is a car that can get you only 100 miles from where you were?  :silly:

Can you imgaine being In ND on I-80 in a blizzard hoping your EV battery holds out?

Stupid greenie envirowhackos just don't think things through, and society suffers.

Offline Hoodat

Can you imagine a trip from The Woodlands (North Houston) to Galveston in the summer??  80 miles 1 way!

That's a 4-hr drive in Houston.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline berdie

Can you imgaine being In ND on I-80 in a blizzard hoping your EV battery holds out?

Stupid greenie envirowhackos just don't think things through, and society suffers.

That is what is concerning and maddening. Things have not been thought through.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
That's a 4-hr drive in Houston.

Not yet. It's still less than 2 hrs.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Not yet. It's still less than 2 hrs.

Back in the early '90's it was pretty close with all that Gulf Freeway construction...  at least 3 hours...  Houston to Galveston.

Online libertybele

I've seen a few commercials with someone plugging in an EV in the snow ... I have to chuckle. EV's don't do so well with moisture and water; they tend to catch fire.  Snow melts. :laugh:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Smokin Joe

Even in Iowa, going corner to corner is beyond the range of EV's in one charge.
In North Dakota, especially in winter, and especially with a headwind, you are unlikely to make it from one major town to the next on a single charge, even in the East, where they are closer together.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Range Anxiety?"  Are You ****ing kidding me???

Now not buying an electric car because it won't get you to where you need to go is a mental illness.  I'm surprised they don't call it "DistancePhobia."

A trip from Dallas to the Capital of TX will wipe out a charge.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:21:36 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I've seen a few commercials with someone plugging in an EV in the snow ... I have to chuckle. EV's don't do so well with moisture and water; they tend to catch fire.  Snow melts. :laugh:

They know better than to broadcast that crap in these parts....LOL....

"What is this snow, of which you speak?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online libertybele

Right. I'm not sure why they advertise commercials with snow around here. Maybe for the snowbirds that come down to visit.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Right. I'm not sure why they advertise commercials with snow around here. Maybe for the snowbirds that come down to visit.  :shrug:

I looked up annual weather stats for my town, and BHC gets snowfall like 0.01 inches per year.
I will NOT comply.

Online Smokin Joe

I'd send you a box (running out of places to pile it), but they'll just mess it up in shipping.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I'd send you a box (running out of places to pile it), but they'll just mess it up in shipping.

UPS would dehydrate it....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
IMO with removable batteries, EV's would be unstoppable. Think of gas powered equipment vs. battery powered equipment. Battery works with basically as much power (debatable, yes), and you can just throw more batteries at it if you're worried. Keep a few in the trunk. Plus no futzing around with oil changes and maintenance.