Author Topic: How the forced hospitalization of 'mentally ill' people in need will work in NYC  (Read 374 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How the forced hospitalization of 'mentally ill' people in need will work in NYC
Mayor Eric Adams announced the initiative Tuesday.

ByKiara Alfonseca
November 30, 2022, 7:10 PM

Mayor announces plan to hospitalize more mentally ill people involuntarily

New York City Mayor Eric Adams has directed the NYPD and peace officers to take individuals who appear "to be mentally ill" and "a danger to themselves" into custody involuntarily for psychiatric evaluations if they may be a harm, even if they are not considered to be an imminent threat to the public.

"Without that intervention, they remain lost and isolated from society, tormented by delusions and disordered thinking," said Adams in a Tuesday press conference. "They cycle in and out of hospitals and jails, but New Yorkers rightly expect our city to help them and help them we will."

The directive has stoked outrage, controversy and debate about homelessness and mental illness, and how to tackle both issues.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/forced-hospitalization-mentally-ill-people-work-nyc/story?id=94210773
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hitler got rid of, er, helped mentally ill people, too. :dighole:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bkmk
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, with transgenderism and pride parades galore, who will be considered "mentally ill" with "delusions and disordered thinking"?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis