Author Topic: Trump Backs McCarthy for Speaker, Tells Opponents to Stand Down: ‘I Think He Deserves the Shot’  (Read 2479 times)

Offline cato potatoe

I’m not happy about McCarthy, but who is the alternative?  If it’s a far right candidate, he must garner nearly every vote from the moderates.  The dems get to vote too.  Honestly the midterms were a catastrophe and we’re fortunate to be in a position to (potentially) elect a speaker who is not a far left democrat.  Better take what we can get and try again in 2025.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
No he doesn't. It's time for Kevin to step back and allow a consensus candidate like Steve Scalise to come forward as Speaker, and Kevin take his spot.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

No he doesn't. It's time for Kevin to step back and allow a consensus candidate like Steve Scalise to come forward as Speaker, and Kevin take his spot.

Agree with it or not, McCarthy is the consensus candidate @Free Vulcan

Conservatives Warn of ‘Doomsday Scenario’ if McCarthy Fails in Speaker Race Where Democrats Neuter GOP Power
Breitbart, Nov, 28, 2022

Republicans had in conference earlier in November selected McCarthy as their official nominee for Speaker. He won 188 votes, and former House Freedom Caucus chairman Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ)—who ran against him in conference—won 31 votes. McCarthy’s 188 votes is impressive and better than he has ever gotten before, and he had fewer defectors than his predecessor, former Speaker Paul Ryan, got in conference when he ran for Speaker the first time in 2015

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Like "consensus" has worked out so well  for us thus far.  :thud:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

I expect McCarthy will get the five Democrat votes he needs to become Speaker.  And for the next two years, he will be paying back Democrats for those five votes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I expect McCarthy will get the five Democrat votes he needs to become Speaker.  And for the next two years, he will be paying back Democrats for those five votes.

The fact McCarthy prefers dealing with dims than conservative GOP members speaks volumes of exactly how McCarthy will govern as Speaker.

More uni-party for all..   Wooo Hooo!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

The fact McCarthy prefers dealing with dims than conservative GOP members

Where are you pulling this from?

President Trump Warns GOP House, The Alternative to McCarthy Could be Worse

President Trump is correct. The conservative House took down John Boehner, the creepy and emotionally unstable 60-year-old sitting at the end of the bar who hits on your 21-year-old daughter.   What came next was Paul Ryan, the current brother-in-law to radical SCOTUS Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, and the Wisconsin politician married to a Democrat lobbyist.

Ryan then blocked any effort to hold the FBI accountable for their role in the 2016 election and the promotion of Russiagate. Then followed that obstruction with an intentional effort to lose the 2018 midterm election, while announcing his own resignation.

Kevin McCarthy might suck, but at least he sucks in a controlled environment.

I’m not a fan of Kevin McCarthy, few would dislike him more than I; however, in the final analysis who else has put their name in the hat and is going to -or could- get the entire republican caucus on their side?

The GOP only has a five-vote House margin.

It takes a simple majority to confirm the House Speaker.

What other method, candidate, representative or alternative position is there to take?

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/blog/2022/12/18/president-trump-warns-gop-house-the-alternative-to-mccarthy-could-be-worse/ 

Online roamer_1

The fact McCarthy prefers dealing with dims than conservative GOP members speaks volumes of exactly how McCarthy will govern as Speaker.

More uni-party for all..   Wooo Hooo!!!!

This is why it ain't gonna change. Especially with Tumpy. He just endorsed a big piece of the swamp right there.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Where are you pulling this from?

From the reports and speculation that McCarthy might need dim votes to put him over the finish line for Speakership.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Apparently not, he's still quite a few votes short.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
From the reports and speculation that McCarthy might need dim votes to put him over the finish line for Speakership.

Why not, they know the most likely candidate to feign opposition to their will.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

This is why it ain't gonna change. Especially with Tumpy. He just endorsed a big piece of the swamp right there.

Trump ànd other sane voices are trying to save a meaningful Republican Speakership with a five (5) seat majority in the House.

The caucas selected McCarthy as their candidate and he will be put to a House vote on Jan 3.  If he fails to get 218 votes he's gone and all hell breaks out.  You can bet your ass McCarthy's replacement WILL negotiate with the demonrats to bypass and neuter the conservatives.

You will end up with a "shared" Speakership with Republicans losing control of committee rules, subpoena power, House rules, and the legislative agenda.

But, by all means continue to blame "Tumpy" for sending out a clarion call to think this through.  After all, the genius of your political strategic acumen is legendary.

Apparently not, he's still quite a few votes short.

Nope @Free Vulcan

Conservatives Warn of ‘Doomsday Scenario’ if McCarthy Fails in Speaker Race Where Democrats Neuter GOP Power
Breitbart, Nov, 28, 2022

Republicans had in conference earlier in November selected McCarthy as their official nominee for Speaker. He won 188 votes, and former House Freedom Caucus chairman Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ)—who ran against him in conference—won 31 votes. McCarthy’s 188 votes is impressive and better than he has ever gotten before, and he had fewer defectors than his predecessor, former Speaker Paul Ryan, got in conference when he ran for Speaker the first time in 2015

The threat is to defeat McCarthy on the House floor ----- which will ultimately force Republicans to share the powers of the Speakership.

Then conservative holdouts need to throw their support behind McCarthy.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Huh?  Why are you so hell bent supporting this RINO, when all it would take would be for McCarthy to accept some conservative concessions for their votes?

This centralist bullshit is just being repackaged as complicity to the Biden disaster.  I want no part of that.

Online roamer_1

Trump ànd other sane voices are trying to save a meaningful Republican Speakership with a five (5) seat majority in the House.

The caucas selected McCarthy as their candidate and he will be put to a House vote on Jan 3.  If he fails to get 218 votes he's gone and all hell breaks out.  You can bet your ass McCarthy's replacement WILL negotiate with the demonrats to bypass and neuter the conservatives.

You will end up with a "shared" Speakership with Republicans losing control of committee rules, subpoena power, House rules, and the legislative agenda.

But, by all means continue to blame "Tumpy" for sending out a clarion call to think this through.  After all, the genius of your political strategic acumen is legendary.

In other words... The same damn thing either way, so...  :shrug:

The only difference would be to rally behind the conservatives.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Fist time I've heard telling people to shut up and do as they are told a clarion call. :shrug:

Offline Hoodat

Nope @Free Vulcan

The threat is to defeat McCarthy on the House floor ----- which will ultimately force Republicans to share the powers of the Speakership.

McCarthy needs 218 votes to become Speaker.  With five GOP House members refusing to vote for him, that leaves a maximum of 217 Republican votes, one vote short to becoming Speaker.  So McCarthy will need at least one Democrat vote to become Speaker.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Or maybe anti-Conservative RINO holdouts need to throw their support behind Jim Jeffords.

Offline Hoodat

First time I've heard telling people to shut up and do as they are told a clarion call. :shrug:

Democrats have been doing it for years.  Now we have to listen to people allegedly on our side embracing Democrat Party politics.