Author Topic: NC Supreme Court strikes down voter ID constitutional amendment  (Read 488 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
NC Supreme Court strikes down voter ID constitutional amendment
« on: December 16, 2022, 09:30:26 pm »
North Carolina’s Supreme Court on Friday struck down a state voter ID requirement, finding that it was enacted with a racially discriminatory purpose and violated the state’s constitution.

Senate Bill 824 — which was passed by the state’s Republican-controlled legislature in 2018 over a veto from its Democratic governor — sought to implement a state constitutional amendment requiring photo ID to vote.

The court found that while the law appeared neutral on its face, it was enacted “to target African-American voters who were unlikely to vote for Republican candidates.”

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3778257-nc-supreme-court-strikes-down-voter-id-constitutional-amendment/
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: NC Supreme Court strikes down voter ID constitutional amendment
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 11:41:47 pm »
Hmmm, is it unconstitutional then to require ID for anything else in NC.......if you is Black that is.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 11:43:58 pm »
That is always the racist argument of liberal judges.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 11:45:59 pm »
Someone help me out here.

How can a Constitutional Amendment be declared unconstitutional?

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis